Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson "MonoCoque" Mustang F/C: On the Workbench 3/21/19

S-A-W-E-E-T John............and nice to see you back posting on the forum.  There are so many details you''ve captured on this build.  Be sure to put a small "build book" showing pics of the construction (like the interior of the monocoque chassis).  The paint, as always is stellar and I can't wait to see the outdoor pics.    Again, welcome back John.......cheers, tim

I know it’s a small detail in the big-picture - but check out the magnesium finish on those wheels!  Wow!  What did you use for that, John?  And did you get something new started yet? 🤪😂

GREAT build - and I was really interested to learn about the innovative frame this car used.  Way cool project!

So glad to see the “Michelangelo of car models” has resumed posting  masterpieces here! We missed you Mr. Teresi! Your paintwork is unbelievably! Looking forward to seeing outdoor pics of this unique and innovative FC.

Edited by papajohn97
Spelling

21 hours ago, Codi said:

S-A-W-E-E-T John............and nice to see you back posting on the forum.  There are so many details you''ve captured on this build.  Be sure to put a small "build book" showing pics of the construction (like the interior of the monocoque chassis).  The paint, as always is stellar and I can't wait to see the outdoor pics.    Again, welcome back John.......cheers, tim

Thank you Tim.......you are an Awesome Friend!!!!!

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I know it’s a small detail in the big-picture - but check out the magnesium finish on those wheels!  Wow!  What did you use for that, John?  And did you get something new started yet? 🤪😂

GREAT build - and I was really interested to learn about the innovative frame this car used.  Way cool project!

Jim......I  lightly airbrushed Tamiya XF-69 over Chrome Alclad and then gave a light wash with "Folk Art" Acrylic Black paint......thank you!!!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MAGIC MUFFLER said:

It looks pretty amazing!!!  I hope all the photos I posted when I worked on the real car were somehow helpful to you in this build.  

I would like to see it at the next show you mentioned but don't know where it's at.  NNL 2022?

Billy......your photos were a great reference .......I will be attending the NNL West in Santa Clara Ca.next week Sat. June 11th hope to see you.......thank you!!!!!

42 minutes ago, absmiami said:

you KILLED it!

LOVE it - one of my favorite funny cars

i never understood why the monocoque frame never took hold w the NHRA ...

Do you know ?

Not sure…..I would guess handling problems…..thank you.

On 6/6/2022 at 1:47 PM, John Teresi said:

Not sure…..I would guess handling problems…..thank you.

Hi John!

I read a long article a few years ago about the Monocoque Mustang, and a crew member said that the car was very light, which was an asset as far as pure acceleration was concerned, but... was a liability for handling at the end of the track. The air extractors near the rear tires, that were supposed to evacuate the air entering the "pontoons" was supposedly too small, and the car lifted. It must have been major, because the FC pilots of the day were "fearles", as we all know. The important modifications that would have been needed to experiment and correct the issue were deemed too expensive for the projected life expectancy of the car. Plus, the two other typical Mustangs (the red and the blue) were making a killing, so, the business decision was easy to take. 

Ultimately, it became a fantastic museum piece. And you gave it a second life here!

It's interesting to note that another experimental Mustang, with an almost fully enclosed body, was also running at the time. But it, too, had a short carreer. The problem? Instability at high speed.

There's a pattern here, it seems... 

CT 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi John!

I read a long article a few years ago about the Monocoque Mustang, and a crew member said that the car was very light, which was an asset as far as pure acceleration was concerned, but... was a liability for handling at the end of the track. The air extractors near the rear tires, that were supposed to evacuate the air entering the "pontoons" was supposedly too small, and the car lifted. It must have been major, because the FC pilots of the day were "fearles", as we all know. The important modifications that would have been needed to experiment and correct the issue were deemed too expensive for the projected life expectancy of the car. Plus, the two other typical Mustangs (the red and the blue) were making a killing, so, the business decision was easy to take. 

Ultimately, it became a fantastic museum piece. And you gave it a second life here!

It's interesting to note that another experimental Mustang, with an almost fully enclosed body, was also running at the time. But it, too, had a short carreer. The problem? Instability at high speed.

There's a pattern here, it seems... 

CT 

CT…..very interesting …..thank you for the read….I really enjoyed it!!!!😃