Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

On 8/30/2023 at 9:53 AM, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for the info . Not sure what prompted me to consider that; the part number.  Perhaps the routing (shape) was modified ? 

From what I'm able to recall from my years of working in the parts dept. of the local Ford dealership, the part numbers' alpha-numeric sequence (e.g. the first two characters for decade/year) is the only portion which hath stuck with me.
That changed in the late 1990's (after the "F-"  prefix, which was dropped after 1998 (though Motorcraft labeled some of the parts as "F9-"), after changing - gradually - from 1997-onward ("W-" = 1997, "X-" = 1998, "Y-" = 1999, and "Z-" = 2000).

Oldest part numbers' prefixes I can remember seeing (regular stock, not NOS) ? 
A7- 
B2-
I'm not sure how 1930's and earlier numbers were assigned.

1940s & prior used the model designation. For instance Model A's used A for passenger cars & light trucks or AA if heavy truck, 1932 used B or BB for 4 cylinder, 18- was for the V8 cars.  This went on until the new numbering system in 1952 B- 50s, C-60s, the system you're familiar with. I used to deal pretty heavily in pre 1960s NOS Ford parts as a side hustle. The ones that really throw you off are the Lincoln & Mercury stuff from the 40s, & it was not uncommon to find NOS Ford tractor parts mixed in lots when I'd buy out dealership inventory.

Fun fact- the basic part number for an intake manifold is 9425. Ford hasn't changed that number since 1928! Im sure there's other instances but it's late & I can't recall.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Fun fact- the basic part number for an intake manifold is 9425. Ford hasn't changed that number since 1928! Im sure there's other instances but it's late & I can't recall.

Thanks much for your info and for sharing your expertise. Makes sense that the earlier P.N.'s would have the model's alpha-designation as the prefix ; and, yes, L-M (not sure  if Edsel shared Ford or L-M part numbers) had unique suffixes (at least the c.1998 & earlier designations). 

Interesting that the intake manifolds' number was "---- 9425 ----" ; IIRC, the upgraded/superseded 4.6 Triton intake part number was F8AZ - 9425 - [ _____ ] , which was previously F2AZ . I remember being stunned when I saw an invoice for the City of Los Angeles : ATTN : [ whatever the city garage's address was near the Twin Towers / Men's Central Prison ], which was calling for 10 ( TEN ! ) intake manifolds . I was oblivious to the faults of the earlier 4.6 intake's propensity of cracking/popping the coolant crossover ; I do remember the "F8AZ" prefix. 

Thanks again !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for your info and for sharing your expertise. Makes sense that the earlier P.N.'s would have the model's alpha-designation as the prefix ; and, yes, L-M (not sure  if Edsel shared Ford or L-M part numbers) had unique suffixes (at least the c.1998 & earlier designations). 

Interesting that the intake manifolds' number was "---- 9425 ----" ; IIRC, the upgraded/superseded 4.6 Triton intake part number was F8AZ - 9425 - [ _____ ] , which was previously F2AZ . I remember being stunned when I saw an invoice for the City of Los Angeles : ATTN : [ whatever the city garage's address was near the Twin Towers / Men's Central Prison ], which was calling for 10 ( TEN ! ) intake manifolds . I was oblivious to the faults of the earlier 4.6 intake's propensity of cracking/popping the coolant crossover ; I do remember the "F8AZ" prefix. 

Thanks again !

No worries, glad it helped! I used to hit every hole in the wall dealer in ever hole in the wall town I ran across in my travels back in the 90s when I was in the hevy truck export business. Sometimes I'd strike out- but digging out NOS parts from the 1930s-50s in the rafters & storage bins sure made up for it. A lot of oddball stuff(low volume) as you'd imagine, but ran across some real goodies too. I was able to get every piece of stainless, emblems, even a grill for the '62 Galaxie 390/375Hp Convert I was restoring at the time. The internet came along and educated everyone about everything.

Back on topic, I'm not a Mustang guy, but I just might have to get one of these kits. It looks to be a real gem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received Issue #221 and read Larrys’ excellent review.  It covers all of the observations many have made during their builds of this in outstanding kit that sets a new bar of what new model kits should be.  One thing I noticed is the Revell instruction sheet does not name the parts (but what kit does) so if anyone cares part #95 is a Voltage regulator and starter Solenoid, #96 is a rev limiter, and #92 is a fuel evaporate canister filed with carbon which on these year Mustangs had a corrugated black paper hose going from the air cleaner to the canister, and a rubber hose from the canister to a metal pipe which via a metal line routes all the way back to a fuel evaporative control valve on top of the gas tank to capture and route the vapors pulled from the vacuum from the engine upon startup.  There is a vented cap as you can see in the picture which is represented on the part Revell has molded.

IMG_9920.jpeg

I was at a Mustang show and the American Muscle car museum on Saturday so I had the opportunity to take some pictures of three Boss 351s.  In person the hood paint looked very glossy which I suppose would defeat the purpose of it being a flat color to reduce glare.  So if you are building the kit I would go with the black or silver color that matches the Revell decals or else it will be noticeable.

IMG_9757.jpeg

IMG_9755.jpeg

IMG_9747.jpeg

IMG_9652.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I received Issue #221 and read Larrys’ excellent review.  It covers all of the observations many have made during their builds of this in outstanding kit that sets a new bar of what new model kits should be.  One thing I noticed is the Revell instruction sheet does not name the parts (but what kit does) so if anyone cares part #95 is a Voltage regulator and starter Solenoid, #96 is a rev limiter, and #92 is a fuel evaporate canister filed with carbon which on these year Mustangs had a corrugated black paper hose going from the air cleaner to the canister, and a rubber hose from the canister to a metal pipe which via a metal line routes all the way back to a fuel evaporative control valve on top of the gas tank to capture and route the vapors pulled from the vacuum from the engine upon startup.  There is a vented cap as you can see in the picture which is represented on the part Revell has molded.

IMG_9920.jpeg

Rex...my research on parts 95 and 96 aligns with yours.  There was no "cool can" in my kit, but I did not know what that component was (#92) that went low in the passenger side engine compartment (as pictured above), now I do know.  Thanks!  

Also, FWIW, Larry in his review listed Candyapple Red as a factory color for 1971 Bosses.  None of my references (and I have several on this topic) listed Candyapple Red for any '71 Mustangs. Code 3 Bright Red was the only RPO (regular production order) red on 1971 Mustangs.   Based on a quick read, all his other 1971 Boss color listings match my info.  

However, there are a number of documented special paint PTO (paint tire order) 1971  Bosses including some painted 1970 Code 1 Calypso Coral, plus several 1972 Mustang colors were pulled ahead at mid-year to 1971 Mustangs (and possibly some of those were Boss 351s).   I had prepared a photo/caption on this subject for the Boss 351 kit review that I did for another website but they did not use it.  I'll try to dig it out and repost it here...

Best....TB 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Rex...my research on parts 95 and 96 aligns with yours.  There was no "cool can" in my kit, but I did not know what that component was (#92) that went low in the passenger side engine compartment (as pictured above), now I do know.  Thanks!  

Also, FWIW, Larry in his review listed Candyapple Red as a factory color for 1971 Bosses.  None of my references (and I have several on this topic) listed Candyapple Red for any '71 Mustangs. Code 3 Bright Red was the only RPO (regular production order) red on 1971 Mustangs.   Based on a quick read, all his other 1971 Boss color listings match my info.  

However, there are a number of documented special paint PTO (paint tire order) 1971  Bosses including some painted 1970 Code 1 Calypso Coral, plus several 1972 Mustang colors were pulled ahead at mid-year to 1971 Mustangs (and possibly some of those were Boss 351s).   I had prepared a photo/caption on this subject for the Boss 351 kit review that I did for another website but they did not use it.  I'll try to dig it out and repost it here...

Best....TB 

I glossed over (pun intended) the paint references and as you mentioned there were some limited special order colors but yes the bright red would have been the color offered in 1971 on the Boss with the “Candy Apple” Red Code T paint being  offered on other 1971 Ford and Mercury cars and trucks.  The code T was used from 1966 to 1990 but was not always called Candy Apple red and perhaps the name was created  to equate it to the color of a candied apple which would sound much cooler than just Red.

IMG_9925.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

7 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I glossed over (pun intended) the paint references and as you mentioned there were some limited special order colors but yes the bright red would have been the color offered in 1971 on the Boss with the “Candy Apple” Red Code T paint being  offered on other 1971 Ford and Mercury cars and trucks.  The code T was used from 1966 to 1990 but was not always called Candy Apple red and perhaps the name was created  to equate it to the color of a candied apple which would sound much cooler than just Red.

IMG_9925.jpeg

Just so we are clear, the color chart image in Rex's post above is the same image that I photographed for my kit review on another website....  :)   TB 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 9:08 PM, randyc said:

My blue interior.  Not perfect but works for me.  I screwed up the back part.  I'll get the other completion pics soon.

ya gotta love that shifter decal.  PXL_20230822_195315952_MP.thumb.jpg.0fa82d0661eef3c6c4f29954abd029ec.jpg

PXL_20230822_195407415.jpg

PXL_20230822_195346245.jpg

PXL_20230822_195327011.MP.jpg

PXL_20230822_195350256.MP.jpg

Great detailing!  Why did Revell make the turn signal lever so thick and toy-like?  If this kit is the holy grail ‘71-‘73 Mustang kit and puts the previous MPC/AMT Mustang kits to shame, why is the turn signal lever so unrealistic?

IMG_1448.jpeg

1 hour ago, mikos said:

Great detailing!  Why did Revell make the turn signal lever so thick and toy-like?  If this kit is the holy grail ‘71-‘73 Mustang kit and puts the previous MPC/AMT Mustang kits to shame, why is the turn signal lever so unrealistic?

IMG_1448.jpeg

The picture in your post for a automatic transmission shifter.  The model replicates a manual transmission shifter which looks much different than the automatic shifter.....TB 

3 hours ago, mikos said:

IMG_1448.jpeg

I’’ll agree with you with regard to the thickness of the turn-signal lever.  I’ll assume it was a compromise to take into account the fragility of the part if it was to exact scale.  Not sure if I have seen an other kit with a turn signal lever and it’s one part that would probably be better suited to a metal part which of course is not typical for an all plastic kit.  The full scale part seems to be about the diameter of a pencil and has a tapered end as seen in this picture.  It would be a challenge to thin the kit part to a more scale realistic size as it is molded to the steering column without it breaking off.

IMG_0001.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

30 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I’’ll agree with you with regard to the thickness of the turn-signal lever.  I’ll assume it was a compromise to take into account the fragility of the part if it was to exact scale.  Not sure if I have seen an other kit with a turn signal lever and it’s one part that would probably be better suited to a metal part which of course is not typical for an all plastic kit.  The full scale part seems to be about the diameter of a pencil and has a tapered end as seen in this picture.  It would be a challenge to thin the kit part to a more scale realistic size as it is molded to the steering column without it breaking off.

IMG_0001.jpeg

A quick check of a PDF of the most recent reissue of the AMT/MPC '71 Mustang shows that they didn't even bother with representing the turn signal stalk in the kit. So there's your choice. Slightly thick or completely absent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

IMG_0001.jpeg

The actual turn signal lever shaft is about 1/4" thick, a little smaller than a pencil.  A straight pin, with a scratchbuilt tip, would probably serve well as a scale turn signal lever.

14 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

A quick check of a PDF of the most recent reissue of the AMT/MPC '71 Mustang shows that they didn't even bother with representing the turn signal stalk in the kit. So there's your choice. Slightly thick or completely absent.

With the way they “represented” the turn signal stalk on the new Revell Mustang kit, it probably would’ve been better if they just left it absent like the AMT/MPC version.  Here’s one from a 60 year old AMT ‘63 T-bird promo.  

IMG_1453.jpeg

Edited by mikos

Lots of great info in this thread!  I am going to be converting the BOSS 351 kit to a Mach 1!  If they ever do come out with a re-tooled Mach 1 kit, I hope they include a chrome bumper option because a lot of Mach 1 resto's got converted over to chrome bumpers instead of the hard to find plastic bumper.  Also, a nice 302 engine option would be a welcomed addition!  I bought a couple 302's from eBay that came from a 32 Coupe 3 window kit!  The hardest part of my conversion will be finding the Mach 1 hood pin stripe decal!

27 minutes ago, RocketFoot said:

Lots of great info in this thread!  I am going to be converting the BOSS 351 kit to a Mach 1!  If they ever do come out with a re-tooled Mach 1 kit, I hope they include a chrome bumper option because a lot of Mach 1 resto's got converted over to chrome bumpers instead of the hard to find plastic bumper.  Also, a nice 302 engine option would be a welcomed addition!  I bought a couple 302's from eBay that came from a 32 Coupe 3 window kit!  The hardest part of my conversion will be finding the Mach 1 hood pin stripe decal!

The Revell Mach 1 kit that is coming looks like it has the plastic bumper.. no idea if it has any extra parts, though.

05664_geschenkset_james_bond_ford_mustang_i_022.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Revell Mach 1 kit that is coming looks like it has the plastic bumper.. no idea if it has any extra parts, though.

05664_geschenkset_james_bond_ford_mustang_i_022.jpg

That’s a good question - whether the Mach1 kit will have the chrome bumper as an “extra part” from the Boss 351 parts tree.  If you do not end up using any of the engine parts from either kit I would gladly trade you for them for whatever parts I have that you may need.  Keith Marks, AMT. Fred Cady and Rays Kits have all made the hood decals for the 71-73 Mach1s.  The Revell 007 version was not a “ram air” car based on the one used in the movie so it did not have the blacked out hood but I hope they include the hood decals anyway.

Edited by vamach1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

That’s a good question - whether the Mach1 kit will have the chrome bumper as an “extra part” from the Boss 351 parts tree.  If you do not end up using any of the engine parts from either kit I would gladly trade you for them for whatever parts I have that you may need.  Keith Marks, AMT. Fred Cady and Rays Kits have all made the hood decals for the 71-73 Mach1s.  The Revell 007 version was not a “ram air” car based on hte one used in the movie so it did not have the blacked out hood but I hope they include the hood decals anyway.

Sure, I don't think I will have any use for the AMT or Revell engine parts.  I'll PM you once I figure out what I have/need after the other parts arrive!

• Like 1

Here's the info I promised earlier on the additional mid-year colors that became available in 1971 1/2 on Mustangs in general....

Four 1972 Ford colors are thought to have been pulled ahead to the 1971 Mustang at mid-year:  Bright Lime (Code 4E), Light Yellow Gold/aka “Gold” (Codes 0 & 6B),  Medium Bright Yellow (Codes 2 & 6E) and Gold Glow/aka Gold Glamour Metallic (Code 6F).  But except for a few Boss 351s built with Gold Glow paint and three Boss 351s reportedly built with specially-ordered 1970 Calypso Coral (Code 1) paint, it is unknown whether any Boss 351s were built with the other three mid-year colors.   Any Boss 351s with special (non-regular production) paints had the painted racing mirrors deleted, and replaced with the standard, non-racing mirror(s).  

For your reference, shown below are bodies painted (L-R) with the above referenced Bright Lime, Medium Bright Yellow, and Calypso Coral colors (though not always on '71/'72 Mustang bodies, obviously...  

BTW, I built Revell’s kit with Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red over gray primer, a very close match to regular production 1971 Code 3 Bright Red.

For those that care about this level of detail (no doubt some would say "needless trivia", instead), recommend you print out this and Rex's earlier post showing the color chip images and file them with Larry Greenberg's review of this kit in the new Model Cars Mag #221.  And note that Candy Apple Red was not an available Mustang color that year, at least based on sources that I have learned to trust over the years....TB 

DSC_0682.thumb.JPG.38bb20d4c473e65e3946d4a468154d02.JPG

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1