Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

I mostly planned a way from the start to connect/disconnect the electrical for the lights in the removable hood assembly to the rest of the car.  I found some easy-lock nine-pin connectors that would work and made one from brass with magnets so it should be easy to connect after the hood is installed to the body.  I'll detail them later.

Z8bGD8F.jpg

Q6McIMO.jpg

The rest of the car has been modified so much that when I revisited the front of the chassis I realized it needed to be reworked to match.  When I first converted it from right to left hand drive (back in June of 2019) I used a "stock" configuration.  But since the brakes and clutch systems have been upgraded, including the masters, it didn't fit the theme of the rest of the car anymore.  Truly a victim of progress.

I removed all the metal rivets that I made back then (except two that I temporarily used for alignment) and fabricated a new upper plate with a cleaner look that still followed the same style.  I went with ¼ inch diameter rivets instead of 3/8 inch. 

G0DgDQ0.jpg

LYSKYi4.jpg

• Like 1

I used the kit reflectors and lenses for the headlights, but I drilled out the reflectors and added halogen light bulbs.  Steel and clear plastic for the bulbs.

886ncPj.jpg

More work was done to the back side of the headlights for the electrical connectors.  They are made of brass and styrene.  They will get lightly weathered when the inside of the hood does.

sgmXzbe.jpg

The loom for the light wiring was made the same way as the one for the engine.   It takes 18 inches of armature wire to wrap one inch of the loom.

CT2W6Sw.jpg

The pigtails are just fastening features for the offshoots for each light assembly.

Yl51Hcu.jpg

It's tighter under there than I expected so I had to be careful how I routed the loom.  The driver's side headlight is connected here.

nNmEHpS.jpg

The lower driving lights have been turned into parking lights/turn indicators.  The front section that supports them had to be reworked to accommodate some other changes I made too; still a little finish work to do on that.  Those lights are connected here.

GUlQDyc.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

I'm gob-smacked Mark.  Too many, (I admit, no such thing as too many) great new details you've shared.  What a build this has turned out to be and I'll certainly keep following till her completion.  Amazing talents on display.  cheers, tim

Thanks Guys!  I appreciate the compliments!  

The tail lights got the same treatment as the headlights except I made the bulbs from thin clear tubing that was sealed on the ends with clear gloss.  Since the lenses are molded in clear I used Tamiya lacquers to tint them.

JWWQA69.jpg

I added details to the housings as well to accept the wiring/plugs.

9qxGHMA.jpg

I made the mounting brackets from aluminum.  I've found in real life these things work best when they are firmly mounted to a rigid part of the car.  They should be mounted as high and forward as possible, but not too close to the (semi-flexible Lexan in this case) windshield.  As great as these are for rear and side views they do clip a bit of the top off what can be seen out the front.  (You get used to it… Like having sun visors permanently down.)  I cut deep grooves into the roll bar for strength, and a welded-in look.

dhxe1LM.jpg

9xKty9T.jpg

Originally I made the mirror faces for the fender units out of chrome Mylar, but being as large as they are, I later thought they needed more depth...

K27F3Ag.jpg

So I made new ones from stainless steel while I was making the Wink panels.  (Mylar is literally 1000 times easier to work with.)  But the results are an improvement.  Sometimes the reflection is hard for the camera to capture too.

QzsurFX.jpg

bzbjULB.jpg

The mirror housings are painted the same color as the body will be.

iAt0p14.jpg