Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Nova "The Kiwi"

Fish_65

I attended a Hot Rod Drag Week at Great Lakes Dragway a few years ago and was inspired to build a car that you would see participating in that event. I really like street machines and drag cars so it didn't take much convincing to build it, lol.

So it's kind of a mashup between the 1st issue Revell '69 Nova & the Revell COPO Nova with a little AMT '66 Nova sprinkled in. When I ran across the Firebird Designs decals, I knew I had to build a Rally Nova. The rundown: SBC from the 1st issue Nova with a MAD distributor and a few parts box goodies. I really liked the way it looked with a tall slick, but couldn't fit them because of the wheelhouse size. So I grafted the rear frame section from the AMT Pro St 66 Nova to the '69 chassis to make room for the slicks (seems like a bunch of work to end up with leaf springs, but it gets the job done). I used all the non-SS body parts and front bench seat from the COPO kit. I used the roll bar from the 1st issue and there is no back seat. I painted the body with Testors Citrus Yellow Metallic lacquer straight out of the rattle can followed by Testors One-Coat clear. The green seems close enough to a factory color for me. Wheels are from the AMT '57 Vette St Machine kit and the tires are from the box-o-parts.

I will be adding a trailer hitch in the near future and may build a tag along trailer too.

I had a LOT of fun building this and it's one of my favorite builds to date.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6349.JPG

Thanks Guys ! I appreciate the kind comments. 

This kit went together so nice I'm gonna build another one :D Old school Street Machine though...Big Block, Tunnel Ram, Cragars or Slots...should be a hoot.

• 2 weeks later...