Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

25 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

hl.jpg.65844adbed1fbaa218482b4a3cd1ad5b.jpg

Just found this at my Hobby Loby, just paid nearly $40 for one online, HL price $ 29.99 - %40 = $17.99 + $ 1.26 tax = 19.25 ??

Ooh...my wife is gonna hate that. She bought ours from ebay at nearly $40 shipped. 

Side note: who's going to be the first to do a WIP thread? 

2 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

Ooh...my wife is gonna hate that. She bought ours from ebay at nearly $40 shipped. 

Side note: who's going to be the first to do a WIP thread? 

I should go buy it to try and open the trunk,if its a fail i still have the 1st one ??

4 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

hl.jpg.65844adbed1fbaa218482b4a3cd1ad5b.jpg

Just found this at my Hobby Loby, just paid nearly $40 for one online, HL price $ 29.99 - %40 = $17.99 + $ 1.26 tax = 19.25 ??

I did the same thing. Paid $41 shipped, could have saved over $20. Why does it take 2 years for Hobby Lobby to get other new kits, and this one's on the shelves the first week it's out!

Seems to take forever to get new kits at HL around here. I can only ASSume that the containers from China go to Round2 in South Bend, then HL's warehouse in OK City, then are distributed to the stores. Pretty much the same thing for Revell. That kit that rumbled through here on I-80 may take 3 months to rumble back here on another truck to the store.

Steve, I've been told by the girl stocking kits in Bakersfield (Central California) that you have it correct. Despite being 2.5 hours from the docks in San Pedro, we are almost the very tail end of the distribution.Personal observation over the last 3 years, has proven this. We get kits 4-7 WEEKS after the Mid West, and 3-6 WEEKS after the East Coast. And some kits that show up in other stores, just NEVER get here. I've never gotten a good reason for this........

16 hours ago, alexis said:

Steve, I've been told by the girl stocking kits in Bakersfield (Central California) that you have it correct. Despite being 2.5 hours from the docks in San Pedro, we are almost the very tail end of the distribution.Personal observation over the last 3 years, has proven this. We get kits 4-7 WEEKS after the Mid West, and 3-6 WEEKS after the East Coast. And some kits that show up in other stores, just NEVER get here. I've never gotten a good reason for this........

I still can't figure out how they get to Idaho the first week they're out?

17 hours ago, alexis said:

And some kits that show up in other stores, just NEVER get here. I've never gotten a good reason for this........

HL does not stock every currently available car kit from any manufacturer.  Like any other store, someone there makes decisions regarding which items to carry and which will not be stocked...model kits are no exception.

THIS IS NOT RIVET COUNTING! I'm just making some observations for those who may want to know. I'm thrilled to have the kit, and I already have two. I'm not going to pick on proportions, only black-and-white things. Here we go:

The grille outside the headlights should have as many bars as the grille. I think the arrangement on the kit is SS only. I don't think a 4 door would have the rear seat speaker. That was a 2 door only thing. The front bumper guards are molded into the front end, so they go all the way to the grille- there is no space between front bumper guard and grille (the rears are separate). The Chevrolet script in the grille is too high, probably to clear the bumper guard. In real life, part of the script would be behind the bumper guard. That's it from a casual glance.

I am glad they did the kit. Really looks cool.  

24 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

The grille outside the headlights represents the cornering light option. Available on both SS and non-SS cars.

Yup. The light and non-light grille tips were different. The kit got this right for the subject car. 

So, I checked my H.L. about an hour ago. Wonder of Wonders! They had no new kits, OTHER than the Supernatural Impala! There were two on the shelf. One Followed me home. Now only one remains. Mine will be a Fire Chief Car.

After opening it I have three points.

1. Tires have NO DETAIL on the sidewalls. Completely Blank! Not a great move in my opinion, but a minor Niggle

2. Body, and Hood, as well as everything else has a semi-gloss, "Bead Blasted" flat finish. Not a problem, but the plastic is very noticeably, Not Shiny.........

3. No Flash on the body in my kit. After seeing the pics posted here by others, I made sure to check my copy. I'm good that way.

Last thought. Any Ideas on a Donor Kit for a 350/Auto Trans combo, to transplant into the kit? Failing that a Big Block Auto Swap. MPC '76 Caprice Maybe?

Edited by alexis

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Last thought. Any Ideas on a Donor Kit for a 350/Auto Trans combo, to transplant into the kit? 

AMT '72 Nova, but you'll have to fill the axle hole in the block, not a big deal. If you don't have one, I'm sure I can rustle up a spare from the several parts kits I have. B)

16 hours ago, alexis said:

So, I checked my H.L. about an hour ago. Wonder of Wonders! They had no new kits, OTHER than the Supernatural Impala! There were two on the shelf. One Followed me home. Now only one remains. Mine will be a Fire Chief Car.

1. Tires have NO DETAIL on the sidewalls. Completely Blank! Not a great move in my opinion, but a minor Niggle

2. Body, and Hood, as well as everything else has a semi-gloss, "Bead Blasted" flat finish. Not a problem, but the plastic is very noticeably, Not Shiny.........

3. No Flash on the body in my kit. After seeing the pics posted here by others, I made sure to check my copy. I'm good that way.

Last thought. Any Ideas on a Donor Kit for a 350/Auto Trans combo, to transplant into the kit? Failing that a Big Block Auto Swap. MPC '76 Caprice Maybe?

I have tampo printed white letters in mine. I will probably remove them and add narrow white walls.

20200620_110322.jpg

18 hours ago, alexis said:

Revell 64 Impala has a power glide, if I'm remembering correctly.