Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Today, 10.01.2024. Painted a few bits, added the cab and test fitted the pick-up bed. I may well rub down the paint work for a used look. The wheels/tyres are weird as the tyres alone are four pieces!

photo2-vi.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, PatW said:

Today, 10.01.2024. Painted a few bits, added the cab and test fitted the pick-up bed. I may well rub down the paint work for a used look. The wheels/tyres are weird as the tyres alone are four pieces!

photo2-vi.jpg

Wow, you traveled in time to October. :D

• Haha 1

11.01.2024 Update, as the attempt to matt off the dark red hasn't worked I've used more of the matt brown and added some rear side bars to keep the load in the back. Pluss added the wheels and tyres.

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PatW said:

11.01.2024 Update, as the attempt to matt off the dark red hasn't worked I've used more of the matt brown and added some rear side bars to keep the load in the back. Pluss added the wheels and tyres.

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

Future November looks great. :D

Started..

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Just a quick wash and rub down, removing moulded extensions to from and rear bumpers, trimming wheels of excess alloy. A few pits and blemishes to fill and generally sanding down.

I've never seen one of these ever built, anyone out there?

Edited by PatW

From my previous pictures on the Del Aire, I've sliced the thick resin base so that the tyre smoke is now on the ground! A few hours carefully slicing with a new hacksaw blade without a handle..

photo2-vi.jpg

This then shows up the tyre smoke...

photo1-vi.jpg

with the body and hood scoop...

photo-vi.jpg

Yes a wee bit of filler here and there.

• Like 3

Yesterday I finally got around to finishing the disc brake face drilling. Doing this with a pin vice and a 0.3 mm bit is risky at best. That size of bit is so easy to break! So I thought that I'd give it a try with my Tamiya battery powered drill. My only issue with the Tamiya drill is that the screw that holds the body shell halves together, up near the drill aperture, is not tight enough to keep the two halves firmly together. Keeping this area snug is important, as this is the area of the drill that contains the gearing and the drill chuck. I did not want to risk tightening the screw any further. There is the risk that the metal screw might strip out the plastic. So, I came up with another idea to hold the two body shell pieces tightly together, a nylon zip tie.

2024-01-30.jpg

2024-01-31 A.jpg

2024-01-31 B.jpg

• Like 1