Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

6 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

My guess is dumping kits they feel the might not be able to move once the Revell kit comes out.

Based on what the auctions that are running say it seems to be someone liquidating a collection/store/personal collection. All of them make references to them being the "last of my model kits".

178 auctions in the past 12 months feedback-wise...if I liquidated my collection that way it would take almost 8 years. I suspect for many here, it would be more than a decade.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vamach1 said:

In this case probably not.   There has to be some other explanation.

E5FB98FA-30EF-4E2B-8EB8-9D172415988C.jpeg

The price reflects an inaccurate blob of plastic. $17 bucks is too high especially since there are no good parts to salvage. 

1 hour ago, BobbyG said:

The price reflects an inaccurate blob of plastic. $17 bucks is too high especially since there are no good parts to salvage. 

I’ve been know to criticize this MPC based kit for a long time.  😏  I will say the new Round2 decals are great improvement but you know the old saying about putting lipstick on pig.  Anyway, perhaps I should sell off some of the original kits I have as they seem to be still fetching a decent amount of change.  Let’s hope the Revell kit is worth the wait and it should be worth the higher price.

I think one of these Ebay sellers sees the writing on the wall.  The other must never sell anything at those prices.

583F73A4-C3ED-4393-BF1C-6D29095434E6.jpeg

772E0B02-47F4-4942-98DF-C79A58B036A4.jpeg

D554B959-EF7F-460E-BCE4-164BFF5A67A3.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Test shot of the  …..  Okay it’s too late for April Fools.  Not sure if I posted this WIP before.  It’s that old MPC kit with a Missing Link front chrome bumper.  Needless to say I lost interest in finishing this one when the buzz started about the Revell kit.  So I will probably finish this one eventually as all it’s missing is the front and rear spoilers, correct dual exhaust, side windows,  silver trim around the hood paint,  and the dealbreaker for any of the AMT and MPC 71-73 Mustang kits is a 351 CLEVELAND engine (this one needing a Boss 351 of course) which has never been made in stock form in 1/25 scale.

05DA0F52-1756-4A06-8F12-9EC520392EE4.jpeg

0067675D-9594-4E17-8E8B-3267B641FE73.jpeg

EDC50322-8C1B-4958-AE67-0006301A96E8.jpeg

EA77B0B4-B52A-497B-801E-26520192FD01.jpeg

We need to remember, this kit wasn't even properly announced until recently. The only reason we knew of it's existence prior to a few months ago was an "unauthorized" release of a pic of the 3D scanning of the subject. In normal kit development all the things that have taken place in the last two years on this project would have been done well before we even knew of the project. Add in a global pandemic and I'd say we're on track for test shots maybe by the end of 2022. Patience

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 12:30 AM, RDean58 said:

Just thinking here, the RETAIL price may not come down, but what about MANUFACTURING costs?

In 2017-'18, I was talking to a contract manufacturer at a trade show as I've seriously explored going into the business of producing hobby products, and at that time, the costs, at least according to a few people from different firms I had spoken to, were practically identical.

At this point, between inflation, new regulations, and other factors, I'm not sure, although I suspect it has gone up. With that, I would suspect it has in China, too, but the question is how much.

Charlie Larkin

Hi, I am a little late to this thread but that was my Boss 351 they scanned for the model. It was ordered with Sports Wheel Covers for $23 according to the Marti report. The car is not perfect but overall pretty good. I have not heard when the model is coming out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B351 said:

Here is the copy of the window sticker.

marti.thumb.JPG.954f6d7f9ab00fbf21e3199c40032113.JPG

John...that is great info you just gave us.  Congrats on owning such a cool car (particularly in Grabber Lime....so. so cool!!!), and thanks from all of us for letting Revell scan your car while developing their kit.  Best regards....TIM BOYD 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, B351 said:

It was ordered with Sports Wheel Covers for $23 according to the Marti report.

What are those wheel covers like? Are they the 'typical' hubcaps-with-wide-trim-rings setup (i.e., the ones seen frequently on the Mach 1 models of the same year)?

The handful of 1971 BOSS 351's I've seen all had the 15" Magnum [et al.] wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

What are those wheel covers like?

Thanks to Jesse for this pic early in the thread. I respectfully bow my head and apologize for what I said earlier in the thread regarding these wheelcovers after seeing the window sticker. I am fairly knowledgeable about 1965-70 Mustangs and somewhat knowledgeable of the 71-73 generation, but was unaware that these were available in the 15" size necessary for the Boss 351. I would like to see the Marti report for the scanned car to see how many cars had this wheel cover option. My guess is that not many were produced.

That said, two comments: 1. Glad that Revell purposely or accidentally scanned a car with the deluxe interior that could lead to future Mach 1 variants. 2. I hope they include a set of Magnum 500s in the Boss 351 kit.

Monday Shopper: 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 – When You Want To Mess With Everyone’s Head!

• Like 3

Hi, thanks for the comments. These are one piece wheel covers. I also had a set of Magnum 500's but liked these due to being what the car was ordered with. These are not original, the previous owner found a set of NOS ones. They look a lot like regular wheels and a few have been broken (not mine) due to using air tools on the "lugs".

• 2 weeks later...

Saw these test shots on Facebook.  It’s looking spot on.  I even see the rev limiter and other things you would NEVER see on an old mold from 50 years ago.  There was no picture of the hood but I’m sure the ram air plenum will be there.  The more I look the more little details I see like you would see on a high end diecast from Danbury Mint or Autoart.

4D796712-97F1-4403-9C6E-018B906BE9B8.jpeg

91FF49A1-9879-4954-91FD-B1AECF2FD1B1.jpeg

DAECC392-4802-4048-818A-5B297963AD33.jpeg

C4264E36-47B5-430F-8ABD-05D4AE5B3FD3.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I'm ready to order one... any idea if this new kit will be available before 2023?

Hopefully someone in Omaha will get the inside scoop.  I hope the tires are a good representation of the Goodyear or Firestone F60-15s.

50 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Saw these test shots on Facebook.  It’s looking spot on.  I even see the rev limiter and other things you would NEVER see on an old mold from 50 years ago.  There was no picture of the hood but I’m sure the ram air plenum will be there.  The more I look the more little details I see like you would see on a high end diecast from Danbury Mint or Autoart.

4D796712-97F1-4403-9C6E-018B906BE9B8.jpeg

91FF49A1-9879-4954-91FD-B1AECF2FD1B1.jpeg

DAECC392-4802-4048-818A-5B297963AD33.jpeg

C4264E36-47B5-430F-8ABD-05D4AE5B3FD3.jpeg

Yeah I already posted these in a separate thread with the rest of the photos from Revell's booth in Omaha. Glad to see they're already walking around FB with my name detached in a matter of hours. 🙄 I'll take a picture of the hood in the morning.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah I already posted these in a separate thread with the rest of the photos from Revell's booth in Omaha. Glad to see they're already walking around FB with my name detached in a matter of hours. 🙄 I'll take a picture of the hood in the morning.

Thanks for taking the pictures.  Revell has nothing up on their site yet.

4567FF90-0468-4948-AC43-D5B0C633785C.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

I like seeing the handwritten production note on the taillight panel reading, "cannot be here" and highlighting what looks to be sink marks from where the piece was punched out of the tool... it's neat to catch a glimpse of quality control at work!

• Like 2

Seeing these test shot pics makes me very optimistic about this kit (I'd like to see a straight on side shot, though). The engine compartment has details I've never seen in a production kit before. Is that really an emissions evap canister hiding under the passenger side strut brace?? Looks like there might even be room to shoehorn a 429 in there! At first I thought the rear splash pan and exhausts were wrong, but I did some searching and the Boss 351 had the straight splash pan and turn-down exhaust just like the model (and my 73 Grande) had. Surprised they didn't have the notched pan with the chrome tips, but those must've come later. It would be nice if they would include another wheel option, like the "Ford Motor Company" dog dishes, but it's not a big deal since Fireball Modelworks makes a really nice set.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, Rodent said:

Thanks to Jesse for this pic early in the thread. I respectfully bow my head and apologize for what I said earlier in the thread regarding these wheelcovers after seeing the window sticker. I am fairly knowledgeable about 1965-70 Mustangs and somewhat knowledgeable of the 71-73 generation, but was unaware that these were available in the 15" size necessary for the Boss 351. I would like to see the Marti report for the scanned car to see how many cars had this wheel cover option. My guess is that not many were produced.

That said, two comments: 1. Glad that Revell purposely or accidentally scanned a car with the deluxe interior that could lead to future Mach 1 variants. 2. I hope they include a set of Magnum 500s in the Boss 351 kit.

Monday Shopper: 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 – When You Want To Mess With Everyone’s Head!

There is really nice set of the sport wheel covers in the Revell 70 Mach I kit.

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date