Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who Would Ship A Kit Without Packing It In A Box???

Something weird from foreign eBay sellers, especially Ukraine and Russia:  to save on shipping, they flatten the kit boxes and put those boxes, along with the parts, into a shipping box.  That's not too bad, unless you order several kits at once as I have done a few times.  Then you end up with a big jigsaw puzzle, and have to figure out what parts trees go in which box.  

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Something weird from foreign eBay sellers, especially Ukraine and Russia:  to save on shipping, they flatten the kit boxes and put those boxes, along with the parts, into a shipping box.  That's not too bad, unless you order several kits at once as I have done a few times.  Then you end up with a big jigsaw puzzle, and have to figure out what parts trees go in which box.  

How does that save on shipping?  Usually automotive-subjects kit boxes are pretty full of parts. How does flattening those boxes, leaving the parts outside, then packign all that in a larger box save on shipping?

The most "creative" packaging I have witnessed so far was this:

Box2225.jpeg.7dd76c413c9e10c88a9f6f8d987b57db.jpeg

box2224.jpeg.6724ff3d91a884f5d4c2716ecdef8fc1.jpeg

Yes, the seller packaged my item is an empty generic (Stop & Shop brand) facial tissue box!  The tissue hole was covered by the address label. Very flimsy box, but it survived the shipping with no damage to the contents.  There was some bubble wrap inside to prevent the item from thrashing around much.  I guess I got lucky.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

How does that save on shipping?  Usually automotive-subjects kit boxes are pretty full of parts. How does flattening those boxes, leaving the parts outside, then packign all that in a larger box save on shipping?

These aren't the 1/25 scale car kits we know and love.  They're usually aircraft or 1/35 scale military kits.  I ordered 2 of the 1/35 scale kits in the pic below, a UAZ-452 van and the UAZ-452D pickup truck version.  Also in the same order, a 1/48 scale P-63 King Cobra and some other stuff.  The UAZ bodies are multi-part, not one piece, so the body parts are on the trees and can be stacked along with everything else.

I guess it saves on shipping because the flattened kits and boxes take up less vertical room. And it was pretty easy to separate the parts trees.  Not even I could mistake P-63 parts for those belonging on a Russian truck...

uaz-2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

I don't think I've ever purchased a built up kit before, but the one I received today was very well packaged.  The seller wrapped it in cellophane, then put it in a bubble wrap bag, and put that in a box with foam peanuts and more bubble wrap.  It arrived intact.  I was really impressed.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, peteski said:

Shipping costs are not calculated only by weight, but box size and how far its going. A box less than 12 inches in any dimension with the same weight as one with dimensions over 12 inches going to the same place will cost less.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Shipping costs are not calculated only by weight, but box size and how far its going. A box less than 12 inches in any dimension with the same weight as one with dimensions over 12 inches going to the same place will cost less.

Ok, fair enough.  But like I said, I was thinking of car kits, where the box is usually pretty tightly filled with parts.  Then I was informed that the example that was brought up, was for military kits.  If those come in large boxes that is mostly filled with air (parts comprise small part of its volume) then yes, flattening the boxes would reduce the volume of the package.

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

My wife ordered a ceramic plant pot from Amazon this week...they put it in a padded envelope.  

Now we have a fun 3D ceramic jigsaw to play with whilst we wait for the replacement to arrive! ?

Inflate a balloon....glue the pieces together on the outside of the balloon....when the glue is set, POP the balloon....problem solved!!! LOL

3 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Inflate a balloon....glue the pieces together on the outside of the balloon....when the glue is set, POP the balloon....problem solved!!! LOL

If my Crazy Glue that I ordered in the 1st of the month from them (on a 2 day shipping service) ever arrived from 30 miles over I could do that! ?

8B108CD8-4DEC-48CD-9CDF-2AFDED5B8D88.jpeg.0a21d8ffec6c1801fbdd9fc469ec51be.jpeg

On 7/17/2020 at 10:46 PM, CabDriver said:

My wife ordered a ceramic plant pot from Amazon this week...they put it in a padded envelope.  

Now we have a fun 3D ceramic jigsaw to play with whilst we wait for the replacement to arrive! ?

Man Amazon Is really getting bad on their shipping and their cheap padded envelopes are not any good.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:11 PM, OldTrucker said:

Got my AMT Double Header Kit today that I ordered through Amazon (shipped by Amazon too) and was shocked that all they did was stick labels on the shrink wrap and ship it!!!

Box was all beat to h e double hockey sticks but luckily nothing inside was damaged!!

Just find it inconceivable that they would do that!!!

We ordered a step ladder from Amazon when we moved into our new house last year, same thing, they labeled the ladder, and sent it.

This snippet is unrelated to modeling, but it has to do with Amazon. I bought a car battery charger along with a protection plan. After the charger quit working, I found out the plan doesn't cover chargers. Not too happy with Amazon right now.

13 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

We ordered a step ladder from Amazon when we moved into our new house last year, same thing, they labeled the ladder, and sent it.

I have an extension ladder that was my Dad's, and the across the street neighbor's before that until downsized into a condo. It still has the shipping label to the corner hardware store. Pre-ZIP code too!