Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Midget-to-Big Car Conversion (Sort of)

13 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

I louvre what you're doing here Daniel.

steve ?

Thanks, Steve! Hahaha! I see what you did, there. It's good "louvre" wasn't at the beginning of the sentence. I'd have been left wondering what an art museum in Paris had to do with this!

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You are heading in the right direction Daniel, your louvers are pretty nice and will be perfect after minimal cleaning!  Impressive!!!

Thank you, Francis! For no more than I am going to do, for this project, it will work, just fine. Once I have a little money, again, I want to by a punch press. I think, given that, that I would be able to create them, fairly quickly!

Now, we're talkin'! I cut the handle from the chisel, then turned the tang(?) down, until it would fit into the plunge shaft of my Dremel  drill press.  Until I come  up with something better, I simply mounted it with aluminum duct tape. I milled a slot into a chunk of aluminum as a receiver and stop, to keep the size of every louver (louvre--Hi, Steve! ?) uniform. Preliminary tests are even better than prior efforts, and much easier. One noticeable difference is that the press/die method prefers un-annealed sheet. Still...

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

A final improvement to the  press. I was reluctant to take the drill press apart, at first. Once I had done that, and tested the validity of  my hypothesis, I realized that, to make it viable, the chisel had to be mounted more solidly. A drill, a tap and an allen screw later, and we're good to go!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

2DSC_0007cr.jpg

I'm not exaggerating when I say that, I think this is my proudest day as a modeler. When I got home from work, at the end of last night's shift, I had a workable idea about creating louvers. I began solving problems until I ended up with this. A long day's journey, but, oh, so satisfying! It probably sounds dumb, but, I had tears in my eyes. A bit of fine tuning, and creation of a hinge, and it'll be almost ready for paint!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, Straightliner59 said:

It probably sounds dumb, but, I had tears in my eyes. A bit of fine tuning, and creation of a hinge, and it'll be almost ready for paint!

Not dumb at all - this is super impressive craftsmanship.  I’m envious of your skills!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Not dumb at all - this is super impressive craftsmanship.  I’m envious of your skills!

Thank you, Jim. I truly appreciate that. You have those skills, too, my friend! I believe that, more than anything, doing this crazy stuff is more a matter of just wanting to, than anything else.

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I already told you that you are really resourceful Daniel and you proved it again my friend!  A really smart idea that you can be proud of, this is quite simply the best louver making technique I have ever seen.  The results speak for themselves (but there was a man behind the machine...)!!! ?

Yes, you did, my friend! Thank you so kindly,sir. It's pretty satisfying, when things work out!

3 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Really nice work converting your drill press into a louver punch !

Well done Daniel?

Thanks, Bruce. Very much appreciated!

i love the kurtis cars.they are amazing cars i have a couple of books on indycars and those are my favorite for sure. i have been a custom metal fabricator foe over 49 years and am now retired so i still need my fix so, models .this forum is great.i enjoy scratch building. heres a few pictures of a 32 ford i started in brass.its 1/8 scale.it was taking so long i lost interest.i have been working on 2 other projects.i thik i may get back to the 32 after i finish my 65 mustang gasser. keep up the excellent work.i will be watching your progress.

20190420_142754_(1).jpg

20190414_140517.jpg

20190428_135117_(1).jpg

20190403_183925_(1).jpg

1 hour ago, charlie libby said:

i love the kurtis cars.they are amazing cars i have a couple of books on indycars and those are my favorite for sure. i have been a custom metal fabricator foe over 49 years and am now retired so i still need my fix so, models .this forum is great.i enjoy scratch building. heres a few pictures of a 32 ford i started in brass.its 1/8 scale.it was taking so long i lost interest.i have been working on 2 other projects.i thik i may get back to the 32 after i finish my 65 mustang gasser. keep up the excellent work.i will be watching your progress.

That is awesome! I'm kinda' figuring this stuff out, on the fly. I intend to try something with more complex panels, one of these days. So far, I have this hood, a scoop I formed for a '34 Ford coupe, and a dragster body. I really do enjoy working with sheet metal.

48 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

Excellent work on the louver press, Daniel. I really enjoyed watching you figure this one out. Definitely an idea I'll have to steal one day!

Fantastic!

Scott

Thank you very much, Scott. Please do use it! I post this stuff, in hopes that someone can use it. Modeling isn't about keeping secrets, as far as I am concerned.

I made a piano hinge for the hood. I had to fudge the mounting of it, due to the fact that I still haven't figured a way to get a clean,  tight fold, along the bottom edges of the top hood panel. So, I drilled the hood panels and the hinge, and inserted plastic model RR rivets, and swaged them on the inside. I will smooth them down, a bit, and paint them with the hood, that will make them less visible. The hinge operates very smoothly! The hood only needs some minor tweaking. In my excitement to assemble it and test fit it, I forgot clean it all up. Guess that'll take longer, now! The exhaust pipe is only set in place. I am still working on its hanger bracket. As always, questions,  comments and critiques are welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

FANTASTIC fabrication Daniel, you can be proud of you my friend!   I have a plan to make piano hinges but my choice of model is not the right era to integrate them.   Maybe I'll find an opportunity to incorporate some into a future project, it's a really cool feature and you nailed it sir!    Great art my friend!!! ?❤️

9 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

FANTASTIC fabrication Daniel, you can be proud of you my friend!   I have a plan to make piano hinges but my choice of model is not the right era to integrate them.   Maybe I'll find an opportunity to incorporate some into a future project, it's a really cool feature and you nailed it sir!    Great art my friend!!! ?❤️

Thank you, Francis! As I was soldering the hinges together, I was thinking about what a fine investment the resistance soldering rig was. So glad I have that! I truly appreciate your ongoing support, in this project. Most of the major stuff is done, with this thing, now. Still a way to go, yet, though. Thanks for looking in, my friend!