Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Mercury - Class of '53 - Graduate # 5

Ramfins59

Hi gang.  This evening I finished up a 1953 Mercury... something I guess we rarely, if ever see in a model.  I picked up this resin kit by R & R on EBAY a little over a year ago.  The body was a surprisingly good casting that only needed a minimal amount of cleanup.  I glued the hood on to make it a curbside model.  The interior was trash, so I wound up using the interior, chassis & the wheels & tires from a 1953 Ford kit.  The front glass, outside door handles & mirror are also from the Ford kit.

The color is Tamiya Cobalt Green with a lot of BMF.  The interior was sprayed with Tamiya gray green and then I applied turquoise flocking to the seats, door panels & package tray.  The door panels have Molotow chrome trim.  The dashboard was painted body color with Molotow chrome accents & the "carpet" was done with black embossing powder.

It's not the best model I've ever built, but it makes a great and unusual 5th addition to my "Class of '53" collection.

Thanks for looking in on this.  Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.  

Please all stay very well.

Rich

HPIM5464.JPG

HPIM5459.JPG

HPIM5463.JPG

HPIM5460.JPG

HPIM5461.JPG

HPIM5462.JPG

HPIM5455.JPG

HPIM5456.JPG

HPIM5457.JPG

HPIM5458.JPG

Beautiful looking Mercury, I wish the model companies had shown a little love for some of the great looking Mercury body styles. The body and interior colors are spot on for the time period. The chrome Wire Wheels would have been pretty special at that time. I remember a neighbor who had a Salmon & Black roof one with those and it was an outstanding looking car also.