Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olds W-30 Intake Tubing

50 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

From MFH, there's 1:20/1:24 Air Duct Hose - P965

image.png.38a91c8944a7f5eecc440e622155d041.png

image.png.cf8f5cf5c9d6ec536710272e0fe70532.png

Other than this, nothing from any AM companies.

Hmmm.

Now that's interesting!

You always seem to come up with the goods Joe!

I'll check into this.

Some people are extremely helpful.

Others have nothing else to do with their lives except be a PITA.

You're one of the good eggs Joe!

Thanks!

Steve

3 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I figured that this one would pique your interest, Steve. :)

Being that it's flexible (soft), you should be able to flatten the end to match the snorkels on the air cleaners.

I was curious about that.

Do you know what material the screws are made of?

Steve

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Looks like various gauges (6 to 12 AWG) of solid aluminum wire which was threaded.

Thanks Joe.

I might try my first thought of wrapping wire around some plastic tubing and see how that goes before I spend $20.00 on these.

I'll likely use only 4 or 5 inches of the stuff, so it would be more cost effective to try something else first.

But it's great to know that this option exists.

Thanks a million Joe!

Steve

You can hit an art supply store and get armature wire, which is used as a framework in sculpting. It's available in various diameters and is inexpensive. I believe the technical term for that is "cheap". :D This could be wrapped with stripped 30 ga. wire and covered with shrink tubing.

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Some people are extremely helpful.

Others have nothing else to do with their lives except be a PITA.

Stop dragging things out. You guys really need to say your piece (if you just can't let things go) and move on. Bringing it back up in follow up posts is not the way to go.

9 hours ago, Xingu said:

Stop dragging things out. You guys really need to say your piece (if you just can't let things go) and move on. Bringing it back up in follow up posts is not the way to go.

I can grant that request Michael if you can please devote as much attention to censuring the individual who propagated the disturbance in the first place, as you do the one defending himself.

Steve

I bet, for someone with resin casting supplies, you could find a machine screw of the right diameter, make a mould of the thread then cast a rubber version and get something pretty close to the 1:1 part.  Might have to dig through a few nuts or bolts to find one that looks right but it’d be cool to have the part actually made of rubber!

Another suggestion is to use plumbers teflon tape wrapped around the wire rather than shrink tubing.  Shrink tubing can get rather stiff when shrunk.  Once you wrap the teflon tape, spray it with flat black to hold it in place.  Of course you would need to have the bends already in place before wrapping, as  the tape has a tendency to  not want to bend without coming apart.  It is a bit fidgety, but the thinness of the tape is a much more appealing look.

On 12/17/2019 at 7:53 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Joe.

I might try my first thought of wrapping wire around some plastic tubing and see how that goes before I spend $20.00 on these.

I'll likely use only 4 or 5 inches of the stuff, so it would be more cost effective to try something else first.

But it's great to know that this option exists.

Thanks a million Joe!

Steve

Plastruct makes some really thin styrene rod, so make  your basic duct shape out of plastic, wrap the rod around it and glue it in place, and a coat of paint should take care of the rest.

35 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Plastruct makes some really thin styrene rod, so make  your basic duct shape out of plastic, wrap the rod around it and glue it in place, and a coat of paint should take care of the rest.

Gees Richard!!

Have you been hunkered down in a corner of my shop somewhere?! :D

This is exactly the approach I've been working on!

I thought I would at least give it a try with stuff that

I have on hand.

The only variation is that instead of investing in more thin rod, I just stretched some sprue very thinly to about the thickness of thread.

Started wrapping, checking spacing as I go, and welding it in place a few winds at a time. 

So far, it's going well.

And as you stated, the sprue is thin enough that I believe a coat or two of fairly thick paint should soften the edges enough.

I do want to thank Bill profusely for his offer of the heat shrink!

I appreciate all of the great guys on the board who are so willing to lend a hand when they can!

Thanks guys!!

Here's where I'm at so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.196de78d508168999c80bc921e60ea18.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dfa39d535162b2fcc7429300a1114fd9.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

19 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That looks pretty good, and the fact that the spacing isn't super precise makes it even more realistic.

If you're really feeling ambitions, you could probably use paint to build up the wrinkles seen on the original.

I tried not to get the spacing too precise, which really didn't take much trying. :D

The main thing that I wanted to do with the spacing was to "bunch up" the coils a little bit on the inside curve of the bends.

As far as the "wrinkles" go, I'm not certain how one would accomplish that.

Ideas?

Steve

12 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Another suggestion is to use plumbers teflon tape wrapped around the wire rather than shrink tubing.  Shrink tubing can get rather stiff when shrunk.  Once you wrap the teflon tape, spray it with flat black to hold it in place. 

Nothing (including paint) will stick to Teflon tape. After all it is . . . Teflon.  Remember? The non-stick stuff.  ;)

even it the paint stays on it, it will rub off the high spots during even light handling.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Finished up the driver's side duct.

I'm thinking this will work just fine.

image.thumb.jpeg.0596ad3905d0924895b8d8b527808751.jpeg

Steve

Looks good Steve.  I suspect that "painting" this duct's surface with some 5-minute epoxy would create a nice fillet at the base of the wrapped wire. Or maybe use some of the thick CREOS Mr. Surfacer liquid primer/filler the same way.

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Looks good Steve.  I suspect that "painting" this duct's surface with some 5-minute epoxy would create a nice fillet at the base of the wrapped wire. Or maybe use some of the thick CREOS Mr. Surfacer liquid primer/filler the same way.

Thanks Peter.

I have some Testors enamel primer that I used on something else recently that seemed to fill pretty well.

Better than I wanted it to last time as a matter of fact. :P

A couple of coats of that followed by color might be all that it takes.

Steve