Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back at it... First kit in over two years.

Shelby 427 1965

Hey everyone!

Glad to be back at it. This is the first kit I've completed in over two years which is crazy considering I used to churn them out weekly, and my first since I've moved house and got my own work station. Also my first go airbrushing, I'm sure I'll improve after a couple kits. All it needs now are number plates, but I haven't got a printer sorted yet. 

The kit is Tamiya's Mazda MX5, based on my 1/1 scale. I had some fitment issues with the windows, because I wanted to keep the softtop under the hardtop - but I'm willing to put up with that to have it match the real car.

Mods:
Tartan Interior
Original radio sanded away for a double din screen
Aux cable into radio using spark plug wire (possibly a tad out of scale)
iPhone on passenger seat
Steering wheel changed to the non air bag model, with a snap-off boss kit that I have on my own
Seat belt buckles

Looking back I forgot the roll hoops. Oops!

I didn't go too crazy into detailing or it'd never get off the bench - and I wanted something done!!

All comments much appreciated :)

Cheers

Tomo

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4235.jpg

I know exactly what you mean, about not building for awhile.  I built this kit too, but had so many modifications that I chickened out, and it sat in the box for maybe a decade.  It's a nice kit without screwing with it.  You did a fine job, and really cool that you own the real thing.  Was there a version with a hardtop?

IMG_3658_Fotor.jpg

Would have been fun building a model of a car that you currently own and daily drive, and I guess it would be a blast to cruise round in with the top down.

Good to see a build that has the steering wheel on the correct side. Most cars on here there on the wrong side. LOL!

Well done, its a great representation of your 1:1,  look forward to seeing what you post up next. 

23 hours ago, Shelby 427 1965 said:

I didn't go too crazy into detailing or it'd never get off the bench - and I wanted something done!!

Know the feeling. Try to keep my builds simple nowadays, that way dont get burnt out over every single detail. If its visually good, im happy and having fun.

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone, means a lot!

I wish I could take credit for a RHD conversion... But the kit comes that way. This isn't a Miata kit, it's a Tamiya MX-5 kit - represents a Japanese Import 'Eunos' model, which is the same as mine. :) It also comes with a Hardtop.

As for the Mustang... Built 4 years ago. It's, in my opinion, the coolest model I've done - I'll keep it in the background of future pics 'cos it looks cool B)

I'll be making a diorama for photograping in soon I'd say, with having a house now I can dedicate a space to it.

Anyway, pics!

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_np46i0Ogod1qlq9k4o10_1280.jpg

Cheers B)

- Tomo

Edited by Shelby 427 1965