Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 C5 Vette finished

carl63_99

Got this one finished today. A few touch up and details, but good for now. Concept was to do one like the 1:1 scale kits to make a C5 look like a C1, but without that terrible body stretch they do. In my opinion, the stretch ruins the lines of the car. So,  I built up both chassis, determines how much to cut from the C5, and stuffed it in. I then cut down the C5 seatbacks, dash and door panels to fit. I did have a time with paint. I usually have no trouble with automotive primer and auto touch-up paint. On this one, it just would not stick. 4th time came out okay. I did a few small custom items. like the tail lights, sanded smooth. Was a fun build.

DSC01610.JPG

DSC01612.JPG

DSC01618.JPG

DSC01619.JPG

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01625.JPG

I like how you did your update on this. I agree with you about the commercial 1:1 Vette's dressed up to look like an earlier model, they just don't get the proportions correct. I also notice that you stayed with one solid color and not paint the coves. I'm used to seeing them painted and I think it may even look better this way. Mecum Auction had a red Corvette go thru this weekend with the same paint treatment and I liked that also. 

Very cool build. I like that you used the old Revell multi-piece body kit as a starting point. They call it a 60, but it's really a 59. Of course, without the stock seats, as you have it, it could be called a 60. Anyway, a very creative and tasteful build. What did you do for the tail lights?

Thanks all for the compliments.

I was going to paint the coves, but after doing the metallic grey, I couldn't bring myself to cover over it. It does clean up the design.

Tail lights are the originals, sanded down smooth, covered with BMF then a heavy coat of Tamiya clear red.

• 3 weeks later...