Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin body slowly dying!!

I built this 55 delivery in 2002. I was so honoured to have it featured in Scale Auto (Oct 2003 issue). A friend of mine helped me paint it at his body shop in the down draft booth. It did very well at the shows! A ton of great comments !!! But,......!!!! as the years go by,.... it is dying!!

The body is warping away from the chassis, the hood no longer fits, its sagging in the front right corner, roof sagged and the rear window pop't out!!!! What is up with that???!!! Is it "gassing out" ? Did the paint shrink the body? I have had it displayed in my cabinet, not air tight ... like I said since 2002. I guess the resin body gets as old as me! So what ever it is, your "prize" build could go for BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH over time!!! BEWARE!!! Sad, all that effort! Has someone else experienced this? Please let me know! Mind you, to little, too late?

chevy 55.jpeg

55 warped.jpeg

55 warped 2.jpeg

55waaagon.jpeg

When I first purchased this resin body (1st one) I had no idea the quality, the material, the stability. It was one of those "have to have it" to help create the illusion. Now I know!

Never been exposed to sunlight or in a sealed case so,...  Guess live and learn, still a shame

Hey Motor City

The 55 has sat in the cabinet forever, no temp change, again no sunlight. Waynerd is right probably very unstable through the years. I'm thinking its may be just "drying out" like an old piece of drift wood??

I'm choked☹️

4 hours ago, Waynerd said:

Resin is known to be inherently unstable so it always bewilders me when people invest hours and hours in resin bodies.

Yep. I’m finished with them. I’ll use wheels, but I’ve had some loose their shape while seated in the tires. 
My hoods are all warped also. Anymore, I’ll graft a scoop into a plastic hood. 

Thank you Lorne for sharing your experience. it's sad that all your work is slowly turning into a twisted mess. Curious, who made the body? If you're reluctant to say I understand.

But everyone else, lets not jump to "the resin sky is falling" mentality. 

First off, not all resin is the same. 

I have resin bodies in my stash that are now 25+ years old, not a single sign of warping. Then other bodies from 5 years ago, some warping. 

It is a shame, indeed. However, if you have photos of it, and clearly, you do- than you will always have it. 
What is amazing, mostly for never realizing it before, is that like us, the resin sags with age.
Another however- each batch of resin may differ, so it is indeed possible that not all resin will "die".

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

But everyone else, lets not jump to "the resin sky is falling" mentality. 

First off, not all resin is the same. 

I have resin bodies in my stash that are now 25+ years old, not a single sign of warping. Then other bodies from 5 years ago, some warping. 

Understandable.

But how do you know which is safe to purchase, and which is not?

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $80.00 on a resin kit, sink countless hours and who knows how much money into it, just to have it look like a 50s promo in a few years.

Seems to me like the stuff is just not very trustworthy.

I don't have any joy for this development mind you.

I have several resin kits of my own, some of which have their own separate problems.

But this is just yet another issue that doesn't help promote resin in my opinion.

Steve

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Understandable.

But how do you know which is safe to purchase, and which is not?

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $80.00 on a resin kit, sink countless hours and who knows how much money into it, just to have it look like a 50s promo in a few years.

Seems to me like the stuff is just not very trustworthy.

I don't have any joy for this development mind you.

I have several resin kits of my own, some of which have their own separate problems.

But this is just yet another issue that doesn't help promote resin in my opinion.

Steve

Excellent points, Steve. 

OTOH, resin bodies have been around a long time--30 years at least. If this were a widespread problem, I think we'd have heard about it by now. I'm tempted to believe this is a rare or isolated case. At least I hope so. :unsure:

Some resin hoods and other smaller parts warp (curl up) because they have an extremely thick area adjacent to a thin area.  One such example is an early Camaro hood with the Yenko scoop.  I have two of those, from different casters.  They are designed the same way: scoop is mostly solid making the hood twice as thick in the middle.  Both hoods are curled upwards at the rear corners.

The amount of shrinkage with most resins is miniscule.  But concentrate all of it in one direction, and you'll end up with warpage like this.  A resin body that is a copy of a conversion, with say, the roof or body sides changing in thickness by a great degree will also do this. 

I stay away from a lot of the thinner castings because of this.  The right material could probably be cast as thin as some pieces are being done, but few of us doing these things have the engineering background to determine which material is best for a particular purpose.  We're using the same resin for everything, usually the stuff we are used to working with.  Even so, if you avoid abrupt changes in thickness, you'll probably be okay.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Excellent points, Steve. 

OTOH, resin bodies have been around a long time--30 years at least. If this were a widespread problem, I think we'd have heard about it by now. I'm tempted to believe this is a rare or isolated case. At least I hope so. :unsure:

I agree.

I have several resin kits that are probably 20+ years old and I don't believe warping has been an issue on any of them yet, although the vast majority of them remain unpainted.

The biggest problem that I have seen to date is a few of them drying out to the point that they have become extremely brittle.

Steve

You touched on one possibility, Steve. The resin may behave until it is painted. Certain paints and primers might cause a reaction in the resin that other products wouldn't. I don't know this for a fact, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. LoL

16 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Everything deteriorates over time. It is interesting to hear this about a finished resin model.  I have noticed tires shrinking on regular plastic rims on some of my older builds.

This is true, but I feel relatively secure that a plastic model that has survived unscathed for up to 60 years already, will likely last well past a lifetime.

With resin, I have some skepticism.

Steve