Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welfare check-in: How are people faring with the shelter in place orders?

Dave Ambrose

9 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Gotta say, Rob, you have it almost perfect from the looks of it.

Charlie Larkin

Well, perfect would involve someone else doing all the work while I stand by with a cold glass of porter. ? But yes, things are pretty good on our little ten acre farm. I've a chicken coop, full of these odd little animals that leave little butt nuggets all over the place. Four goats that never seem to get enough food or attention. A garden that is doing very well. Our first heifer will arrive next week so I'm very glad I got the fence finished. I just turned 52 and the plan is to pay off the place by 63, and be on solar and wind by retirement.

50022563886_87c3560483_c.jpg

50022563181_1e255b8bdd_c.jpg

50022021103_5ef4a29ae6_c.jpg

I finally got back to working on a model....!!!   I shot some wet look clear over a Tangelo Pearl '53 Chevy curbside body this morning.  I figured doing a "quick and easy" curbside would get me back into things......  "Quick and easy" has been taking 3 weeks so far with all the "minor" sanding and changes I've been doing...  At least I'm working on something...... finally......

49 minutes ago, Ramfins59 said:

I finally got back to working on a model....!!!   I shot some wet look clear over a Tangelo Pearl '53 Chevy curbside body this morning.  I figured doing a "quick and easy" curbside would get me back into things......  "Quick and easy" has been taking 3 weeks so far with all the "minor" sanding and changes I've been doing...  At least I'm working on something...... finally......

Glad to hearing you are back in the saddle Rich!  Feeling good?

20 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

Good to see your back at the bench again. 

Thank you Tom and David...  Today I polished out the wet look clearcoat and then applied some pinstripe and flame decals.  Next I'll be doing the BMF work.  The car is being made as a curbside, mild Custom and so far is coming out the way I envisioned it.  I'll post some in-progress pics soon.

Wife and I were possibly exposed after having dinner with some friends who were exposed at a funeral . Of course everybody had to be tested , ours came back negative , :D , still waiting for our friends results to come back . :huh:

We have stayed close to home, only going out for shopping and daily walks around the neighborhood. When we go out we wear our masks and use hand sanitizer. Masks are required here, no quarrel with us! 

We have only done two social visits with my daughters, who are also quarantining. We’ve done these as backyard barbecues with social distancing. 

I'm still working every day, business as usual...though shop volume is down about 50% and we laid one guy off until it picks back up (but he's not panicking, 'cause his own shop is full of work he can catch up on).

The state is seeing a rise in new cases (primarily among younger people), interestingly about 2 weeks after all those "peaceful protests" where nobody was too worried about social-distancing.

Still going for my twice-weekly hikes at the mountain, weekly grocery run, parts and hardware stores for work as necessary, twice to Hobby Town since they reopened, not wearing a mask unless wherever I'm going specifically requires it for entry, and not using hand sanitizer...just a little common sense.

I'm well over 65, so I guess I should be hiding under the bed, praying for another round of stimulus checks.

Nah.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Use a mask going in and out of stores. Went out to breakfast at our favorite place last week on a Monday morning. We had most of the dinning area to our selves and all of the wait staff were masked up. I'll error on the side of safety on the mask thing. Well over 65, enlarged heart, high blood pressure, and allergic to anything green and blooms. Other than that all is good.   

Pretty much business as usual for me as I tend to keep to myself most of the time anyway. Only hardship has been not seeing family at Easter and having to go 15 weeks without a haircut. The Province is slowly reopening erring on the side of caution and so far so good. People here have been very respectful wearing masks and keeping distance with the exception of the occasional hipster. The supply chain at the grocery stores was a little dodgy at the beginning but they seem to have caught up with the demand now. Some of their changes I'd like to see remain even after the pandemic. The one way aisles and families sending just one designated shopper makes it easy on everyone. The stores have even converted this once cash shopper to debit and credit.

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The state is seeing a rise in new cases (primarily among younger people), interestingly about 2 weeks after all those "peaceful protests" where nobody was too worried about social distancing 

Yup! Exactly as I predicted and feared! And it would be amusing if it wasn’t so sad that as the news reports the upticks they avoid mentioning the cause!