Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welfare check-in: How are people faring with the shelter in place orders?

Dave Ambrose

I can only guess, using my former low-paid trudge-to-work 5 days a week life as a comparison, how wigged out a person might get, particularly if no employment and a meager savings puts such a person one step away from homelessness. But I traded that for what amounted to a work at home activity years back which was, and still is, isolated enough that if I didn't talk to anyone for more than a week, my voice would be lousy for a day or two when I was back among relatives. So, this is normal to me, and if I didn't pay attention to any news, I'd just be wondering why more people seem to be worried about breathing pollen in the air, and why the grocery store seems to have a sudden weird food and paper stocking problem.

Cutting my commute time down from 50 minutes each way, to that walk to/from the office space, has really opened up some bench time for me. This month is the most I have had in a long time. I also get more time with the family in the evening.

Having said that, I feel for the people that are impacted, both directly and indirectly. Lots of lost jobs, damaged retirement accounts etc. We have folks at work that already know this will now delay their retirement.

While I am fortunate enough to still be working, working from home is just not the same, without the team, the tools etc.  Ultimately, I am thankful tho, and remind myself as much on a regular basis. I hope that many others here on the board are also not overly impacted.

Still employed (working from home), and busy as ever. Chores, and lots of hobby projects.  Also delivering groceries to my 80-something mom in her apartment, so she doesn't have to go out.  No time to be bored or to have many gloomy thoughts.  I also still spend too much time on my computer posting in online forums! :D

We're so fortunate to be retired and have a stable income right now . We don't go out as much of course , we used to eat out at least 3-5 times a week . Just grocery runs and out to the farmers market for fresh veggies . We have a couple of friends we see regularly , so it's not too bad . Miss seeing the grands though .

2 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

We're so fortunate to be retired and have a stable income right now . We don't go out as much of course , we used to eat out at least 3-5 times a week . Just grocery runs and out to the farmers market for fresh veggies . We have a couple of friends we see regularly , so it's not too bad . Miss seeing the grands though .

Same here except the friends. Sometimes we call the grandkids before going for a walk so they're in the window when we come by. Plenty of time for styrene and sawdust.

Not too much different for me other than not going out.  I've worked from home since moving here 3 years ago, still working from home.  Getting all my groceries via local grocery curbside pickup and delivery, and a lot of deliveries from Amazon and Whole Foods.   Yard guys came a couple days ago and started mowing season.   Got some supplies for working in the back yard delivered from Home Depot.   I do miss eating out, but get Door Dash deliveries occasionally from my favorite local restaurants.    Cars sitting in the garage, but I do start them and drive around the neighborhood once a week or so. 

Still working in one shop, business as usual. Sometimes a little difficult getting parts and supplies though, as many of the businesses that feed us are short staffed.

Thought I was getting the bug a couple times, but the pollen has been in record high territory lately, and it's been causing problems even for people who have no previous allergic reaction to it.

Local infection rates are still climbing, and several types of crime are way up due in large part to stress and cabin fever.

Traffic is, of course, way down. Getting around is much like it was 40 years ago when this was still a rural county.

And still no TP in the major chain grocery stores. I wonder what they do with it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, I’ve been out of work for a month now , out of that span, have maybe had a half dozen decent days weather-wise. I’ve been at the bench a lot........., 5 or 6 hours a day some days. Been to crappy to do any outside work so far. Going semi-crazy to a degree........

I'm essential so I'm still working but doing my best to distance and isolate when possible. Because my routine is still the same it hasn't really hit me it has others, it's more like when I normally had to work on a holiday or something. My wife gets stir crazy sometimes, she's usually at home during the day but not going out in the evening wears on her eventually. 

I'm retired with no local family members and not very social. Only a couple very minor inconveniences.  Market crash affected stock portfolio, but I know not to panic and did some bargain buying. Went on a diecast buying binge to keep my spirits up. 

Like some others have mentioned we're lucky enough to be retired and have a stable income so that is not an issue. And we're homebodies so except for the odd hobby related thing we would normally go to we seldom leave the house so staying home is not an issue. I'm the one designated to go shopping and while I don't mind it I am currently finding it stressful because people cannot follow the simplest of rules like following the lines marked on the supermarket floor that encourages flow and social distancing. Fortunately hobby shops are willing to ship so I have an order coming with some paint and the new Revell Land Rover.

Somewhat surprised by how many retired people are on this forum!  Yes,  both my wife and I are retired but have a lot to do.  I have been in and out of hospitals and doctors offices and now teleconferences with doctors since February(cardiac and pacemaker issues), so I have had enough "getting out".   I miss my club meetings and going to a restaurant when I want to though.  Use to grocery shop a couple of times a week and now my kids insist(rightfully so) that we let them do that.  Live in SoCal so going out to the backyard and enjoying the sunshine is a regular occurance.  Lots of neighborhood walks. 

I find myself shutting down the TV and going out to my shop much more often, which is a good thing.  I also find myself sorting through my stash and thinking, I don't need that!  Will probably get real active on ebay soon, but then I need to go to the post office.  Not sure how that is going to work. 

Definitely feel sorry for those who are out of work and now have to figure out how to make the bills and feed the family.  Trying to figure out how to help without just throwing money at the charities and going out to expose myself to the virus.  Right now, I really don't want to come down with it.  Old folks with heart conditions are not fairing well!  I would prefer not to be one of those statistics.

Also learning that just about everything I need is available online.  Shopping can be an adventure and so far have had no issues, but then I've been doing this for years, just not for things like groceries. 

Frankly, I have very little to be concerned about.  My stock portfolio took a hit, but as a retired financial advisor, I know if I leave it alone, in a year or two, it will all come back.  Just have to be patient.  I worry about those who were paycheck to paycheck.  A couple of thousand from the government isn't going to go very far, even with unemployment. 

In the words of Hill Street Blues,

uoi2u.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

I got laid off the first of February. I knew it was coming for a month, and it had been a temp gig the whole time, so I saved my money in the run-up months. I hadn't planned to go back to work for at least three months, maybe more, just stay home and work on models, so aside from not being able to find toilet paper, this is pretty much exactly how I already planned to spend my spring. 

Who knows what will happen after that? I don't worry about it--we could all be dead by then (which has actually been true every single day of our lives). I'm very thankful for every day and every little thing I have. Enjoy today and model on! B)

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...Who knows what will happen after that? I don't worry about it--we could all be dead by then (which has actually been true every single day of our lives). 

Yup. Something to remember. Instead of whining and panicking about tomorrow, make today count.

I am truly blessed. I can work from home. We have food, and supplies. (even TP). The Grand Squirrels and their folks, live right across the street, so we can visit each other. My daughter has taken over 90% of the cooking for both families, and is ordering things we need online, and having it delivered.

So, in all we are in good shape. It was 85 degrees outside yesterday, so the kids could go outside and get some fresh air.

I'm spending too much time online, and between work and the Honey-Do list, I've not had any time to model. Maybe later, but none now.

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I got laid off the first of February. I knew it was coming for a month, and it had been a temp gig the whole time, so I saved my money in the run-up months. I hadn't planned to go back to work for at least three months, maybe more, just stay home and work on models, so aside from not being able to find toilet paper, this is pretty much exactly how I already planned to spend my spring. 

Who knows what will happen after that? I don't worry about it--we could all be dead by then (which has actually been true every single day of our lives). I'm very thankful for every day and every little thing I have. Enjoy today and model on! B)

...pretty much ...yep

Construction sales should have started up about a month ago, but with everyone at home, no one wants us anywhere near them (can't blame them).

Building and refinishing cabinets and furniture in the garage, and modeling at the bench...

Stay safe and...Build Something !! 

Living the life of a house cat! I’m here in the house with my wife and neither of us are working. We are okay financially but as said, worried about our retirement savings.

We go out for a walk every day and exchange a few words with neighbors as we pass each other. Keeping in touch with family and friends via social media and now in Zoom meetings. Going out for groceries and beer once a week. Haven’t had to buy gas since this all started and the wife had a dead battery since the big Buick hadn’t been started in weeks. I’m cooking nice things to brighten up our days, just put tonight’s pork chops in marinade, will be grilling them later!

I’m getting some yard work done and spending time at the bench. I finished one I started a few weeks ago, so now I will work on a few existing projects that need to be finished. 

Otherwise we are trying to keep our attitudes positive and get through each day!  Be good folks, we will get through this mess!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Fortunately/unfortunately nothing has changed for me. Fortunate because my wife and I are still working. Unfortunate because we have a 15 month old son that I was looking forward to getting to spend a lot of time with. My wife is a registered nurse for the VA hospital in Richmond, VA and I work for a small chemical manufacturer. So, no extra time to do anything fun.

Still working 8.5hrs a day from home and it looks like I'll be working 8am-1pm next Saturday on top of that, so barring a another sick or computer issue day, that should be a nice paycheck!  Other than that, I've only left the property to go to the store over the weekends or to get food for Dad and myself if he doesn't get the chance to cook while I'm on the phone all day.  He's gone to the store during the "Senior Hours" multiple times, went to get my Sister's help with Mom's taxes a couple times and just went and traded his slowly dying '06 Town and Country for a '20 Grand Caravan in basically the same metallic/pearl black the last couple days.  I still don't go out just to "drive", but I do "let the horses run", within reason, in when I can get out of the house;):D

We are doing fine, really not much different from our normal life! Guess we live a pretty boring life these days!:lol:

I have only been out about once every 10 days since this started. (excluding my yard)

Only to the grocer or drug store.

Did have the wife to the doctor twice this week though. Monday because they had to change her inhaler to one Medicare D would pay for. The other she had been using samples from the doctor but they jobbers are getting stingy with them. 485 dollars each and she needs one every month.

Put her on a different one that Medicare D will pay for copay only 30 bucks a month.

Today had to take her back because she had a urinary tract infection so he put her on antibiotics for 10 days. Said it was common when going on to this new inhaler. (just what we needed)

Spend most of the day reading or working on models. Weather breaks soon I'll go out and work on the 1966 Buick in the driveway.

I’ve been off for a month so far, next week too with possibly going back on the 27th unless I hear otherwise. On unemployment for two weeks and company pay and benefit type payout for the other three, along with a few vacation days used too. I’m only getting half of what I make but stimulus helped! We’ll manage to get by but not sure for how long. 
our main concern is keeping healthy for our daughter! She’s immune compromised and has other health issues. Cold and flu season we don’t venture out anywhere unless it’s needed. Granted what we’re doing now is what we’ve done in past years and adding a bit more concern.. To my wife and I this is close to normal... 
I Go to Walmart for groceries and stuff once a week for us and my in laws, my wife goes out once every two weeks to another local store (down the street about two blocks) to get the “healthier” food items we use.. 

Hope everyone stays healthy through all of this!!