Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do Lacquer Fumes Kill Caronavirus?

LOL...

I'm going to give this modeling another try.  I think it was the painting that gave me the most frustrations and problems, but I've decided to use airbrushed lacquers this time for better results.  For a newb to airbrushing which paints do you all recommend for best results?  I know @Zoom Zoom likes to decant Tamiya spray paints as I have read several posts/articles from him stating the fact so I will definitely do that but as far as not having to decant I was thinking Mr. Color bottled lacquers.  Are there better deals out there for pre mixed hobby paints?  I don't want the crazing of paints from auto parts stores like I experience with my last attempt. 

I'm hoping the airbrush will cut down on paint fumes around my spray booth so I can bring it inside to my home office and vent out the window to get better results without the heat and humidity of my Central Florida garage.

If you're going to use Tamiya sprays, you don't need an airbrush. It will only add to your frustrations and problems if you're fairly new at painting. It also won't cut down on fumes. I recommend doing a few paint jobs straight from the can before getting an airbrush. If after a few paint jobs, you still want to learn how to use one, then get one.

For me, an airbrush is too much hassle. The cleaning, decanting, mixing paint, adjusting air pressure and pattern. Oh, cleaning it again. I had two airbrushes. One I used a handful of times. The other, I never used. I tossed both of them when I started using Tamiya paint. 

30 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

If you're going to use Tamiya sprays, you don't need an airbrush. It will only add to your frustrations and problems if you're fairly new at painting. It also won't cut down on fumes. I recommend doing a few paint jobs straight from the can before getting an airbrush. If after a few paint jobs, you still want to learn how to use one, then get one.

For me, an airbrush is too much hassle. The cleaning, decanting, mixing paint, adjusting air pressure and pattern. Oh, cleaning it again. I had two airbrushes. One I used a handful of times. The other, I never used. I tossed both of them when I started using Tamiya paint. 

Thanks Roger, I actually like using an airbrush when the paint is mixed correctly.  If I can get paint that is either ready to go or has mix ratios that are easy to use I think I would really enjoy it.  I did a lot of experimenting before with craft Acrylics and could get nice, smooth paint jobs out of them but they were not shinny and they didn't have any durability.  For non shiny things on the car I might use the Tamiya Acrylics but I know how to mix those now and I'll stick with their thinners.. no cheap shortcuts for me this time.  I think I will try AK Extreme metal paints for metallic paint.. it is premixed for the airbrush.  

I'm also going to build as much of the car up before paint (and final glue) to test fit things first to avoid unexpected issues with fit this time too... Then I can possibly handle things less after paint.  We'll see how it goes.  Some of my biggest issues were humidity so I'm going to have to paint indoors and paint cans will over power my booth.

Edited by jchrisf

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Do some research before buying an airbrush. Some are far easier to clean than others. More expensive does not necessarily mean better for our purposes. I have found the siphon feed bottles way easier to clean than the little gravity cup on mine.

8 minutes ago, yh70 said:

..the lacquer paint smells worse than enamel paints..

"Smell" is subjective. Some people feel that Blue Silton and Limburger cheeses stink to high heaven. Others don't mind their respective aromas. Like with the cheeses, proper ventilation is also recommended when using solvent-based paints.

43 minutes ago, yh70 said:

if u want to cut down of fumes go all water base acrylic paints ..easy clean up ,no smell..the lacquer paint smells worse than enamel paints..

I would do that with Tamiya Acrylics and everything but the body if they are durable, which they appear to be but I don't have any experience with them.  For the body how would you get them shiny and smooth? 

Also, Tamiya Acrylics stink.

Edited by jchrisf

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I got rid of my two air-brushes a few years ago along with a compressor. I like painting with lacquers and use Tamiya, Testors,
Black Gold, MCW, and Dupli-Color  and besides they're all compatible with each other from my experience. And YES I really like the "shake 'n spray" method and get good results such as this..................................................

image.png.8f61f3895ebec349b28dd10d5c37d786.png

image.png.6137fc22782597dbd4e2f0203bae548e.png

If you're looking for easy and terrific pre-thinned airbrush lacquers, you absolutely cannot go wrong with MCW and Scale Finishes paints!

Both are a dream to work with.

I don't see the advantage to messing around with decanting paint when you are limited to what the manufacturer feels it wants to offer as far as color when you can choose virtually any color you can think of already pre-mixed and ready to spray.

One of the biggest epiphanies to me in all my years of building was discovering that I didn't have to be confined to whatever color testors or Tamiya decided to put into a spray can.

One of my biggest joys now at the beginning of a project is to be able to look at color chip sheets for a particular make and year and to know that I will be able to get any color on that chart that I choose from one of these 2 providers.

Steve

Switching over to using an airbrush was one of the best things I ever did in the hobby,  I still use rattle cans but most of my paint work is done by air brush now, and really, cleaning an air brush isnt hard or time consuming, I mean it take's less time to clean it than painting .   I am not talking about a full tear down, but just after use cleaning meaning running some thinner thru it.

Edited by martinfan5

12 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I hear this a lot from people who use spray cans.  It really burns me up!  It takes me around a minute to "clean" my airbrush, to get it ready for the next job.  One of these days I have to make a video of my method, so that excuse gets squashed.  Airbrush gives you *SO MUCH* more control of your painting process.

I described my cleaning method on another forum. Here is a link to that post (I recommend reading the entire thread): https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=41067.msg511017#msg511017

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I hear this a lot from people who use spray cans.  It really burns me up!  It takes me around a minute to "clean" my airbrush, to get it ready for the next job.  One of these days I have to make a video of my method, so that excuse gets squashed.  Airbrush gives you *SO MUCH* more control of your painting process.

I described my cleaning method on another forum. Here is a link to that post (I recommend reading the entire thread): https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=41067.msg511017#msg511017

I have to agree.

First of all decanting and mixing paint is totally unnecessary.

Why mess with all of that when all you have to do is open a jar and start painting.

Second, adjusting air pressure isn't rocket science and it's part of the "control" equation.

I spray everything at approximately 40 PSI and adjusting that pressure is as simple as twisting a knob.

Third, as Peter stated, cleaning an airbrush, even if you're breaking it down, takes literally 5 minutes or less.

That time spent is well worth the effort, if for no other reason than I don't have to limit myself to what Tamiya thinks is a good color to paint my model.

I guess If your satisfied with a couple of dozen color choices, versus literally thousands, who am I to suggest otherwise.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I agree as well.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I guess If your satisfied with a couple of dozen color choices, versus literally thousands, who am I to suggest otherwise.

Steve

You obviously don't know much about Tamiya paints. The TS line alone has 98 colors. PS has 68 colors. AS has the least with 32 colors. The AS colors are flat. But, can be cleared and or polished. All spray cans. That's a lot more than a couple dozen. 

Edited by Plowboy

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

You obviously don't know much about Tamiya paints. The TS line alone has 98 colors. PS has 68 colors. AS has the least with 32 colors. The AS colors are flat. But, can be cleared and or polished. All spray cans. That's a lot more than a couple dozen. 

I know enough to know that their numbers are dwarfed by what's available from either MCW or Scale Finishes and the colors offered are exact factory matches, not "close enough" facsimiles.

Just for giggles, I went onto the Scale Finishes website and counted the number of colors available just for Pontiac between 1955 and 1959 as an example.

There were 94.

Multiply that times 41 different makes from 1950 to present.

That's a lot of colors!!

MCW goes all the way from the 30s to the 70s.

They have approximately 375 colors listed for General Motors alone!

Both offer engine colors, interior colors, custom and racing colors, etc.

There is no comparison.

I'm not trying to "dis" anybody, but there's a great big world of alternatives out there.

Why not utilize them?

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

18 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I would do that with Tamiya Acrylics and everything but the body if they are durable, which they appear to be but I don't have any experience with them.  For the body how would you get them shiny and smooth? 

Also, Tamiya Acrylics stink.

This guy ruined the paint using automotive paints and switched to Tamiya using Mr Hobby Super Clear III as a clear coat with great results

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If you're looking for easy and terrific pre-thinned airbrush lacquers, you absolutely cannot go wrong with MCW and Scale Finishes paints!

Both are a dream to work with.

I don't see the advantage to messing around with decanting paint when you are limited to what the manufacturer feels it wants to offer as far as color when you can choose virtually any color you can think of already pre-mixed and ready to spray.

One of the biggest epiphanies to me in all my years of building was discovering that I didn't have to be confined to whatever color testors or Tamiya decided to put into a spray can.

One of my biggest joys now at the beginning of a project is to be able to look at color chip sheets for a particular make and year and to know that I will be able to get any color on that chart that I choose from one of these 2 providers.

Steve

Thanks Steve.. exactly what I was looking for... paints specific for plastic cars and ready to go.

I do appreciate Tamiya as an inexperience newb because they lay out exactly what colors to use so there is no guessing on my part.  Their sprays decanted might be the better deal but I'd rather go for ease of use now to make my experience easier and more successful.  Plus I want to use an airbrush for as much as I can.. I find using the airbrush when everything is mixed correctly to be the most enjoyable part of model building.

Edited by jchrisf

4 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks Steve.. exactly what I was looking for... paints specific for plastic cars and ready to go.

I do appreciate Tamiya as an inexperience newb because they lay out exactly what colors to use so there is no guessing on my part.  Their sprays decanted might be the better deal but I'd rather go for ease of use now to make my experience easier and more successful.  Plus I want to use an airbrush for as much as I can.. I find using the airbrush when everything is mixed correctly to be the most enjoyable part of model building.

Each to his own. I have used both Tamiya and Testors spray cans. I am not concerned with colour accuracy but I find more and more that the spray pattern is very heavy compared to what I can get with the airbrush, so I find myself decanting them.

30 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Each to his own. I have used both Tamiya and Testors spray cans. I am not concerned with colour accuracy but I find more and more that the spray pattern is very heavy compared to what I can get with the airbrush, so I find myself decanting them.

Absolutely.

To each his own.

I just question the validity of going through the work of decanting when you can buy the paint all ready to spray.

Just seems very unnecessary to me.

But, we all have our own ideas on how things should be done. :)

Steve

5 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Just be cognoscente Chris, that these are all lacquer paints and require the same preparation as any lacquer would when sprayed on plastic.

You will still require a good primer barrier to insure that there is no damage to the plastic.

It's just the nature of the beast when dealing with lacquer.

Steve