Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another project returning to the bench, 1954 Corvette Nomad.

Superbird McMonte

Oooh! Very nice Dominick! And your mods are correct as the 1:1 was based on a '55 Chevy regular car chassis, not the shorter Corvette one. Hope to see more!

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Either way, looks like you should be able to GITTER DONE by the end of the year (hint, hint!).  B)

I've got nearly two weeks off starting on the 21st of this month (job shut down for Christmas) and I hope to do EXACTLY THAT for that '74 Corvette............get it done! Might even start another resto along the way before jumping back on the Green Hornet. ;)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very, very cool! Are you planning to build it "stock" or go wild with it? Either way, looks like you should be able to GITTER DONE by the end of the year (hint, hint!).  B)

I plan on building it as one of 4 Motorama cars from 1954. In one of the pictures is the show car only hubcaps. They have the Corvette emblem in the center instead of the bow tie. It’s hard to see in the picture but you can see the bow tie is no there. ?‍♂️ I also modified and cast the air cleaner clearance 55 Corvette hood for all my 1955 Corvettes. Here are some pictures of the Hartop that is much farther along!

5E303A20-C2DB-4CB6-AC46-8F9D3413FD78.jpeg

73E1C16D-3A33-43C9-9FFA-5E9EE2E56887.jpeg

308D07B6-88D2-4DD4-8776-82B83C006B9B.jpeg

F86914AD-AEA0-47FB-AD1F-A47B11D22F29.png

DBB0D2CE-0A36-4043-9279-9E4F1BBEBA57.jpeg

Edited by Superbird McMonte
Photo

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Oooh! Very nice Dominick! And your mods are correct as the 1:1 was based on a '55 Chevy regular car chassis, not the shorter Corvette one. Hope to see more!

Always liked the proportions on the AMT 55 nomad.  Plus I like the monogram 53 Corvette over the AMT Corvettes. The scale difference helped putting the two cars together. 

I too started a similar project a few years back using the Corvette body with a shortened nomad roof as I felt the original 1:1 looked a little long to me. Never got much further than this stage before it went onto the back burner.

Good luck with the build, it has inspired me to get mine back on the bench.

3285AFE2-AFB1-498E-8557-D6CFB912C6B1.jpeg

I'm going to enjoy watching your build. I like your pictures showing where the body parts are joined.  You got the different body lines perfectly between the Nomad and the Corvette in the rear fenders and tail lights.   

15 hours ago, crossfire 2004 said:

I too started a similar project a few years back using the Corvette body with a shortened nomad roof as I felt the original 1:1 looked a little long to me. Never got much further than this stage before it went onto the back burner.

Good luck with the build, it has inspired me to get mine back on the bench.

3285AFE2-AFB1-498E-8557-D6CFB912C6B1.jpeg

Makes for a cute little two seat wagon!

Looks like you did a great job with the conversion! I've always liked the original Corvette Nomad concept, and to be honest I've had plans of building one in scale, too. Maybe someday, but meanwhile I'll be watching how this goes together.

• 5 years later...
On 12/7/2018 at 6:29 PM, Superbird McMonte said:

I guess I started this one 15-20 years ago.

Where ya been on this project Mickey?

I just scored a stalled/abandoned project that appears to have been started in the 70's or 80's... It's not completely accurate but I think it captures the concept close enough. 

I'm wondering if I should modern-day the thing or build it as a 60's custom backyard conversion?... say there was a kit you could buy to convert your 55 Nomad to the Dream Car design. I dunno, The Red glass is from the new Wompin Wagon...

20240212_191303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...