Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1932 Chrysler roadster

bbowser

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Just noticed Motor City Resin Casters offers the Ace motorcycle: http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/1930sAceHendersonKit.htm

ebaybike.jpg.b24e1c58ab608c5e87e8e16fafe9af50.jpg

If I am recalling correctly, Norm at Replicas and MIniatures of Maryland has also cast copies, although I don't believe they were ever formally in his catalog, and I doubt that they are currently available new.    TIM  

18 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks, Tim.

I wonder what it would take to get THIS kit re-issued, with the motorcycle? I'd certainly be in line for them, if only to get trustworthy tires. Some Clever Box Art and some spiffy decals might move a few of the Roadster kits, at least. I'll never see the "Ma Barker" touring kit again. I can see the Roadster with options for the Bootlegger, the Police Car, and it would make a great, period correct Fire Chief car as well.  The best part, is that the kit could be run as it is now, without the Cycle and still do all three options. One of the Master builder on the board here built a 1933 Indy Pace Car from this kit too. It had spoke wheels that he had resin cast, but was otherwise box stock. I remember reading the article in this magazine. I corresponded with the man who built it, trying to get a set of the wheels myself. He was very gracious about it but the were really a One Time, Custom deal. I need to scratch up a set myself. (Unless Round2 would tool up a set, and sell  a 1933 Indy Pace Car kit!) 

Alan.....interesting comment.  

I've written 50 Classic Kits Columns now (several are yet to be published); almost all are about kits that were thought to be permanently out of production.  But if you go back through the list of topics, a number of those kits have actually reappeared within a few years (and there is at least one kit that I covered, that is still in the process of being prioritized for the work required to bring it back to market).  At the time I wrote the Classic Kits column on the '32 Imperial (a little over a year ago), Round 2 had no immediate plans to reissue it, either with or without the bike.  But past experience would suggest "never say never".    TIM     

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

At the time I wrote the Classic Kits column on the '32 Imperial (a little over a year ago), Round 2 had no immediate plans to reissue it, either with or without the bike.  But past experience would suggest "never say never".    TIM     

With their recent streak of offering kits with "extras" (60 pickup, 86 Elco, 66 Elco, etc) this kit would fit right in with that methodology. Or maybe release the cycle a s a parts pack? It's fun to daydream

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, alexis said:

So, Tim.. "Never say Never!" Indeed.

I wonder if this will be the Roadster or the Phaeton this time.  Anyway, Fresh Decals and Fresh Tires!! Woopee!

Alan...from what I understand, it will be the Roadster, along with a few tweaks too.   Best...TIM

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Also, a big round of applause to Round 2 for bringing back one of their classic kits.  Here's hoping that more will follow.

and let's hope they sell! 

As time marches on the cars at car shows get newer since people want to own the cars they remember from their youth.  These cars are near 90 years old now and people who remember the 1930s cars first hand are pretty much gone.  The classic cars kits were produced in the 1960s when these cars were 30+ years old and a lot of their fans were alive.  Let's hope enough modelers want these to make them viable.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

As time marches on the cars at car shows get newer since people want to own the cars they remember from their youth.  These cars are near 90 years old now and people who remember the 1930s cars first hand are pretty much gone.  The classic cars kits were produced in the 1960s when these cars were 30+ years old and a lot of their fans were alive.  Let's hope enough modelers want these to make them viable.

That's always been a part of the car hobby for sure, but thankfully not everyone has that limited a worldview.  Cars like this are interesting precisely because they are outside our experience.  They represent a time that is in many ways as alien to us as the world of Game of Thrones.   Someone in the brought up steampunk in the brass era model thread,  a whole fantasy genre based on 19th and early 20th century tech.  There are people who  are interested in this stuff, though as you say, it remains to be seen if there are enough to make it worthwhile, though it seems a few companies think there might be.

In any case, I'll take this over yet other painfully boring generic malaisewagen any time.

10 hours ago, gray07 said:

Has anyone ever made a street rod out of this kit.

Also, Ohio's Dan Thomas did a terrific street rod style kitbash of this kit back in the 1980's.  I believe that I showed the model in my "modeler's corner" column in Street Rodder magazine back then....and I am pretty sure it was pictured in the other model car magazine back in the day as well.....TIM .

On 2/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Tom Geiger said:

That has been the popular view of the car hobby for a long time,  yet in practice that view has not been borne out, as evidenced by the resurgence of the brass era cars in the hobby.

Personally I never found cars from 1973 on particularly interesting  but my family always had an antique car or two around.  I dug through old Hemmings Motor News and fantasized about cars from the '20s and '30s. It's what I liked as a kid, and what I like now, though my interests have expanded dow to about 1905 and up to about 1948. 

Back to the topic at hand, yes, i will be buying a couple of these. Can't wait. 

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

That has been the popular view of the car hobby for a long time,  yet in practice that view has not been borne out, as evidenced by the resurgence of the brass era cars in the hobby.

Some of the younger folk are getting into the vintage hot rods and speed equipment, like the "Race of Gentlemen" type of thing where they stick to period (pre-1950 or thereabouts) equipment.  They're putting that stuff together and running it, whereas a lot of the older guys seemed to be content to hoard it or bring it out on a trailer and push it into a display spot.

• 2 months later...

Man, I hope, hope, hope that the Ace Motor cycle makes it Back.

I'll need to order about 6 sets of tires too. All my MPC Chrysler and Lincoln kits need tires. Even the 1990's re-issues suffer from tire melt.