Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

• 2 weeks later...

Effort high, results low but I got the first of the pair of carb top plates as I call em'.  Still have to drill 12 holes in it yet and part it off.  I wanted to capture the lip on it and the radius on each end. I used a technique that I learned from Dave (comp1839).  When I pull the piece off the fixture I'll explain and include a pic or 2.  I'm sure there are easier ways of doing it but adding the lip was a must.  cheers, tim

DSC 0015

DSC 0023

On 4/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, Codi said:

Pete, the ties were something I bought 4 or 5 years ago.  If  you're in need of a few, let me know.  I can probably spare you half a dozen if that works.  cheers, tim

Tim, thanks for the offer.  I appreciate it when modelers help each other.  I was hoping to find them for a 1:12 project I have in the wings.  Looks like I have to keep looking. Thanks again, that was very kind of you.?

Thanks Daniel.  It has been "involved"......I came up with a 2nd idea on how to fab the top portions that I'm still considering doing.  Currently I have to make 4 different pieces to replicate just the top portion of the 2 carbs.  Have an idea for a new fixture that might make it easier but I don't know if it would be as accurate.  hmmmm

Hey Dave, the gentleman that let me take pics and measurements of the real deal offered to sell it to me for 5k. in existing state. For a one of a kind piece, didn't seem toooo crazy.  :)

Hi there Chris......yeah set-up is everything.  I'm now discovering I've painted myself into a corner when it comes to parting it off.  I won't get into the details of it, but today I'm going to try something irregardless. If I junk the part, well, see my reply to Daniel........maybe plan "B" ???

Pete, no problem.........if you reconsider, please let me know.      Cheers, Tim

That is looking very well Tim. I'm really looking forward to seeing all these parts for the induction come together. Gonna try to get back on my own Maverick this week. Took a little time off from it to build a much simpler and less detailed build just to have a sense of accomplishment. Will be continuing to watch this one.....

Thanks Joe.....what / where did you post the other build btw?    Time to get back to the Maverick though.  ?

Since my post earlier this morning, I got the part off the block and I'll take a few moments to describe how it was made. 

A. Pic 1 you'll see dowel pins that locate center on the piece.  I made matching holes in the work piece. (the taller alum. block)  To make the radii on each end of the piece I cut the one end on center, removed the piece and flipped it so I could cut the other end to match it.  I learned this from Dave (comp1839).  I put oversized 3/16" dowels in because I tried 1/8" but they were sloppy.  Far too much play and the lip / radii would have truly been hit or miss.  So instead of junking my "puck" I re-did the holes using a pre--ream end mill and reamer.  Jackpot. I had never done this before so I was happy it turned out.  I had to drill the necessary air holes in the puck as the tolerances were so snug, the air trapped inside would have prevented the dowels from dropping in.  The center hole is 1/16" and goes all the way through whereas the other dowel pin off center is drilled into the side of the puck for air to exit.  Hope all this makes sense.

DSC 0055

B. Pic 2- Trying to figure out how to secure the work piece without interfering with the saw blade was a head scratcher.  No room to clamp the top of the piece without hitting the blade. So, I took a piece of 3/16" alum rod, drilled 2 holes on each end and then secured it with steel wire wrapped around the posts you see.  I then tightened the nuts down to draw down the wire till it was snug.  Since the force exerted on the piece was minimal during the sawing process, this worked out perfectly.  I just had to be sure that the saw could not "lift" the piece off the dowels while cutting it.  The work piece stayed flat on the puck and the final piece itself is perfectly level.  Yeah.  

DSC 0029

The final 2 pics show the piece now that it's removed.   Now to make its twin.  

DSC 0041

DSC 0044

That's FANTASTIC Tim!  A resourceful person never gets caught off guard and your technique for securing the part is a good example. Sexy or not, this technique works wonderfully and you got your first piece of the carburetors and that's the ultimate goal...  The piece is great by the way and I can't wait to see the rest.  Thank you for sharing your technique! ?

Tim... Awesome stuff you got going on here. Love seeing these set ups of how you are making your parts. That is a great idea on using the dowel pins to set the part up on the center of rotation so you can machine the radius on the ends. Gives me some ideas for setting up parts down the road. I really appreciate you sharing your skills with us.

Okay, remember, I am s--l--o--w.  Builders like Francis and John Teresi just fly through major projects but I do plod along.  Got the twin of the top plates done for the carbs.  I've always been big on the "visual".   For whatever reason, I want to "see" it along the way to ensure the vision is on track.  After getting the other plate done, I put them on top of the engine at the approximate height they'll be off the deck.  They're about 1mm too close to each other as an fyi.  I came up with a solution on assembly of them I think and I might add mini  (2.5mm tall) polished velocity stacks to them similar to an Ak Miller intake that I came across for this particular carb.   cheers!!!  

DSC 0013

DSC 0015

Tim.....Awesome from what I can see......for some reason your pictures are distorted .....is anybody else having this problem viewing your pictures ?.....I don’t know why this is happening with only your thread.....I don’t know if it is the Forum or not.....other thread pics are fine ??‍♂️

Hey John,  thanks for the heads-up.   On my end the pics look normal.  My notebook is NOT an apple.  My apple iphone distorts the pics unless I turn the phone horizontally,  vertically they're distorted which is what I think you're seeing.    How far back are the pics distorted when you go back John?   I'm trying to pinpoint a date when the problem started. 

Anybody else having the same issues viewing my posted pics?   If so, please let me know if you're using an apple or windows based notebook.  I'm thinking it might be a software hiccup.  Just not sure on which end though.

Thanks,  Tim

17 minutes ago, Codi said:

Hey John,  thanks for the heads-up.   On my end the pics look normal.  My notebook is NOT an apple.  My apple iphone distorts the pics unless I turn the phone horizontally,  vertically they're distorted which is what I think you're seeing.    How far back are the pics distorted when you go back John?   I'm trying to pinpoint a date when the problem started. 

Anybody else having the same issues viewing my posted pics?   If so, please let me know if you're using an apple or windows based notebook.  I'm thinking it might be a software hiccup.  Just not sure on which end though.

Thanks,  Tim

Hi Tim.....it started on page 7 for me.?

Hi Sir!

Great work, as usual. Bravo! 

If it can be of any interest, Hot Rod magazine ran a feature on this carb set-up in late 69 - early 70. It was even a close-up COVER SHOT. I remember vividly, because I was 14 back then, and it was my first newly subscribed copy to come tru the mail!

I'll try to locate it in my collection, and if i get it, I could scan it and email-it to you if you wish...

Regards,

CT. 

Thank you everyone for the replies and input on the pic situation.  Seems it strictly an iPhone issue.  No problems on a computer per se.  On the iPhone just turn it horizontally and they'll come into focus if you're interested. 

I did want to reply to Claude and his offer.....I actually bought that very issue about a month or so ago.  You should all the info I now have on these carbs.  They are every bit the challenge to make I can assure  you.  More experimenting today and then doing final drawings. 

Cheers and thanks once more!!!