Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 AMC Pacer Wagon

Harpo

1977 AMC Pacer wagon, from the AMT kit.  Vallejo white primer, Createx Iridescent green with gold mist, Createx Gloss Top Coat.  Rear side windows filled with kit-supplied panels, smoothed with Deluxe Materials "Perfect Plastic Putty".  My first experience with model putty (though I have done a lot of 1:1 body work), and my first attempt at high gloss on a model.  

I'm pleased with the overall results, but I know I can do better in the finish department.  A Nesco dehydrator is on the way, we'll see how it goes on the next kit!

5b594692e4114_77pacer1.jpg.3b030769b863a68ad1746f3e209c030a.jpg

5b59469c37ea0_77pacer2.jpg.c297598e3814615650da3aab107433dd.jpg

5b59469dee8c5_77pacer3.jpg.dafa445a5b382bafc369a0ad5641fe4a.jpg

5b59469eaa7d3_77pacer4.jpg.7e2d4cb9e750d1b2cc211cb8fb84c83b.jpg

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

The rear doors are interesting.How were they made?

The side and rear window block-off panels are supplied with the kit.  They require extensive putty make them flush; I got the sides done pretty well but not the back!

In spite of the imperfections, I'm really pleased with the overall look of this car.  Many thanks to all who have responded! 

Are those panels in all releases of that car? Seeing your build gave me a crazy urge to build a Pacer gasser, but I'd only want to do it to a wagon that had all the panels.

If you're not sure about other releases, which one did you have? I think I'll go ahead and buy one for a future project.

2 hours ago, smhardesty said:

Are those panels in all releases of that car? Seeing your build gave me a crazy urge to build a Pacer gasser, but I'd only want to do it to a wagon that had all the panels.

If you're not sure about other releases, which one did you have? I think I'll go ahead and buy one for a future project.

Kit number is AMT1008/12, I bought on Amazon: AMT 1008 1977 AMC Pacer Wagon

The side and rear window panels are included but they fit rather badly, lots of putty required.

5b5a7dab32b38_AMTAMC77pacerbox.jpg.c2dc40fa267b0999aa67df9fcd32d1f9.jpg

1 hour ago, webestang said:

My family owned several AMC cars ......lots of memories! 

As did mine. We had an AMC dealer in my little home town. Started out as a Studebaker dealer, then added Rambler, eventually becoming a full fledged AMC dealer. My folks drove nothing but Ramblers and AMCs for a long while.  I owned a Pacer for a while. The look of the thing intrigued me. The smoothness of the ride on the test drive sold me. The thing had a ton of interior space. My buddies called it my "pumpkin". Yeah, kind of looked like one.

I would have been a whole lot prouder if I had owned a wagon that looked like your build, Garry. Each time I look at it I get closer to pulling the trigger on buying one. Really nice job! Adding the panels changes the whole look of the car.