Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

22 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

LOL!! No.....that's me throwing in the towel.....I give up. lol 

Never surrender Joe,  no pain no gain ... you have done too much so far my friend to deploy the white flag or throw in the towel! LOL

I just woke up from my last 12 hour night shift and will be on jet lag for the next few days... so I thought to take a couple of pics with the clutch system hooked on the "elephant" while I still have both eyes open... ?

More update soon, Francis

DSCN1353.JPG.d1e61fa05cb0b5ec45578db27ecfb51c.JPGDSCN1354.JPG.dff1e4bde028c23fabe2248e254847da.JPG

Francis, Francis, Francis................what are we gonna do with you now?   I got caught up on all the great stuff you've been creating and your overall progress.  I was left scratching my head over the many cool details you've added to it.  You've gotten the anodizing down perfectly and it truly adds to the engine & rear end.  More please!   cheers, tim

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Francis, Francis, Francis................what are we gonna do with you now?   I got caught up on all the great stuff you've been creating and your overall progress.  I was left scratching my head over the many cool details you've added to it.  You've gotten the anodizing down perfectly and it truly adds to the engine & rear end.  More please!   cheers, tim

Hey, thanks for the kind comments Tim!   I'm glad you liked what you saw on my thread but I have to admit that you are a bit responsible for my obsession with details, you have set the bar very high my friend!   Anodizing the parts is a great feature and I'm still learning every time I use the technique, I'll try different colors when time permits.

Can't wait to see your next update on the Maverick sir!

Take care, Francis

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Wow, impressive as always.

I'm curious about the starter ring gear around the flywheel... You made it, or is-it some kind of watch or clock gear that you fitted there?

It looks the part!

CT

Thanks for the comment Claude!

Yes, the ring gear was made using a pocket watch gear, you can see the exploded part at page 15 of the thread.   I used the Brass Black Birchwood Casey metal finish to simulate the hardening treatment like on the real ones, it's not perfect but convincing enough I think...

Thanks for stopping by!

Francis

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Wow, impressive as always.

I'm curious about the starter ring gear around the flywheel... You made it, or is-it some kind of watch or clock gear that you fitted there?

It looks the part!

CT

I agree.

15 hours ago, landman said:

I agree.

Thanks for your support Pat, I really appreciate it!  Take care, Francis

12 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Un.....frickin' believable!!!! Man.....this just keeps getting better and better Francis.

Thanks Joe, I will try to keep you happy and smiling my friend!  More to come soon...

Take care, Francis

Hello guys!

Just a quick update before I go back to work.   In order to progress on the interior components, I decided to make supports for the racing seats.  The seats are resin from BNA Model World and the photoetched parts came with the kit but I wanted the seats to clear the floor like a real car.   I made the frame with a 0.046 "brass rod and the four bolting tabs are 0.010" brass welded to the frame tubes.  The photoetch mounts are simply glued to the frame with two part epoxy.  I'm not sure yet about the seat color (like for the truck body... ?) but definitely satin black with a bright color for the center padding.  I will see...

I'll be back next week with a more substantial update, I was working on the front suspension today (my eyes and fingers hurt...) in order to have this thing on all four wheels, it's just a bunch of parts for now...

Take care, Francis

Both frame side by side, the one on left is turned upside down.367_Seat_Mount_Final.JPG.97bc84bd57a334969ff3d8610dbf649a.JPG

Chassis installed temporarily, I will use aluminum bolts for floor mounting and to secure the seats to the bracket.368_Seat_Mount_Test_Fit_1.JPG.0fb732585d5a0abc8f35e07a2739a80f.JPG

View from below.369_Seat_Mount_Test_Fit_2.JPG.81daaf4a1630e307fab1641dcdaa816f.JPG

On 12/8/2020 at 11:19 PM, Mopar - D said:

Awesome work Francis! 

Thanks for the kind words Dan, your comment is greatly appreciated my friend!

On 12/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, gasser59 said:

This is too much, I can hardly fathom all of this in one package. Stunning and exemplary work Francis!!

Thanks for your feelings about my work Brad!  I am wondering why I decided to put so much effort into a single build but I get my answers from the great work done all over this forum and the supporting comments of all the wonderful people who follow my project.  Thanks for that my friend!

On 12/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Amazing work, i have no words WAW 

Thank you so much for the kind comment Marcos, I really appreciate it!

Take care all of you guys, Francis

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Are you freakin' kidding me??? You're building seat adjuster assys now?? OMG!! Pure awesomeness!!!! 

Well Joe, since the truck will be on display with the doors open, I have no choice but to put a few more details inside the cab. For this reason, this type of build forces me to venture into new territories...  Thanks buddy for your support!

Francis

42 minutes ago, foghorn62 said:

I see a real problem developing with this build Francis.  You keep making these parts smaller and smaller, and more and more detailed.  You’re going to need a better camera.

LOL. Thanks for the comments Tim!   My camera is a Nikon CoolPix and it was the best lens and one of the best digital cameras for taking very close up photos (in macro mode) when I bought it over 10 years ago.  I think I should set up some kind of booth to take my photos because the lighting conditions (and contrasted background) are often the biggest problem for sharp shots!  I am definitely not a professional photographer...

Thanks again for commenting, I will try to update the thread soon.

Take care, Francis

On 12/14/2020 at 12:18 PM, foghorn62 said:

You’re not a professional machinist either, but that doesn’t seem to slow you down.?

Thanks for the wink Tim! ?

Hello everyone,

After some testing I realized that the pair of shocks I made for the front suspension a few months ago was not the best choice, so I decided to make a pair of coil over shock in order to also have a functional front suspension as at the rear.  The front suspension is now functional but would require ball joint to be perfect.  I don't want to venture into making such details, but I have a plan to make them (I think ...) so I'll try to test my idea when time permits.

I only have pictures of the front suspension tonight but I will put the rear suspension back on tomorrow and take some pictures with the frame on its four wheels.

Take care, Francis

Coil over shock (top portion) on the milling chuck.390_Front_Coil_Over_Progress_1.JPG.ba41dfc506c964618446b32f6e6c7048.JPG

Coil over shocks components.391_Front_Coil_Over_Progress_2.JPG.1d638979670833f7f18b00bcb53b403f.JPG

Coil over shocks assembled (functional).392_Front_Coil_Over_Final.JPG.217a382628553f4aba80bda604830ef3.JPG

Front suspension components, simulated ball joints are machined ABS bushings.393_Front_Coil_Over_Test_1.JPG.44a1ac8a3418b56164e932f44d58a841.JPG

Assembled on the spindles394_Front_Suspension_Ass_1.JPG.3a7775e86c3b026bf766e0a59ea6f519.JPG

On the frame...395_Front_Suspension_Test_1.JPG.7de84c83fef78b3358e59a6b7cfafc09.JPG

Two front wheels on the ground...396_Front_Suspension_Test_2.JPG.cf6222e6c49f0a27c5e4dd3a182e2280.JPG

With the cab temporarly (like everything else...) in place.397_Front_Suspension_Test_3.JPG.f85bdab6e7ee6db05428c83cc31b6d87.JPG