Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Dino 246GT

Justin Porter

Back to the "shelf of doom" to try and rescue a project from obscurity. This time it's the Testors issue of the 1/24th scale Fujimi Enthusiast series Dino 246GT.

Last night I got the body into primer (Tamiya Fine Grey) and started doing some detail painting on the engine which in the way-back-when I had airbrushed with Testors Metalizer Aluminum.

48213563_2127624663927723_30787404215814

48374006_2127624673927722_41568777151121

48177229_2127624683927721_74559744746517

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I have the spyder and hardtop Fujimi kits of this car!  Look forward to seeing this go together.

Yellow is a pain to do well, that blue is pretty nice.  But don't paint RED, some guys are triggered by the color.  :P

I wonder if its because RED makes him angry?.....if its the guy I think you're talking about, his favorite car company is Lamborghini!....or so I've heard

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

My fiance has been on my case to do a car in blue, and because I actually hadn't really picked a color for the car I've started leaning towards Chiaro Blue. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=54194&stc=1&

I love this kolor, bud!!….this kit/car is great!!, I will do mine in yellow.  I WILL be following this!!!

47 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

I wonder if its because RED makes him angry?.....if its the guy I think you're talking about, his favorite car company is Lamborghini!....or so I've heard

Don't know what you're talking about.  ;):rolleyes:  I've heard that rumor too.

How about maroon? This is a great color for this car. Had a chance to buy a maroon 246 or a Porsche 914-6. I bought the Porsche. Silver with black interior. The 246 was always in need of something. While the Porsche was more reliable. But today I would take the 246 just because of those body lines. And I can afford the repairs. The cars were at Ferrari of Los Gatos. I believe the 246 and the p4 are the best looking Ferrari’s ever. But that is my humble opinion. Great choice of cars. The blue is very sexy also. I believe you can paint this car any color and it would be great. Just like putting different color clothes on Megan Fox. All would look great because of those body lines. 

This is one of my favourite kits of all time. I didn't know Testors boxed this as well. I have a Fujimi Enthusiast and a Revell boxed version of this. Both are identical, but I think the decals are different. I think the blue will look great on this Justin. I will be watching your progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first update on the Dino and it's progressing nicely. I sanded down the handbrushed enamel flat black on the chassis and laid down a fresh coat of Vallejo Black Primer to tidy it up. The bulkhead and rear frame work is in place and the engine is now safely in its home for the model. The interior floor was painted with Vallejo Model Air Elfenbein Ivory. Finally I attended to trying to dress some of the less than perfect body joints in the kit to prepare for paint. 

49608137_2160707587286097_71801925286315

49846455_2160707597286096_44518840764832

49545973_2160707567286099_7094506466492549348558_2160707707286085_43415484754779

15 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

I am also building this kit. I'll be following this with interest hoping you show the way through any rough spots. I know what you mean about "less than perfect body joints", but I haven't gotten to the filling and sanding phase yet. Thanks for posting this!

The first tip I can definitely pass along is to keep your micro drill bits and pin vise handy because none of the holes for the locator pins are either wide or deep enough especially if you have any paint on anything. It's very easy to misalign parts because of this. 

Just finished mine.  Would have posted it, but it just keeps raining here in Myrtle.  Word of advice, take the grill back off.  I know it says to put it on before the chassis, but don't.  It's a fit issue.  You may have an issue with the wheel base as well, and an issue with the dash fit.  Those were the only real issues I had with the kit.  It was a real pain getting the dash right and getting the grill back on once the chassis is put in.  The housing for the radiator and fans makes it to where the grill won't fit.

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

The first tip I can definitely pass along is to keep your micro drill bits and pin vise handy because none of the holes for the locator pins are either wide or deep enough especially if you have any paint on anything. It's very easy to misalign parts because of this. 

Thanks, Justin. I've definitely run into poor fitting holes and pins. I'm very impressed that you managed to get the headers lined up and installed. The blobular pins made it impossible for me to tell if I had all those parts in the right position. I finally gave up on the transaxle side and bent my own out of aluminum wire. At least that way, things would stay where I put them until I got them all lined up.