Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 281 Needle-nose "Duel"

Hi all, this is my first post here in the "on the workbench" section, but I wanted to give some update on my Duel semi. I usually only build car and light duty truck models, but I cannot resist the challenge of a replica of the Duel semi. Since I do not build a lot of semis, I am sure I have made some errors on things. Please feel free to let me know. I am always looking to better myself.

Wheels and tires are from Jamie at Moluminum. I love the quality! The resin conversion pieces are from AITM, I also am blown away by the quality. So far I have a little done after spending what feels like a long time on it. I am just trying to get this replica correct. I had to scratch build a radiator to fit in the confines of the smaller hood, the box on the back of the cab was used for hiding a camera while filming. It needs some touching up here and there, but I am happy with the results so far.The battery box is funny, the diamond plate step part just sits on there and I did not like that, and it was open underneath and the back. I filled in the open parts so it looked closed and added straps to the step part so it could come on and off. I think it looks good for what it is. Fuel tanks are a little rough, I sanded most of the straps down and I had to add more. I'm really taking my time on this one, since I enjoy the process so much.

The tractor kit is the recent AMT California Hauler, a good kit. Too much chrome if you ask me. For the tanker I will be using the Dodge L700/tanker kit 

Thanks for looking, everyone.

Jacob 

IMG_5257.thumb.jpg.15ab5f96271827b3c1f4c7c36de252f2.jpgIMG_5634.thumb.jpg.f300f73b36ad5923f3226b0ed7813b6f.jpgIMG_5694.thumb.jpg.9c5416c42e7f33df79c091630dfddba1.jpgIMG_5758.thumb.jpg.d8086ababa641ecf40ec11b71b255168.jpgIMG_5755.thumb.jpg.5b532e1e74fe5e40617577bddab04b7c.jpgIMG_5820.thumb.jpg.e6d904289640a3689c2966c7d90d5018.jpgIMG_5633.thumb.jpg.bd72e9f1b135aa56dee824338500719b.jpgIMG_5696.thumb.jpg.37ec3a843d6ebebab187f6f72b861869.jpgIMG_5819.thumb.jpg.a30e5b8f75f0b3f9c78c616411c2b973.jpgIMG_5622.thumb.jpg.737ddb75fb8859620ee43d91a53d4b4c.jpgIMG_5695.thumb.jpg.190ce1221ee99d19de4c5cba17c7ceef.jpgIMG_5761.thumb.jpg.d159e51d7942c799c0e7a234e23bf4fa.jpg

Looks great so far!

I have several pictures of Brad Wike's Duel truck on my Flickr page. It is supposed to be one of the surviving trucks from the movie. There was also an episode of "The Incredible Hulk' called "Never Give a Trucker an Even Break" that used one of the surviving trucks as well as a ton of scenes from the movie. There a a few inside shots of the swamp cooler in the Hulk episode. I believe that you can find it on Youtube. Brad Wike's truck and the truck in the Hulk episode do not look the same on the inside. Brad's truck was originally a 281 and I think that it had a Page and Page suspension, but it has since been converted to dual drive with a newer suspension similar to the one found in the AMT Freightliner kit.

33079080952_8636d0b607_k.jpgIMG_1048 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one!!

As you probably already know, there were a 2 or 3 different Peterbilts  used  in the full movie. Your dual drive Pete with mid 60's cab and one piece rims  is correct for the add on scenes ( railroad track push scene and bus push scene -  see link below ) I believe it was a  '64,  the  rest of the trucks  were mid 50's,  with older style cab,  2 piece rims and single drive with tag axle.  I agree the mollenium wheels are  great,  the AMT steel wheel discs used on the ALF pumper were a disappointment, not enough   offset.  Looks like you got  the right pieces for a fantastic Duel truck. IMO, the best thing that ever happened to the California Hauler is the availability of  281 front end in resin.  http://moparblog.com/movie-mopar-of-the-week-the-1971-plymouth-valiant-from-duel/

Edited by leafsprings

There is my article on the Duel Rig in the November 2015 edition of Model Cars mag that may be of interest. Unfortunately they did not print the tanker trailer drawings that I supplied with the article. Tractor unit was converted from the AMT California Hauler kit. Hope this helps.

@Bugatti Fan Thank you for the info on the article. I will look it up here soon! 

@gotnitro? Thank you for the kind words! You definitely need to watch the movie soon!

@leafsprings I appreciate the link to that website, it was a good read. And also thank you for the information regarding the truck itself.  I hope the scale version turns out well.

@DRIPTROIT 71 Very cool background information on the truck. I'll check out your Flickr soon to see some more photos. The one you shared is great.

I decided to begin work on the tanker itself. I had never had any experience with a Lindberg kit before. It is interesting to say the least. Here is what I have so far. The suspension is really simple, I'll need to add something to it to make it look more realistic. I'm not up to making my own leafs yet, but I would like to someday. The tanker itself has a lot of mold lines and sinks in it. I used a lot of putty. This is just the front half of the tanker, I will have to section out a hearty portion and lower the suspension some for it to sit correctly.  Small steps, one at a time.

IMG_5878.thumb.jpg.422273e98aa671367454296a7cb7c2e2.jpgIMG_5865.thumb.jpg.7ec15ab358a20e8c42d087dbb4580c22.jpgIMG_5879.thumb.jpg.f72022b942cd31d0706dcd242af647ec.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Lindberg tanker dates back to the late 60’s when IMC ( Industro Motive Corp) released the first of modern commercial truck kits so yes the kits are somewhat different in execution but they do build up well with a little effort. To get the look of the movie trucks sand flush the molded on rubber gasket around the perimeter of the windshield and replace with a slightly larger gasket easily made using evergreen 1/2 round styrene strip. The drip rail on the roof also extends all the way around the rear of the cab instead of stopping at the door tops. Looking forward to seeing your progress 

Rick

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, DrKerry said:

LOoking good so far!!!!

Thank you!

On 9/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, PettyKW43 said:

The Lindberg tanker dates back to the late 60’s when IMC ( Industro Motive Corp) released the first of modern commercial truck kits so yes the kits are somewhat different in execution but they do build up well with a little effort. To get the look of the movie trucks sand flush the molded on rubber gasket around the perimeter of the windshield and replace with a slightly larger gasket easily made using evergreen 1/2 round styrene strip. The drip rail on the roof also extends all the way around the rear of the cab instead of stopping at the door tops. Looking forward to seeing your progress 

Rick

Thank you for the background on the IMC, now Lindberg kit. I've been fiddling with it some and it will do the job fine with some work like you said. No fun in a kit that puts itself together. I also appreciate the tips for the build, with the windshield and drip rail. I'll add that to my list of notes.

As for everyone else who has been watching the thread and build, I have been really busy with my Master's program so not much time to build. This weekend should allow me some time, even if it is just doing more sanding on the tanker itself. I appreciate everyones support here. 

On 10/24/2018 at 8:55 PM, redneckrigger said:

Looking great! Keep the updates coming!

Thank you! It will be on the bench this weekend.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, bandit1 said:

Cool build, Did you say if i read it right that the hood is an AITM piece? 

Sean, you read that correct! A nice piece and only a little clean-up needed. 

On 10/28/2018 at 3:47 AM, gatorincebu said:

Great project ! That was a pretty good movie for being a very low budget one. And I have always like Dennis Weaver.

As for your model. It looks to me like you have it going on  !

Be Well

Gator

Hey Gator thanks for the kind words! I agree, for a low budget movie it is simply great. Hope to have a picture update here soon!

• 1 month later...

I know many of you have been waiting for some progress. I finally got some bench time tonight after dealing with a crazy semester at college. Feels good to be on break. I assembled some more of the engine after stripping all that chrome off. I then began working on the air cleaner for the semi, as the kit one seems kind of cartoony to me. Still new to scratch building and it isn't done yet, but i think it looks more accurate (a lot more) than the kit one. What do you all think?

The old Detroit.

From what I can tell, this should be Detroit green right? I saw a lot that were white, but a lot that were their signature green also.

IMG_5278.thumb.jpg.46617da53bfe056b9beaa21595c03634.jpg

Here is the Duel truck and air cleaner. 

5c132e3a25383_CloseupofPETE.jpg.83ab091449b6e69292f9c5c69205b450.jpg

Here is the kit one compared to mine:

I think mine looks pretty good!IMG_5282.thumb.JPG.33ff219a5eb6f97579daeb257b71dd23.JPG

And here it is sitting next to the cab. I'll have it sitting a little lower. The seems will be facing the cab so they are not visible.IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.005796e44971bb45f5f30458825c5c81.JPG

Comments are always appreciated!

At that time Peterbilt should have had white engines as most of them did, but the Duel trucks had either Cat or Cummins I 6 engines depending on wich one of the trucks it was.
The real truck in your picture is of the surviving Duel truck as it is today and that truck has a Cummins NTC 350 now but originally had a Cummins 262, the one used for most of the outside scenes was destroyed in the final crash scene and it had been repowered with a Cat 1674 sometime before it's movie appearence and had a yellow Cat 966 wheel loader style horizontal air cleaner.

Edited by Force

21 hours ago, Force said:

At that time Peterbilt should have had white engines as most of them did, but the Duel trucks had either Cat or Cummins I 6 engines depending on wich one of the trucks it was.
The real truck in your picture is of the surviving Duel truck as it is today and that truck has a Cummins NTC 350 now but originally had a Cummins 262, the one used for most of the outside scenes was destroyed in the final crash scene and it had been repowered with a Cat 1674 sometime before it's movie appearence and had a yellow Cat 966 wheel loader style horizontal air cleaner.

Wow! Thanks for that handy information. I’ll see what I can come up with for a Cummins or a Cat engine. Really appreciate the info here, sir.

I topped off the air cleaner tonight, it will work well.

Thanks for looking!

045B63EE-9CF5-4997-8D0F-B715D7DFD25C.thumb.jpeg.49ec9b2ed859a4892862614cc28ee7d1.jpeg35C47A79-0189-495E-8285-5CCC6514C2D1.thumb.jpeg.d65912693a225788ff2c88b243ba76b6.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Force said:

but the Duel trucks had either Cat or Cummins I 6 engines depending on wich one of the trucks it was.

I agree, but do we have any info on the engine in mid 60's Pete used in the add on scenes?  This build is using the "unilite cab"  used between '61-'72.  My guess, it was Cummins 6, probably a 250, the standard engine used in the mid 60's.

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

I agree, but do we have any info on the engine in mid 60's Pete used in the add on scenes?  This build is using the "unilite cab"  used between '61-'72.  My guess, it was Cummins 6, probably a 250, the standard engine used in the mid 60's.

That’s the one that comes in the Freightliner COE kit, correct?