Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer: WIP

David G.

22 hours ago, espo said:

I like your idea of being able to display your model with or without the continental kit. Maybe some added mounting pins that align with the original Bumper / Body  setup would give you a better support for the weight of the kit and allow you to line it up the way you want. That way using the same body mounting point you could easily switch between the two display options. 

Thanks David, that's a great idea. I may use that depending on how my current efforts play out.

David G.

• 1 month later...

Hello All!

It's time for another update... obviously. 

As my recovery progresses, I find that I'm able to spend a little more time building than I could a couple of months ago. So here are the results of my recent efforts.

I was able to get the foil work completed as well as some detail painting.

The more this build progresses, the more I find myself liking the way it looks.

58_Edsel_52.jpg.f199084337045995369cecdb64a9e202.jpg

What was that slogan? "The thrill starts with the grille... and never seems to end" 

Yeah, well..

58_Edsel_54.jpg.822e866228f8c4240ef3ed95fa62b0c0.jpg

Pink and black and chrome! You can't get much more 1958 than that!

58_Edsel_53.jpg.0820462b79c018c7af150b0f024a1c68.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

18 hours ago, randyc said:

That really is looking great.  Glad you're healing.

Thanks Randy, I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made on both fronts.

18 hours ago, espo said:

Glad to see you're back to work on your Edsel. The foil looks good , keep us updated when ever you can.  

Thank you David, I appreciate your comment. Actually, I never quit working on this one but there were many times when I couldn't do as much as I would have liked. I did place on myself a firm commitment of at least thirty minutes every week as a part of my self-imposed therapy. The good news is that in the past couple of weeks I've been able to make more progress than in the previous couple of months, so I should have this one finished fairly soon.

5 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Ditto, keep healing and keep modeling! This Edsel is SHARP!

Thanks for your comment Rusty, I'm glad to see that you're still following me on this one.

Hopefully I'll have another update soon!

Best Regards,

David G.

In the directions, it looks as if you are to put the radiator support in place, install the upper and lower radiator hoses, then lower the body on the chassis. I initially built mine this way but when I went to lower the body on to the chassis, I discovered that the flare at the top of the radiator support wall was too wide to allow it to slip into the engine bay. I ended up removing it and replacing it after I secured the body to the rest of the chassis.

Not only did this necessitate the removal and replacement of both radiator and the hoses (the lower of which I may end up leaving off) but now the hood contacts the radiator support and is about 1/2 mm from closing flush. 😕

I may have misinterpreted the directions but I thought I'd share the information just in case.

58_Edsel_55.jpg.ab9850846f77118d2ad902e807a0d6cf.jpg

Looking at the assembly from this angle, I can see no way that the radiator support can be installed in any other way than from above.

58_Edsel_56.jpg.8acbcc07cf6dd00f4789f6914302e999.jpg

Because I couldn't get the radiator support to settle in quite properly, it sits a little high and lifts the hood by about 1mm.

58_Edsel_58.jpg.34ebf630060f21412fd6479689f39e72.jpg

It looks like I should be able to file down the top of the support a sufficient amount to allow the hood to settle in properly.

58_Edsel_57.jpg.e29c69b4b3b080688d9069737b141634.jpg

I guess if model builders don't have any problems to solve, we can always create our own. :D

Pressing on,

David G.

Yes because of the shape of the radiator support it must be installed from the top, maybe your problem is that the locator pins at the bottom of the support hasn't gone into the holes in the frame rail they are supposed to go into, if you tweek it a bit so they will go or cut them off the support may go down a bit further.

16 hours ago, Force said:

Yes because of the shape of the radiator support it must be installed from the top, maybe your problem is that the locator pins at the bottom of the support hasn't gone into the holes in the frame rail they are supposed to go into, if you tweek it a bit so they will go or cut them off the support may go down a bit further.

Thanks Håkan. I do get that now but the directions seem to indicate otherwise. Or at least they did to me at the time I assembled that bit. I did consider removing and reinstalling it as you suggest but I feel I have it in there as well as I can get it. I'm also concerned that that may cause more damage than just filing about 1mm off the top of the radiator support. I feel that I have more control over that option.

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

This one is really fighting you, isn't it?! Looks like you're winning though. Keep pushing, she's looking great,👍

I think that this is more a story of me fighting against myself Gareth. Nearly all of the difficulties I've encountered with this build are of my own doing. I think the Rustoleum problem is 50/50 as I should have known better through previous experience. ;) 

It's like I say: "Model builders, we're problem solvers who create our own problems to solve!"

I'm also glad to know that you like it. I do feel that the results are worth the effort I've been putting in and it's great to have that confirmed, thank you.

David G. 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, Force said:

Hello again Håkan. I found some time to do a little work on this yesterday and I ended up taking your advice to remove the support. It came loose much easier than I though it would and I was able to adjust the clearance issues from the bottom and reinstall it with little difficulty.

Thanks for that.

I'll see if I can post a pic later today.

18 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I'm liking the color choice here. This would have looked right at home in the parking lot at my Junior prom in '59!

Thanks Tom. In person it's quite striking, I hope my photos can do it justice.

David G.

OK after following some good advice (thank you Håkan) I was able to get the hood seated properly by taking a little off the bottom of the radiator support assembly.

58_Edsel_59.jpg.cc81bb7732ff95b23572ca21b4a11c8b.jpg

I even got that nasty CA accelerant stain cleaned up!

58_Edsel_60.jpg.633dec21656b1e83c24a999d23b1b8bf.jpg

Now to install a few more fiddly bits, then a final polish and I should be done.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, advice and kind comments.

David G.

15 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Thanks for the building tips.

How did you do the outer chrome ring on the grille? That is one part I really wish they moulded separately.

Charlie Larkin

You're welcome Charlie.

For the outer chrome trim I used Bare Metal Foil. Starting with the portion on the hood, I cut a strip of BMF about 3mm wide and maybe 3.5cm long. I placed this strip along the faintly molded edge line at the front of the hood as best I could to minimize having to trim along the painted surface. For the little bit I did have to trim, I used a single-edged razor blade which I pressed lightly along the mold line instead of dragging it to follow the line.

Make appropriate relief cuts in the corners to allow you to fold the excess material around the front and underneath the hood, then trim the inside portions to a straight line as best you can. With a strip about 3mm wide, I don't think I had much trimming to do.

The two side pieces I cut a little wider (maybe 4 or 5mm?) and when placing them, again, I focused mainly on aligning the foil edge with the outer mold line as the inner one is defined by the center grille. I didn't worry that much about following the curve at the bottom. I just more or less allowed the foil to follow its own course and taper away from the mold line as it would.

The bottom curve I completed using two more sections which I cut maybe a little more than 1cm sq. Those pieces were short enough that I was able to work them into the curves without too much difficulty. I do seem to remember that  it took me a couple of attempts to coax the foil into bending and stretching enough to follow. 

Doing all that took me an entire build session of about an hour.

Thanks for your comment and question, I hope you found this helpful.

David G.

18 hours ago, randyc said:

Looks great!  My same comment everytime?  But still applies.

Thanks Randy, glad you still like it.

9 hours ago, Tom Kren said:

nice clean build there!!

Thanks Tom.

Got this one finished up yesterday, I plan to get some pics today to post in the Under Glass section.

David G.

This one has been an adventure to follow, but much to learn from each other in threads like this. All success means nothing new learned! This made a very attractive display piece, but honestly, I would have been happy to have the chassis and interior assembly displayed as a cut-away, stand alone model. That interior is just beautiful on it's own, and I may copy the color scheme to drop into a silver body. Congrats on whipping this into shape!

7 hours ago, bisc63 said:

This one has been an adventure to follow, but much to learn from each other in threads like this. All success means nothing new learned! This made a very attractive display piece, but honestly, I would have been happy to have the chassis and interior assembly displayed as a cut-away, stand alone model. That interior is just beautiful on it's own, and I may copy the color scheme to drop into a silver body. Congrats on whipping this into shape!

Thank you so much fort hose kind words Rusty. I think I've spent more that half my time working on this one in getting the paintwork done on the body. It was worth it though.

Thanks again,

David G.

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1958 Edsel Pacer: WIP