Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 411 - Finished

This time I was looking for a car that is based on a 1967/68 Ford Taunus 20m. It was sold either with a 2.0l or 2.3l V6. It was manufactured in Italy by  Officine Stampaggi Industriali S.p.A. ( OSI).The correct is name is OSI 20M TS (German Site). Some sources  say Ford OSI or OSI Ford. It is the best looking Ford that was sold in Europe

Auto quiz 411.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

...I'm offering a special extra prize (a particularly vintage smidgeon of kudos, highly polished and carefully metered...) for anyone who wants to tell me what it ISN'T, as well as telling Michael what it is. If you track it down, and look into more than just its identity, you'll know what I mean, and I'll look forward to receiving your PM (no extra clues here, as always...)

best,

M.

7 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

...I'm offering a special extra prize (a particularly vintage smidgeon of kudos, highly polished and carefully metered...) for anyone who wants to tell me what it ISN'T, as well as telling Michael what it is. If you track it down, and look into more than just its identity, you'll know what I mean, and I'll look forward to receiving your PM (no extra clues here, as always...)

best,

M.

Thats a good idea. I still got a wrong answer.

On 27/01/2019 at 10:24 PM, Matt Bacon said:

If you track it down, and look into more than just its identity, you'll know what I mean

I know what it is, but I'm still not sure I get your meaning.  There are many things it isn't, but nothing's leaping out at me as the obvious answer to your question.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, Matt Bacon said:

"Matt Bacon cannot receive messages"

...and a small clue from me: there's a very well-known ("cult" in some circles) car from a mainstream manufacturer that was the winning proposal in an internal design competition that this design lost, which is why it ended up being used elsewhere. The winning design is the thing that this isn't...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

And for those who are wondering, the answer to my additional question “what ISN’T it?” is a Ford Capri. According to Steve Saxty’s new book “The Cars You Always Promised Yourself,” a history of “Ford’s Coupes and High Performance ST, XR and RS cars”, in 1965, Ford started work on a small coupe to emulate the success of the Mustang in the US. Work started in the International Studio at Dearborn. The GBX concept was shipped to the UK, where the British team started developing it further. In Germany, the local Ford design team were working on their own alternative coupe design based around their V6 engine. As the GBX evolved, Ford decided it couldn’t justify having two similar sporty coupes in Europe, so decided to launch the British version as the Capri, with the Cologne V6 as an option eventually. The Ford Germany design was passed to Officine Stampaggi Industriali (OSI) to produce, but even with Ford sales support, the OSI version was too expensive for large scale success...

best,

M.