Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got my replacement Camaro body. Same mold flaw as original part, lol.

I just laughed when I unwrapped the bubble wrap and saw the same molding flaw on this body that was on the original body from the kit. I'm not complaining, just kind of wondering if they're aware or want to be aware of the flaw in their molds. It's the AMT 1970 1/2 Baldwin-Motion kit, and the AMT 1970 1/2 Z28 kit that obviously is basically the same mold has the same issue. Makes me wonder if the "new" 1970 Full Bumper Camaro is basically the same mold and that's the reason it's release has been delayed, that they finally "discovered" the mold flaw and are finally going to try to fix the issue. In no way is this going to stop me from buying more AMT/Round 2 kits as there are too many of their kits I want to build, and I will probably still buy more of the Camaro kits, as I really enjoyed building the Motion kit and it went together really well. First pic is the kit body, second pic is the replacement body from Round2. I'll end up fixing this one too, I just had to laugh and had to share.

DSCN4172.JPG

DSCN4369.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Did the orange body you have have the same issue? I built the B/M many years ago (molded in gray) and it didn't have that issue. Neither of the stock Z/28's I have (molded in orange and gray) have that issue. But, they're all older kits.

That doesn't look to me like molding or mold  flaw - it looks like the missing piece of plastic snapped off after molding.  I also see what looks like a large "gate" area on the bottom edge of the body, and that "gate" was trimmed off the body (after it was molded). This problem might be as simple as the worker that trims the gate off the body not being careful.

Glad I filled my singular need for an RS Camaro and a full bumper Camaro 47y ago. MPC 73 was great kit, never liked 74-on until IROC. That body has aged well. Is that recent issue ('92?) molded OK?

Sorry about replacement body. Maybe send out request on board here, lots of them sitting around I'd think. Fixable but why need to do so.  

I agree with Peter, but still a (double) bummer. Gotta fix it and move on. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW, I purchased two of the molded-in-green kits from Michael's, and neither had this issue, though the Cragar S/S wheels are no longer as crusply molded as they once were.

20 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Did the orange body you have have the same issue? I built the B/M many years ago (molded in gray) and it didn't have that issue. Neither of the stock Z/28's I have (molded in orange and gray) have that issue. But, they're all older kits.

Yup, the orange one had an issue in the same spot. I fixed the issue on the Motion body and built the Gumball Rally Yellow Camaro with it. I also fixed the orange body, but haven't built that one yet

DSCN4342.JPG

DSCN4242.JPG

14 hours ago, peteski said:

That doesn't look to me like molding or mold  flaw - it looks like the missing piece of plastic snapped off after molding.  I also see what looks like a large "gate" area on the bottom edge of the body, and that "gate" was trimmed off the body (after it was molded). This problem might be as simple as the worker that trims the gate off the body not being careful.

That's exactly what it looks like to me too. Quality control isn't what it used to be, lol. The head scratcher to me is that the return address on the package is from Leonard Cousins Round 2 LLC, so Leonard,  or whoever put the body in the box, didn't look for, or notice the obvious flaw/issue?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I agree with Peter, but still a (double) bummer. Gotta fix it and move on. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW, I purchased two of the molded-in-green kits from Michael's, and neither had this issue, though the Cragar S/S wheels are no longer as crusply molded as they once were.

Yeah, I just went ahead and fixed it because I figured I was going to wait a while for the replacement. Good to know they're not all like that, I got mine from Hobbylinc.com. And yes, the Cragars definitely had some flash. It was pretty tricky getting the outside of the rim trimmed without trimming too much off. Luckily, I think I did a pretty good job. Like I said though, despite the excess flash and body flaw, I loved building the kit as the parts fitment was great. I certainly will buy and build more as that's my favorite Camaro body style.

21 hours ago, peteski said:

See what you’re saying about the gate, but that looks like mold damage to me. Something got hung up and the side slide probably dinged the core.

17 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

I have one orange and 4 er 5 of the grey ones.... None of those have that flaw....

I wonder if it's something that happened to the mold recently. I am certainly planning on buying more to do some different colored stock versions.

Here's my orange one with the L-88 hood..... I just need to clean up the flash around the inside of the wheel well.....

I might also use the tunnel ram manifold from the AMT '66 Nova kit.... It's a perfect fit for the Camaro kit motor.... ??

IMG_20200618_160524.jpg

IMG_20200618_160550.jpg

IMG_20200618_161300.jpg

Edited by Deuces ll

On 6/17/2020 at 2:05 AM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I just laughed when I unwrapped the bubble wrap and saw the same molding flaw on this body that was on the original body from the kit. I'm not complaining, just kind of wondering if they're aware or want to be aware of the flaw in their molds. It's the AMT 1970 1/2 Baldwin-Motion kit, and the AMT 1970 1/2 Z28 kit that obviously is basically the same mold has the same issue. Makes me wonder if the "new" 1970 Full Bumper Camaro is basically the same mold and that's the reason it's release has been delayed, that they finally "discovered" the mold flaw and are finally going to try to fix the issue. In no way is this going to stop me from buying more AMT/Round 2 kits as there are too many of their kits I want to build, and I will probably still buy more of the Camaro kits, as I really enjoyed building the Motion kit and it went together really well. First pic is the kit body, second pic is the replacement body from Round2. I'll end up fixing this one too, I just had to laugh and had to share.

DSCN4172.JPG

DSCN4369.JPG

Hmm, that body looks like a test-shot made from recycled plastic!

On 6/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, Deuces ll said:

Here's my orange one with the L-88 hood..... I just need to clean up the flash around the inside of the wheel well.....

I might also use the tunnel ram manifold from the AMT '66 Nova kit.... It's a perfect fit for the Camaro kit motor.... ??

I definitely want to see that one when you're done! I'm going the Pro-Touring route with my orange one. I bought a Cowl Induction hood from Lex's Scale Modeling and I'm putting in the LS motor from a Revell SSR kit, along with the bigger wheels and tires from my Revell '67 Chevelle SS396 Streetburner kit. I'm not sure if I'm going to start that one next though.

DSCN4244.JPG

DSCN4245.JPG