Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few new Round 2 kit coming out ......

Mr mopar

It would be extra-nice if the KW Challenge mixer would include the hood-fenders-grill of the KW Alaskan Hauler kit. That would make sense for a mixer.

And then the only non-reissued AMT trucks kits left would be the Chevrolet Bison conventional, I believe.

But even then, there is still the ERTL vault, with Internationals and farm tractors.

Wasnt't there a topic a while ago about a "possible" kit of the "infamous" AMT Garwood garbage truck?

33 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

It would be extra-nice if the KW Challenge mixer would include the hood-fenders-grill of the KW Alaskan Hauler kit. That would make sense for a mixer.

And then the only non-reissued AMT trucks kits left would be the Chevrolet Bison conventional, I believe.

But even then, there is still the ERTL vault, with Internationals and farm tractors.

Wasnt't there a topic a while ago about a "possible" kit of the "infamous" AMT Garwood garbage truck?

The agricultural items were not part of the purchase so was said here, as far as the International trucks are concerned, early on Round-2 re-released the Transtar 4300 Eagle under the Amt label, so I guess other trucks are within reach.

About the garbage trucks, the tooling model survived, and was shown at a hobby show, but it's privately owned.

Edited by Luc Janssens

31 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

Round2 didn't acquire any Ertl agricultural kit tooling, so, presumably, the Ertl tractor, plow, and farm wagon kits would be in that group.

32 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

Yes. Use the search word 'ghost' with this and it'll come up:

I’m just glad to see stuff from before my childhood, or in my childhood being released. It would be nice to see something new in American iron. It would be great to see the 1/32 range again, especially considering how well the monogram/Revell 1/32 has gone. I’m not holding my breath. 

Ben

15 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The Sierra Grand can't come back. It was modified into the '72 Chevy. Steve Milberry and I had a discussion about this subject a while back. I was doubting the story. Steve confirmed it.

That would be the long wheel base GMC?

15 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yes. They should still have the short stepside. 

The original Sierra Grand long wheelbase was made into the short stepside in the '70s.

The short stepside is the one they cobbled into the current '72 Chevy. ?

That's what cheezez me off so bad about the whole situation. They hacked up a good kit to make an inferior one while all they had to do was put the new box in the MPC longbox. They would have ended up with a better '72 Chevy longbox and still have the GMC shortbox.

The MPC long box stepside is the one that should still be around. 

Edited by Can-Con

On 7/5/2020 at 4:22 PM, Luc Janssens said:

The agricultural items were not part of the purchase so was said here, as far as the International trucks are concerned, early on Round-2 re-released the Transtar 4300 Eagle under the Amt label, so I guess other trucks are within reach.

About the garbage trucks, the tooling model survived, and was shown at a hobby show, but it's privately owned.

Round2 could lease the tooling for the Massey Ferguson, John Deere, International tractors and the plow and wagon too,  they did just that before they bought everything else...so it's for sure possible if they wanted to.
The Jonh Deere farm tractor and Backhoe has been out quite recently by RC2.

Edited by Force

3 hours ago, Force said:

Round2 could lease the tooling for the Massey Ferguson, John Deere, International tractors and the plow and wagon too,  they did just that before they bought everything else...so it's for sure possible if they wanted to.
The Jonh Deere farm tractor and Backhoe has been out quite recently by RC2.

When Round2 was leasing the right to produce the AMT/MPC stuff it was from RC2. Everything was then sold to Tomy  (of the toy and video game fame from Japan) and Round2 purchased the model tooling directly from them while they kept all the diecast and farming stuff (Ertl had a wide ranging diecast farm implement line). If Tomy thought there was any profit in running that stuff I'm sure they would have found someone to do it by now - it's been 12 years. 

Considering what John Deere wants to license stuff these days, I'm not sure many here would tolerate the sticker shock involved. Also those reissues of the Tractor & Backhoe were 21 years ago, that's kinda stretching "quite recently" a bit.

Edited by niteowl7710

The only thing of interest to me was the Galileo shuttle craft.  Although the 1932 Chrysler Imperial 8 does have some potential with all the extra stuff in the box. A police bike, but no officer figure?  That's a strange oversight.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, niteowl7710 said:

When Round2 was leasing the right to produce the AMT/MPC stuff it was from RC2. Everything was then sold to Tomy  (of the toy and video game fame from Japan) and Round2 purchased the model tooling directly from them while they kept all the diecast and farming stuff (Ertl had a wide ranging diecast farm implement line). If Tomy thought there was any profit in running that stuff I'm sure they would have found someone to do it by now - it's been 12 years. 

Considering what John Deere wants to license stuff these days, I'm not sure many here would tolerate the sticker shock involved. Also those reissues of the Tractor & Backhoe were 21 years ago, that's kinda stretching "quite recently" a bit.

Yes I know that, but if Round2 could lease from RC2 they could for sure do a deal with Tomy if they wanted to, not that I see that happen since the farm stuff is quite narrow and not worth the licensing, but it would be nice to have them back again.

13 hours ago, Force said:

Yes I know that, but if Round2 could lease from RC2 they could for sure do a deal with Tomy if they wanted to, not that I see that happen since the farm stuff is quite narrow and not worth the licensing, but it would be nice to have them back again.

My point was that Tomy is currently actively using the Ertl brand in that diecast farm toy space. I doubt they have any interest diluting the brand by having Round2 sell a thousand 45+ yr old tractor kits.  If they believed there was a market for them they would run them off via a contractor and sell them under their own business.

That was not my thought at all, Tomy themselves might not see a market but if Round2 did they might have tried to do something about it if they wanted to...but it's a slim chance of that as the target group who want these agricultural model kits are most likely too small so that will most likely not happen.
Anyway, lets leave it at that.