Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

1 hour ago, deuces wild said:

The kit is missing the optional rear window slats and the ram air duct work under the hood....

Ford did not offer or sell the window slats for the 71-73 sportsroof Mustangs.  Any that you see are sold by aftermarket companies.  The Ford 69/70 slats do not work on a 71-73.  As for the ram air plenum - I thought I saw one in the test shots but I’ll watched the video and it is not a separate piece and is part of the underside of the hood.  While I would have preferred a separate piece everything else looks fantastic.  It could have come down to the piece may have not cleared the air cleaner or was somehow overlooked.  Perhaps someone may know the story behind this.  Even having the “flapper” pieces that fit into the NACA scoops with the vacuum actuators would add a little more realism but I can understand how they were overlooked.

I may be tempted to swap the tires from another kit that has the Firestone or Goodyear F60-15 lettering but otherwise this kit makes any of the rehashed AMT and MPC kit look pathetic.

IMG_8765.jpeg

IMG_8767.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, deuces wild said:

You could be right about the slats... I just checked the video again and no ram air plenum...🙁

This view of the DM 1/24 diecast shows how the ram air system should look although the DM actuators look a little on the tall side but it’s all there including the vacuum lines to each one and the suction is fed from the line going to the intake manifold.  Don’t tell anyone but I have some sets of all the plenum parts cast in resin and I’ll be test fitting those on the Revell hood as soon as I get the kit in my hands in a month or two.

IMG_8768.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2

I'm a bit curious about the best method to make the clear taillight lenses the color Red. Originally thought a wash of Red paint across the backside (that'll be inside the body), might do it, but I'm not so sure. 

I'm surprised they didn't get molded in Red/clear instead of clear/clear.  I'm also wondering, (but doubtful), that a set of Red/clear taillights from a different kit might "drop-fit" into this new Revell kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

I'm a bit curious about the best method to make the clear taillight lenses the color Red. Originally thought a wash of Red paint across the backside (that'll be inside the body), might do it, but I'm not so sure. 

I'm surprised they didn't get molded in Red/clear instead of clear/clear.  I'm also wondering, (but doubtful), that a set of Red/clear taillights from a different kit might "drop-fit" into this new Revell kit.

Tamiya and Revell both make transparent red paint. Paint both the inside and outside of the lens with it for a little extra depth, white for the backup lights, and then paint the back of the red area with aluminum for a reflective quality.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

Tamiya and Revell both make transparent red paint. Paint both the inside and outside of the lens with it for a little extra depth, white for the backup lights, and then paint the back of the red area with aluminum for a reflective quality.

Charlie Larkin

Close up picture of 71 Mustang taillight assembly.

IMG_8770.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Motor City said:

As mentioned in the article, seeing out of the back of the sportsroof required a lot of hope (that no vehicle was in the blind spots).  

Definitely. I've piloted a couple of those 1971-1973 Sportroof Mustangs, and both times I was nervous. The worst of which was a '72 Mach1 -- drove it from one of CA 91 to the other (+/- 85 miles). While it ran well (351-C two barrel) and tracked nicely, I worried L.A.M.F. when it came to lane changes.

Made the backlight of my '73 Duster look like a bay window !

On 5/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, vamach1 said:

This view of the DM 1/24 diecast shows how the ram air system should look although the DM actuators look a little on the tall side but it’s all there including the vacuum lines to each one and the suction is fed from the line going to the intake manifold.  Don’t tell anyone but I have some sets of all the plenum parts cast in resin and I’ll be test fitting those on the Revell hood as soon as I get the kit in my hands in a month or two.

IMG_8768.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg

Missing Link resin use to make these under hood ram air intakes ,I know I have one .

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

Missing Link resin use to make these under hood ram air intakes ,I know I have one .

You are correct.  I sent them “original” parts and they made copies for me and they sold some at shows.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

What is the hold up on this kit ,I'm losing interest in it ,Revell is way to slow getting it to market .

Well...it is 05:00 in the morning...maybe after they've had some coffee. (joking)

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 1