Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

On 5/19/2023 at 5:30 PM, PatW said:

Just paint on a Revell Porsche Carrera 3.0..

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Update,24.05.23, Nearly done, a few decals to add and an aerial, oh and look in spares for a w'screen wiper.

photo2-vi.jpg

Awfull kit, lots of flash and bad fitting parts, the two piece tyres were the worst, I couldn't find anything to stick them together, but when I did as soon as I tried to fit the on the wheels they split in half, horrible! 

Edited by PatW
  • Like 1

I have yet another Tamiya Subaru WRX kit, bought as already started, the blue body in grey undercoat, so I've built so many blue ones, I gave it a wash and another grey undercoat and three coats of gloss white! The new decals landed today, they are for a 1999 Scooby and mine is a 2005! So a slight adjustment to the decals, but most of them are on..

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Got started rubbing out the clear coat on my Camaro build.   Trunk and roof are thru 12000 grit now. 

It seems like lately I'm getting very little bench time in.    If I'm really lucky I get half an hour.   Too much other stuff going on right now,  but it's driving me crazy!   I WANT MORE MODEL TIME! 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Wow!!

8 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

That paint job is a work of art Tom. Very nice.

Thank you guys. It's been interesting trying to figure out a pattern that looks good to me. I believe it still needs something. May try adding a bit of light (whitish-silver) gold or antique gold that I have.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Finally  got motivated to make the cuts on my unibody short box conversion. 

Another project received attention too; making cuts to turn a series lll Landy into a series ll with the 88" w/b and inner mounted headlights. This one will be somewhat un-stock, with my inspiration being the '66 Golden Rod V8 conversion ...

DSCF1053.JPG.6c40aed9c65158fd2082d9ea8545fd76.JPG

66lndrvr.gif.c74fd1af3126166713cdd7499f228f01.gif

Edited by mk11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

We’ve had guests in town for the last two weeks, and it’s really messing with my bench time 🤪

Playing with a T Bucket frame though, and printing some parts when I get a few…

IMG_9777.thumb.jpeg.c79d44a57d64d4c4fc6469f8ee2ec701.jpeg

IMG_9790.thumb.jpeg.0263bec8a1e887eb3ee47ae9a674ee15.jpeg

I'm not a huge T-Bucket guy. Don't hate 'em, though. This one is really cool! I'm a fan!🙂

• Like 1

Got some more progress done last night and today. Got the interior done and got the clear sprayed. Nothings perfect on it. Added some interface mica powder in the base and mid coats of clear for a bit more sparkle.

Later-

20230605_095628.jpg

20230605_095705.jpg

20230605_123215.jpg

20230605_123220.jpg

20230605_123251.jpg

20230605_123302.jpg

• Like 4

Got family in town still this week, so I’ve been learning some new techniques that may or may not ever be useful for a project.  Today, I made an LED-augmented cloud:

IMG_9871.thumb.jpeg.2efd3fe215f7b8adc74f0848b51fb353.jpeg

And then paired it with a 3D printed Statue of Liberty (with it’s own lighting) and put it in a clock dome case:

IMG_9880.thumb.jpeg.c0df28108f7d1e158dcc1f9e6926fc74.jpeg

Not strictly car related…but I’m thinking some of these tricks will be useful for a flying Delorean Back To The Future diorama build I’ve been thinking of for a while now…

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1

Got started sanding on the 3D printed 1977 Caprice 4dr, but still lots to do.  First time working with a 3D resin but so far, so good.  I was also able to find a suitable chassis/running gear for the build.  It's from the often repopped '65 Riviera.  Minor tweeking made it fit nicely.  First thing is I needed to deepen the panel lines before sanding to make sure I didn't lose them.  Ok, so it's not correct for the Caprice, and it's a generic metal axle chassis.  But.... I'm good with it.

IMG-4671 (Large).jpg

IMG-4672 (Large).jpg

IMG-4673 (Large).jpg

IMG-4675 (Large).jpg

IMG-4676 (Large).jpg

Edited by hedotwo
  • Like 1

Got tired of stumbling over tubs full of paint sitting on my floor so I spent a few hours making a shelf for them.  Trust me, it looks like I only spent a few hours on it but it works. Now to find somewhere to put the three giant bins full of spray paint.

Later-

20230606_153331.jpg

20230606_153349.jpg

Got this door panel done on the 65 Chevy impala foose. If it was better detailed the foiling would have been easier, but it is what it is. The first pic is the look I’m going for. IMG_1159.jpeg.5fd6630f95a6c0e5fcd0ca509dfe9d52.jpeg
IMG_1272.thumb.jpeg.5b76efdf0196a810e4d367497c679650.jpeg

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 8

Another build where using a new model of the 911, the NuNu version and adding early 911 rally decals, in this case from 1984 and the 24 hours of Ypres! As the shape of the 911 has evolved careful lay-up of the decals is needed. Some work to be done on the front wheel arch before finishing the build due to the decal being longer and having to be trimmed when wet. 

photo-vi.jpg

Update: Note the Bastos decal on the white bar across the bonnet? That should be on the other door! I used my largest paint brush loaded with water and peeled it off and re-laid it in it's right place. The layout plans on the after market decals show all with a white background although some of the decals like the Bastos roof ones are red as you can see. The third red one should be across the bonnet so later laid that one in the correct place. More pics to come although out and about in Oxford tomorrow!

Edited by PatW

Update: 14.06.23. Most decals now on, tomorrow will give body a few coats of clear gloss.

Front nose Bastos now in red..

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Other side now decaled. Ready for gloss clear. and continue build.

• Like 1