Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

I'm very pleased that the mass of engine went in and mated up to all the other parts as planned.  The transaxle and half shafts went in too once the engine mounts were seated.  There are a lot of very tight tolerances and only one order to install the parts/subassemblies in.  I was prepared for something to not line up, but it darn near fell together.

ajKwKIN.jpg

eEVtkt4.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Mark, it took an incredible amount of work to get to this.  Something you can definitely be proud off.  Please tell me what shows you are taking it to.  I just won't enter a model in them!  Flat out a true masterpiece! 

Thank you Pete!

It will NOT be at the Cruisin' For A Cure show next month on the 25th in Costa Mesa.  Why don't you come up and join us?  And bring a few models to enter in the contest too.

I should have just machined the velocity stacks as I originally thought I would in the first place years ago when I started this project.  I 3D designed and grew different ones thinking I could do better than old fashioned machining, but they just didn't look like what I wanted when I put them on the carbs.  I spent well over 50 hours chasing that approach. 

So I went back to "the old way".  I ground two steel tools and turned these stacks on my lathe using a compound slide for the inside to follow the shape of the outside cut.

SQSORbs.jpg

The flanges were made "old school" too as separate parts.

0QOqVsP.jpg

JJAzrMz.jpg

• Like 4

I went to install the alternator and noticed I needed to put the rear sway bar in first.  That meant I had to make it and the stabilizer links.  They are made of steel with fabricated resin ends.  But to install them I had to set up the rear suspension too.  After all that was done and the alternator was installed I made the belt and hooked up the wires.  I also added the PCV hoses to the breathers.

F7Niu81.jpg

lCGhOAP.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The hood assembly is getting close to being done.  The headlights and covers have been installed and wired.  The winglets are installed too.

4Fwsg5S.jpg

A little dust and dirt was added to the underside.  The rest of the wiring will be added after the lower light assembly is added.

Wg0EVAQ.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, mikemodeler said:

Just about? I challenge you to find another build here that comes close to this. It is incredible the details and numerous scratch built components that make up this build.

Not to take anything away from this exceptional work, but since you brought it up, Plastheniker, Codi, comp1839, StevenGuthmiller, Bill Cunningham, Chariots of Fire, and Randy Ditton come immediately to mind on this site. They work in very different styles, but nobody can deny they're all in the top tier of builders on the planet.

Then of course there was Gerald Wingrove, who set the bar so high very few will ever even approach it.

I'm continually inspired, and frankly awestruck, by all of them...including Scale-Master.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY