Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Excellent work, as always, Francis! You have a resistance soldering unit, too? I love mine!

Thanks Daniel!  Yes I do have an American Beauty resistance welding unit.  It's fairly new to me (bought it probably 1 or 2 years ago) and I'm still learning how to master it but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, gasser59 said:

Such precise work Francis!  I'm impressed beyond measure. I sure would love to see this in person one day.

Thanks for your kind comments Brad!  It's sad that my short video was not in the right format to download, you could have seen it working.  Maybe one day I can take part in a scale model show somewhere in the US.  I know my friend Claude will definitely do it someday so maybe I can join him on the trip... I will see!

Take care, Francis

I got away from this build for a few months, and just spent an enjoyable morning catching up. I am extremely impressed with your work. Often I find models built with a lot of machined metal parts have a cold, clinical look to them, but your work has a lot of warmth and life. Very nice, very impressive. That rear suspension looks great mocked up. The annodized aluminum is a great touch. Thanks for showing your techniques. Cheers.

Hey Fancis!!

I'm still trying to get back to the bench, waaaay behind on my project ? 

Just getting caught up on your build!! KILLER STUFF!! Hey, are those the AMT 70 Super Bee rear Mickey Thompsons?? I have about 6 Super Bee kits just for those tires!!! They ROCK under your truck! The squared off edge of the tire (tread to side wall) really make that tire sit nice ! I rough up the tread a little with sand paper, really brings out the realism!!! Well, ..... you just keep us on the edge of our seats,... your doing a great job at doing that!!

photo - 70 Super Bee Mickey's for the 64 short box

Western Canuck

IMG_2929.JPG

On 11/24/2020 at 11:38 AM, Bainford said:

I got away from this build for a few months, and just spent an enjoyable morning catching up. I am extremely impressed with your work. Often I find models built with a lot of machined metal parts have a cold, clinical look to them, but your work has a lot of warmth and life. Very nice, very impressive. That rear suspension looks great mocked up. The annodized aluminum is a great touch. Thanks for showing your techniques. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind comments Trevor, I really appreciate them!

Sorry for the long delay to reply but I was at work (12 hours shifts) for the last 3 days so no time available to go on the internet...

Soft metal like aluminum and brass are great for creating realistic details but require a lot of sanding and polishing to make them plausible so to speak.  I really like anodized parts, the look and finish is hard to beat and brings this ocean of aluminum/brass parts a little bit of life.

Take care, Francis

On 11/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, Lorne said:

Hey Fancis!!

I'm still trying to get back to the bench, waaaay behind on my project ? 

Just getting caught up on your build!! KILLER STUFF!! Hey, are those the AMT 70 Super Bee rear Mickey Thompsons?? I have about 6 Super Bee kits just for those tires!!! They ROCK under your truck! The squared off edge of the tire (tread to side wall) really make that tire sit nice ! I rough up the tread a little with sand paper, really brings out the realism!!! Well, ..... you just keep us on the edge of our seats,... your doing a great job at doing that!!

photo - 70 Super Bee Mickey's for the 64 short box

Western Canuck

Hey Lorne, thanks for the kind words my friend!

Your pickup looks absolutely awesome buddy!  Can't wait to see mine finished... but I have already been told not to be too impatient because time flies too quickly, you have to appreciate the present time!  The tires are from a die-cast kit I think (maybe a Danbury Mint) I got them about 10 years ago with a cheap resin body I bought on eBay.  It was a scrapped project that someone had auctioned off and I got them for a few bucks, they're made of some kind of solid rubber and they're the nicest tires I've ever seen.  Hope to keep you entertained until the end my friend!

Take care, Francis

On 11/24/2020 at 10:09 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Gotta say. The beauty of this site is I can watch this masterpiece come together. Francis did you make the shocks?

Thanks Bob!   Yes, I made the shocks myself, RB Motion offers some very nice ones but I made my own to meet my exact needs, I didn't want to compromise on the height of my suspension.  You can see them on page 3 of the thread, I ended up not using the bottom extensions since I repositioned the top anchors from the start of the build.  They are not too difficult to do and work like a charm!

Take care, Francis

On 11/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Scott Colmer said:

Those rear suspension shots are MONEY!  I had to run through them a few times. I especially like the peek under that back of the bed. Great work, Francis!

Thanks Scott, I really appreciate your comments my friend!  The suspension was not easy to photograph with all parts of the frame in the field of view but I am quite happy with it!  It works perfectly and that was a very important point for me, it was something that I always wanted to achieve!

Take care, Francis

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Still watchin.......and still passing out from looking at all this great work!! sSc_thud_zps5bdfced4.gif

Thanks Joe!  Glad you keep commenting and adding your fun contribution to my thread, I hope to still bring you other interesting updates soon!  Back to the workbench...!

Take care, Francis

10 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Hi Francis, just dropping in to check out the thread, and I'm in awe of your progress. Simply fantastic!

-Art

Thanks for the kind comments Art!   So far I've done a lot of parts but I feel like the truck has just started to take shape...!   I will have to finish the cabin fabrication (mainly the interior and the floor) in order to make more substantial progress.   I'm definitely going to have to make some changes or adjustments as I progress but I hope they will be minor!   More update soon.

Thanks for stopping by and take care, Francis

Hello everyone!

Joe: You asked for it, you got it!

Today's update is kind of a mix of progress and changes, you can call it setback or modifications or fine tuning...  In order to get more substantial progress I now need to move on to the rest of the cabin and interior fabrication.  I still have a lot of parts to make but at this stage of the build I can call them "detail parts" which can be done later.  For now, I need to put this thing on its four wheels and address any (hopefully not major) issues I might encounter prior to final assembly.

First problem was spacing issue for the bellhousing and the clutch lever and mechanism.  I realized that I made a mistake on the shape of the floor tray so the first thing was to make these changes.  My plan is to glue and finish on the floor like a 1: 1 cabin and assemble the interior components afterwards.  I know it will be difficult and it will be like building a sailboat in a bottle (not as difficult though) but I think I like to give myself trouble and challenges...

I'll also have to start building the engine to make the adjustments under the hood and create the openings in the floor for the Lenco transmission shift levers.

Lots of fun in the coming weeks, so don't be surprised if the updates aren't in a logical order.

Comments and suggestions are welcome as usual, I'm back at work tonight for the night shift so I'll be back on the build next weekend.

Take care, Francis

Pic of the floor pan from 2019/01 for comparison.28_Floor_Tunnel_Trans.JPG.e607ef0730a7181847b3d9e3f7fdfa42.JPG

I made a larger opening for the bellhousing, this one is roughly 0.200" larger than the previous one.370_Floor_Pan_Mod_1.JPG.18ba5d90303c27ca6caa7dcc8cce32d1.JPG

I had to make an angle on the floor plate (like the 1: 1 truck), it was a mistake at first and you need room for the clutch levers.371_Floor_Pan_Mod_2.JPG.5e2b12e1471fc56567e97e2df07396af.JPG

The brake master cylinder should be moved to the driver's fender in order to have enough space for the accelerator pedal inside the cab.372_Cowl_Dash_Mod_1.JPG.f0e4700b6ff3f7f88eb655a81fc503d4.JPG

I can't save the part so I cut an opening and made a new one exactly the same size as the hole, I turned the part 180 degrees so now the fuse box will be at the other side.373_Cowl_Dash_Mod_2.JPG.7fde69560e612c4b9e05616933bddda2.JPG

The new plastic part is glued in place.374_Cowl_Dash_Mod_3.JPG.9367e6d267891b3abf53a0a0350077ad.JPG

I machined the clutch lever pivot point on the bellhousing.375_Bell_Clutch_Link_1.JPG.e910decf0bd1ba28d62398e5f014bbcc.JPG

Same part different view with the big dime...376_Bell_Clutch_Link_2.JPG.8ac1b9cb0a86064334ec2d2d55a5dd97.JPG

The flywheel is now permanently assembled on the crank end with RB Motion aluminum bolts.  The flywheel teeth have been blackened with "Brass Black" to simulate the hardening treatment.377_Clutch_Assemblage_1.JPG.20ddcf0c6189c06b7690e49c97bd1c72.JPG

Pressure plate is now finally installed on the flywheel with aluminum bolts.378_Clutch_Assemblage_2.JPG.940ddccc2f142e2c8450c2d229b6cf16.JPG

Pressure plate different view, you can also see the clutch disk in between.379_Clutch_Assemblage_3.JPG.ebb331a08d855538bcfd633fed621aa1.JPG

18 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Oh, man, Francis! You are killing it,  my friend! Such fine work, sir. Carry on!

Thanks for the comments Daniel!  I have to admit the flywheel and pressure plate are nice mounted on the engine but I forgot to take a picture, I will do it next week and add it to the thread.

Take care, Francis