Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

4 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Man Dusty, that sucks.  Sorry to hear.   What type paint was your color coat? 

I've spent most of the summer stripping paint jobs, trying to get my technique down.   This is a very small consolation and sounds like I'm too late this time anyway,  but I've had really good luck stripping Dupli Color with cheap 90% iso alcohol.   Might save you a few bucks in the future. 

It was scalefinishes, but it wasn’t the paint that was the issue. It’s my own my fault though I didn’t know that dupli color was that hot. I couldn’t fix the damage it did so I had to order a body off eBay. I guess I should have kept doing light coats building it up, but I’m sticking with 2K. There is a new 2k that James selling at scalefinishes called honey clear (Like 2K without most of the harmful Chemicals) that I wanna try. Haven’t ordered it yet as I need some custom paint done, but he hasn’t answered my email in almost two weeks. I guess he still backed up with orders after the emergency situation he had to deal with. 

Dusty, friend, you may have mentioned it already, but which DupliColor clear did you have the bad experience with? They have like four clears........ The best one is the Perfect Match in the small can, next best is the 1K clear in the large can........ The others are kinda hard to work with, and there's one ( acrylic enamel, I believe ) that has a work window, and will craze itself if not used in that window.....

I ask because I've always gotten good results with DC clears, and I know you could too..........

Started working on this Hasagawa VW Samba bus over 2 years ago.I’ve had to strip it twice🙄I painted it earlier this week and cleared it earlier today. It turned out pretty good i think.Hopefully I can get this thing finished up in a couple of weeks.The top half is Tamiya Matt Black and Tamiya Black on the bottom half with Duplicolor 1k clear.

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

Edited by catpack68
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Dusty, friend, you may have mentioned it already, but which DupliColor clear did you have the bad experience with? They have like four clears........ The best one is the Perfect Match in the small can, next best is the 1K clear in the large can........ The others are kinda hard to work with, and there's one ( acrylic enamel, I believe ) that has a work window, and will craze itself if not used in that window.....

I ask because I've always gotten good results with DC clears, and I know you could too..........

It was the perfect match clear of there’s acrylic lacquer. I paid $18 for it, but I’m not blaming the product but myself. The last cost was just way too heavy I think. I guess it’s best to just do light coat after light coat 10 mins in between until it finally turns to gloss. I’m just scared to use it again, and prob would never use it over decals as it’s too hot. I’ll just stick with 2k something I’m good at, and just have someone watch my son for bout a hour while I use it. I probably should have heated the can up though as it was spitting a little hear and there, and wasn’t a fine mist. I just suck at rattle cans lol. 

Edited by Dpate

17 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I just suck at rattle cans lol. 

Me too.   But I think I'm getting better at it.   Still not good, but improving. 

I've started waiting 3 hours minimum between coats when using lacquer.   Seems to be making a difference.   Just requires more patience. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

It's all about having a system, man..... B) Whatever gives you good results every time!

I might prep a scrap body etc and try it again see how it does without doing a heavy coat. Just got to….dig it out the trash. 

Having bought a NASCAR TRUCK body sometime ago I thought it was time to tackle a build. I bought a relatively cheap car kit from ebay, I started the build. This is so far having modified the chassis to fit.

photo-vi.jpg

There are a few things to add and perhaps some decals to find.

UPDATE: Completed build in Nascar Under Glass.

Edited by PatW

Uncertain T Scratch. I built this body, measurements taken my resin build a few years ago. It's boxy, Plasticard sheet plus three sizes of Plasticard square section rod/tube. I've now to do an extensive search through numerous boxes of spares, to complete. Fingers crossed that I complete it! The trim ring is for the round rear window.

photo-vi.jpg

Engine parts..

photo1-vi.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I mixed some green pearl microflakes into my clear today and sprayed the body of my 61 Galaxie. Doesn't look much different until the sun or flourecent light hits it. Then it shines!

Later-

20230728_154015.jpg

20230728_153547.jpg

20230728_153620.jpg

20230728_153733.jpg

That color looks GREAT!  Nice work!

• Like 1

Some parts of the flagship of my collection an MPC 1975 Chevrolet Caprice were coming loose from the car due to the old cement drying out so I re glued them back on. She's good and solid again and is back on display.

Edited by John M.

7 hours ago, JollySipper said:

That looks great, man. Did you use some sort of template?

No it’s separate pieces that go into the tire. All I did to them was clean them up, primed them white, couple coats of Mr color GX cool white, and then went over them with wet 3K grit. I was gonna hit them with dull coat through the brush, but ended up liking the look after the 3K grit. Looks better in person than the pic. 

They’re from the 57 Chevy bel air 100 year anniversary AMT kit. Great kit with all the bells n whistles. Just little clean up here n there, and little more depending how picky you are. 

Edited by Dpate