Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Midget-to-Big Car Conversion (Sort of)

14 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Hey Daniel,

I've been following along and I have to say this a fabulous build. All the extra detail is fantastic.

You were asking how to get and even pattern on scale engine turning. Here is a pic of my solution. The trick is to hold the turning tool steady and move the surface being turned.. I made the jig in the picture. It keeps the rod with a piece dot of cloth sand paper glued to the end from walking. 

The surface is ducting tape. It takes the pattern very well. I tried this process with bare metal foil, but it turned the foil brittle and it chipped when it was installed.

Scott

Dash1-vi.jpg

Thank you for your comments, Scott. Much appreciated! That is an excellent idea! What did you use for the abrasive? My biggest problem is finding something to make uniformly-sized "rings". I have an X-Y table for my Dremel drill press, but haven't been able to come up something that holds its shape, over the course of the operation. Everything seems to flatten and expand, creating a finish that's not evenly-sized. Thanks for looking, sir!

Hi Daniel,

I super glued a small disk of Micro mesh sanding cloth to the end of styrene rod of the size impression I wanted. I trimmed it close with an exit blade. The grit was maybe 1000? You can see the rod in the picture. The soft backing of the sanding cloth provided just enough give. Experiment and count the turns to get a consistent pattern. I did have to change the disc from time to time. 

Hope this helps. 

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

2 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

Hi Daniel,

I super glued a small disk of Micro mesh sanding cloth to the end of styrene rod of the size impression I wanted. I trimmed it close with an exit blade. The grit was maybe 1000? You can see the rod in the picture. The soft backing of the sanding cloth provided just enough give. Experiment and count the turns to get a consistent pattern. I did have to change the dock from time to time. 

Hope this helps. 

Scott

Thank you, Scott. That is very helpful. If I hadn't ventured off, down another trail, tonight, I would give that a shot! I will, soon, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a lot of work done, on this thing, but it wasn't flashy, so, I haven't updated this, in a while. I am very close to putting the wheels on it. I'm doing "punch-list" stuff, toward that. When I looked at the engine, I couldn't help but notice that it was lacking something. It dawned on me that the same method I used to make the snaps, would also help with the look of the engine. I used the inside-tapered brass tubing punch to make some small domes from aluminum duct tape to cover the nuts on the cam covers. Rather than use the tape in its natural form, I dulled its finish with a pink eraser. Once I had applied the discs, I used a short piece of aluminum tubing, again tapered on the  inside, but, not sharpened, to seat the edges of the discs over the nuts I think it worked out pretty nicely! Here are before and after shots. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

It's on the wheels! I think I got everything done that needed to be, before mounting them. We'll see, I reckon! Next up is sanding the film from a sheet of flashing, so that it can be cut and annealed, and work on the hood can commence. Critiques, questions and comments are always welcome! Thanks for looking...

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

39 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Critiques, questions and comments are always welcome! Thanks for looking...

Daniel, I don't know how I missed all this build?  Maybe I'm spending too much time on my workbench in my basement...

This thing is just awesome, you are one of the most ingenious builders I have ever seen, no need for high end tooling, you deliver the goods all the time and that is the mark of a great builder!

I love the stance, I can already imagine the pilot with his leather helmet and his pair of aviator-style goggle traveling some winding roads on a beautiful sunny Sunday.

Impressive!!! ?

Francis, thanks, so much, for your kind words! I am truly humbled by your comments. Glad you found it! I got the plastic coating removed from the aluminum flashing. I am excited to build the hood. I have a couple of different approaches I can take with the hinge. I am going to see if I can mill a simple die, so that I can punch some louvers--we'll have to see how that works out. ? And, no--you can never spend too much time at the bench! I enjoy watching your projects coming along.

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Francis, thanks, so much, for your kind words! I am truly humbled by your comments. Glad you found it! I got the plastic coating removed from the aluminum flashing. I am excited to build the hood. I have a couple of different approaches I can take with the hinge. I am going to see if I can mill a simple die, so that I can punch some louvers--we'll have to see how that works out. ? And, no--you can never spend too much time at the bench! I enjoy watching your projects coming along.

Thank you, gentleman but I am here to praise your work!!! ?

I was just wondering if you could try using a not-too-sharp wood chisel and try punching (or just embossing) the louver shapes one at a time with the aluminum foil resting on a piece of soft wood?  I don't know if it could work?   However, you will need to draw the lines with a pencil to guide you for a consistent and precise repeating pattern.  This is just a suggestion, I know how resourceful you are my friend...!

57 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I was just wondering if you could try using a not-too-sharp wood chisel and try punching (or just embossing) the louver shapes one at a time with the aluminum foil resting on a piece of soft wood?  I don't know if it could work?   However, you will need to draw the lines with a pencil to guide you for a consistent and precise repeating pattern.  This is just a suggestion, I know how resourceful you are my friend...

That is exactly what I intend to use. I've played around with it, some. Wood works okay, but leaves something to be desired. I am thinking of milling a simple, angled slot in  a 1/4"X1/2" piece of aluminum, just to accept the tip of the chisel, and keep the depth, and, therefore the shape, uniform. I'm thinking that'll work pretty slick! Meantime, here's the other side panel. It will need to be cut for exhaust clearance.

2DSC_0001.jpg

2DSC_0005.jpg

17 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you, gentleman but I am here to praise your work!!! ?

I was just wondering if you could try using a not-too-sharp wood chisel and try punching (or just embossing) the louver shapes one at a time with the aluminum foil resting on a piece of soft wood?  I don't know if it could work?   However, you will need to draw the lines with a pencil to guide you for a consistent and precise repeating pattern.  This is just a suggestion, I know how resourceful you are my friend...!

Francis, thank you,  again! I truly appreciate your kind words, my friend. Here is a short thread showing the results of my experimentation. I really think I can  make this work, with a slot milled into a piece of metal (I think even aluminum will be fine, given the light nature of the work.).