Model Cars Magazine Forum

My brother just completed this large Jiefang CA10 model

Following is in Larry's own words: 

Around 30 years ago, I obtained basic reference to a late '50s Chinese manufactured Jiefang CA10.truck. The tooling for the truck had been obtained from the Russian ZIS, which, in turn, was based closely on the American K Series International, many of which had been sent to Russia through ‘lend lease’ during WW2.  Somehow, I became focused on that Jiefang vehicle and, over the years, managed to collect additional reference as well as various diecast versions in 1/24, 1/32, 1/43, and 1/64 scale.

Last year I purchased an impressive 1/12 scale RC (radio controlled) King Kong toy in kit form.... minus any of the electrical or transmitter based components, with the express intention of converting the RC toy into a more proportionate and detailed 'high end' static display model.

With a good deal of reference in hand, much of the early aspect of the project focused on more accurately proportioning the cab (windows, fenders, etc.), I installed properly hinged doors with functioning handle latches, more finely hinged hood assembly, a hinged opening left hand (driver's) windshield including pivoting windshield wiper (as on the full size vehicle), a pop-up cowl vent, detailed dash board with opening glove box door, a complete and fully detailed firewall, radiator, dual horns, and actual fine leatherette applied to formed seat cushions, etc.  Of note, the entire 'drive train' …engine, transmission, external brake and safety brake components, etc. have been fully scratch built.   A working worm and sector steering box (with its accompanying Pittman arm and drag-link) and a proportionately accurate fuel tank (with its lines and filter) have also been scratch built along with various other chassis components too numerous to mention. The model now has all its belts,  hoses, electrical lines, re-proportioned/ lengthened drive shafts, 8 holed wheels, etc.

Paint is mostly automotive basecoat/clearcoat with assorted Dupli-color automotive touch-up applied to chassis, wheels, motor, etc. 

Materials used are styrene and ABS plastic, aluminum, rubber, vinyl, soldered brass, and assorted steel fasteners.   There is no zinc diecast material on this model

1-1-P4041184.JPG

1-1-P4041191.JPG

1-1-P4041210.JPG

1-1-P4041186.JPG

1-1-P4041193.JPG

1-1-P4041194.JPG

1-1-P4041215.JPG

1-1-IMG_6138.JPG

1-1-IMG_6157.JPG

1-1-IMG_6189.jpg

1-1-P3091068.JPG

1-1-P3091072.JPG

1-1-P3091073.JPG

1-1-P3091083.JPG

1-1-P3101104.JPG

1-1-P3131106.JPG

1-1-P3161117.JPG

1-1-P3191121.JPG

1-1-IMG_6200.jpg

1-1-IMG_6203.jpg

1-1-P4041187.JPG

1-1-P4041194.JPG

1-1-P4041222.JPG

Edited by traditional

Hello, you ´ve done a very nice work with your Jiefang . Details are very awesome and your build is neat. This green tint is a relevant choice with this truck, but i think your Chinese truck is too glossy, it shines like an u.s. show truck , a weathering would have valued much more your model truck. Although this is not the case, i have believed that it was a diecast model, the gloss of the paint , with this kind of truck, greatly accentuates this feeling. But it’s just my own opinion !

Philippe.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Hello, you ´ve done a very nice work with your Jiefang . Details are very awesome and your build is neat. This green tint is a relevant choice with this truck, but i think your Chinese truck is too glossy, it shines like an u.s. show truck , a weathering would have valued much more your model truck. Although this is not the case, i have believed that it was a diecast model, the gloss of the paint , with this kind of truck, greatly accentuates this feeling. But it’s just my own opinion !

Philippe.

Actually, The Chinese plant built both military versions as well as civilian versions. The civilian versions were done in gloss green (probably enamel at that time) and although, like all work trucks, it would be no time at all to look dirty and sun-faded, they left the assembly-line as clean glossy vehicles.  Like all his other model trucks, Larry (my twin brother) is only interested in vehicles as new, and therefore wanted his model to look as it may have just been factory completed.

Attached is a factory pic of the Jiefang CA10 yard full of civilian tracks out in the dusty sunshine, waiting for delivery

1-Scan.jpg

1-Scan-001.jpg

Edited by traditional

What a great looking model. Whenever I go to open a post about yours or Larry's models, I feel like a kid opening a present on Christmas morning! Larry's passion for these trucks is quite apparent to say the least. When I look at the photos of the completed chassis I try to imagine sitting down and fabricating all those components. I like all the work that went into the pivoting drivers wiper and the little tracks for the swing out windshield. I think I'll stick to the parts that come in my model boxes - for now. I'd heard of 'worm and sector' steering before, but  I wasn't quite sure what the term meant. So I'm getting an education here!

Adding those 3D printed scripts to the hood must have been pretty satisfying, like putting the icing on the cake. Killer paint job too.

Thanks for posting this.

Eric

23 hours ago, traditional said:

Actually, The Chinese plant built both military versions as well as civilian versions. The civilian versions were done in gloss green (probably enamel at that time) and although, like all work trucks, it would be no time at all to look dirty and sun-faded, they left the assembly-line as clean glossy vehicles.  Like all his other model trucks, Larry (my twin brother) is only interested in vehicles as new, and therefore wanted his model to look as it may have just been factory completed.

Attached is a factory pic of the Jiefang CA10 yard full of civilian tracks out in the dusty sunshine, waiting for delivery

1-Scan.jpg

Ok, why not ? I understand well that you’re not interested in weathering and you prefer the shiny finish from a civilian brand new truck of the factory outlet. No problem with this. Looking at the Jiefang factory parking lot, it seems to me that the finishes of those trucks are very basic and standard, that’s why if the Jiefang trucks are certainly shiny, i’m not sure they have  an additional clear coat . Don’t forget, it’s just an industrial vehicle, not a show truck . You’ve made a great job, it’s indisputable but i still think that the clear coat on your model is superfluous and makes it too shiny compared to reality.