Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1932 Chrysler roadster

bbowser

Does anyone know if the Henderson motorcycle was in any other release of this kit?  I have one of the first (I think) release but its missing one side of the front fork.  

DSCN4477.JPG

I have this version, it has the gangster parts but not the motorcycle.

SAM_3524.JPG

Edited by bbowser

I'm 90% certain the bike is only in the first issue you posted.

I picked one up a couple of years ago just for the bike.  I was assured by the seller that the bike was complete, but a few pieces were missing.  I can scratch the missing bits though. 

I always assumed the bike was an Ace, not a Henderson.  Guess I'll have to do some research. 

19 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I picked one up a couple of years ago just for the bike.  I was assured by the seller that the bike was complete, but a few pieces were missing.  I can scratch the missing bits though. 

I always assumed the bike was an Ace, not a Henderson.  Guess I'll have to do some research. 

You may be right.  I just went back and looked at the box and instructions and nowhere does it mention Henderson.  I guess I assumed because of the 4-cylinder exhaust pipe.  I got this one just for the bike as well and am pretty disappointed in the missing front fork half.  Not sure how I could go about scratching that?

11 minutes ago, bbowser said:

I got this one just for the bike as well and am pretty disappointed in the missing front fork half.  Not sure how I could go about scratching that?

Post an ad in the Wanted section, with a picture of the part you need. You never know who might have it...

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

My extensive 30 seconds of research says there wouldn't be much difference between a Henderson and an Ace.  Just enough to avoid copyright infringement.  William Henderson sold his motorcycle company to Excelsior (Schwinn) and worked there until 1919, when he left and started Ace Motor Corporation. He was killed testing a new Ace motorcycle in 1922.  Indian bought Ace in 1927 and named its 4-cylinder motorcycle the "Indian Ace."  But that only lasted for one year, until Indian modified the design further and dropped the Ace name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Motor_Corporation

Edited by Mike999
error

4 hours ago, ss2000 said:

I have the ‘70’s Connoisseur Classics issue, they didn’t have the bike or gang buster parts.

Just to confuse us, AMT used the "Connoisseur Classics" name twice. Something to be aware of when shopping for old kits.

You're right, the older CC issues from the '70's (red car on box) did not have the Gangbuster parts.  The later issue in 1987-ish (tan car on box) did have those parts, but not the motorcycle.  It has the figures, weapons, a safe with opening door, jewel box etc. 

Be warned that the Gangbuster parts are NOT mentioned anywhere on the box of that later re-issue. 

I've picked up several of those later kits just to get the Gangbuster parts.  And the nice straight-8 Chrysler engine.

conclas-1.jpg

conclas-2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I've picked up several of those later kits just to get the Gangbuster parts.  And the nice straight-8 Chrysler engine.

MPCChryslerImperialEngine.jpg.967448dd8f3eb5ef47b4c9d87465cb35.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 11:02 AM, pack rat said:

The instruction sheet makes no mention of a manufacturer, but a very neat complete bonus. :) 

MPCChryslerImperialGeegaws.jpg.b53e7d349a9be3dd79a9fe1409b4da85.jpg

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Just to confuse us, AMT used the "Connoisseur Classics" name twice. Something to be aware of when shopping for old kits.

You're right, the older CC issues from the '70's (red car on box) did not have the Gangbuster parts.  The later issue in 1987-ish (tan car on box) did have those parts, but not the motorcycle.  It has the figures, weapons, a safe with opening door, jewel box etc. 

Be warned that the Gangbuster parts are NOT mentioned anywhere on the box of that later re-issue. 

conclas-1.jpg

conclas-2.jpg

I totally forgot about the tan one, the red one is the one I have.

It is a Henderson Ace and only came in the 1st issue Chrysler roadster. If you have seen.this motorcycle it does not have a front brake but a brake lever on the handlebar. It has a clutch lever on the other end of handlebar but actually had a left foot clutch and a gas tank mounted clutch stick lever. Indian bought the Ace company and released a1928 Indian Ace with a front brake. That was the last year the Indian Four would would carry the Ace name with Indian. The kit motorcycle is also missing a intake manifold and carburetor and three seat springs. I date it as a 1927 Ace but Schwinn had bought Henderson which fell in line with their Excellsior motorcycles in 1918 and sold this 4 cylinder up to 1932. The Henderson brothers worked for Schwinn Henderson but left to form the Ace company around 1920 until their bankruptcy   After which Indian acquired them and sold the Four until 1942 WW2. I built one but had to scratch build the missing parts and photo-reduced Henderson Super X tank decals and cut off the fog lights. It makes a decent looking motorcycle when finished

On February 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM, Mike999 said:

conclas-1.jpg

conclas-2.jpg

I have been curious, how good does this kit build up?

This is how it looks in a built-up form.  This was a glue-bomb resto with a couple of minor deviations but I also had an unbuilt kit beside me to guide me as I went along.  The roundel at the front was for the NNL Nats "Vintage Beach Racing" cult theme a couple of years ago...

DSC 0616

DSC 0617

For comparison purposes, here are photos of a similar 1/1 1930 Indian Ace Four taken at the Concours of the Americas at St. John's in Plymouth Mi, last summer.  

DSC 0437

DSC 0439

DSC 0438

DSC 0441

DSC 0443

DSC 0442

DSC 0440

18 hours ago, slusher said:

I have been curious, how good does this kit build up?

Here's a link to a 2014 build thread for the Chrysler Phaeton. 

In Casey's pic above, you can see that the chassis is molded in one piece and the springs etc. are all separate parts.  Make sure the chassis isn't warped before you start building everything else, especially if you have one of the later re-issues.  The later re-issues also have quite a bit of flash, at least mine do.  The builder in the link complained about the fiddly working steering, something common to all the Gangbuster kits.  These are not "quick-build" kits, but they can come out looking great.

25 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Here's a link to a 2014 build thread for the Chrysler Phaeton. 

In Casey's pic above, you can see that the chassis is molded in one piece and the springs etc. are all separate parts.  Make sure the chassis isn't warped before you start building everything else, especially if you have one of the later re-issues.  The later re-issues also have quite a bit of flash, at least mine do.  The builder in the link complained about the fiddly working steering, something common to all the Gangbuster kits.  These are not "quick-build" kits, but they can come out looking great.

Thank you....

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, Mike999 said:

conclas-2.jpg

When the AMT-labeled series was reissued, Ertl had a booth at one of the shows I had set up at.  I won one of the '32 Chevy kits in a drawing, and opened it up to find the street rod version parts.  I asked the Ertl rep why they didn't mention or show those on the box, he said it was because the Chevy had street rod parts while the Chrysler and Lincoln had the gangster stuff.  Had all of the kits in the series had similar optional parts, they would have included the info on the boxes.

It's too bad MPC didn't offer any of them with closed body styles (coupe or sedan).  But back when these were created, the closed cars were mostly looked at as parts cars to restore roadsters or phaetons.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Tim.

I wonder what it would take to get THIS kit re-issued, with the motorcycle? I'd certainly be in line for them, if only to get trustworthy tires. Some Clever Box Art and some spiffy decals might move a few of the Roadster kits, at least. I'll never see the "Ma Barker" touring kit again. I can see the Roadster with options for the Bootlegger, the Police Car, and it would make a great, period correct Fire Chief car as well.  The best part, is that the kit could be run as it is now, without the Cycle and still do all three options. One of the Master builder on the board here built a 1933 Indy Pace Car from this kit too. It had spoke wheels that he had resin cast, but was otherwise box stock. I remember reading the article in this magazine. I corresponded with the man who built it, trying to get a set of the wheels myself. He was very gracious about it but the were really a One Time, Custom deal. I need to scratch up a set myself. (Unless Round2 would tool up a set, and sell  a 1933 Indy Pace Car kit!) 

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Italeri already has a 1933 Imperial roadster,  so they would be the ones to talk to about a pace car kit.  AMT has released Heller kits in the past, and MPC has done Airfix, so maybe this is something Round 2 could look into?

In any case, the return of the MPC classics would be most welcome.

They sure would be welcome, and you may have found the right path to get them re-issued.  Round 2 recently released the Italeri Peterbilt 378 truck kit in an AMT box, discussed in the thread below. A quick search showed that the Italeri '33 Chrysler has also been re-boxed by Academy.

I'd forgotten about the Italeri Peterbuilt.    So the two companies have done business before.

So there you go.  Rebox the Italeri '33 Imperial with a set of Pace Car decals, as the "Special Indy Pace Car Edition".  Do the same with the '53 Ford convertible, the '79 Corvette, and any other appropriate kits they have in the inventory.

Assuming the folks behind Indy don't get too crazy about licensing, of course.

Edited by Richard Bartrop