Model Cars Magazine Forum

History Channel, help request

Mike Williams

So, I've been wondering now for a while, what's the deal with Oak Island?  What kind of BS is this anyway?

I watch "Forged in Fire", instead of the evening news.  I don't watch MSM anymore.

Big Tuna too, until I found out the show is a total fraud.

I'm in Germany, and these shows are amusing and sometimes entertaining, better than the fake news showing at the same time.  I'm not even sure if "Oak Island" is the original name for the show.

Does anyone watch this stuff?

The Curse of Oak Island. The first season was just okay. But nothing ever happens. They're on like season 6 or something, and are getting nowhere.

The story of Oak Island is quite interesting though, and I think there is something there. But the bozos on that show aren't going to find it!

Nothing will ever happen except that they'll always come thisclose, only to end up with ungatz at the end of each episode. This is a common string-the-viewer-along gimmick used by similar shows, such as the ones about Sasquatches, Aliens and Nazi Gold to keep you coming back for more. ?

10 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

They'll have to find something to break even, they've spent millions.

I've often wondered, how would you monetize whatever's down there?  For example, suppose they find the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant. Both literally priceless, but how you gonna sell 'em--who you gonna sell 'em to? :wacko:

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Gates Bezos Zuckerberg foundation?

The Lagina brothers are (IMHO, of course) too emotionally attached to whatever is down there (and its rich history) to want to sell it for "mere money."  They'd want to enshrine it in a museum on the island, most likely. Maybe a deal could be worked out for Gates/Bezos/Zuckerberg for that to happen--G/B/Z would "own" it but it would stay right there.  

IMHO, the Lagina brothers are mainly interested in becoming known as the guys who finally solved the big mystery after over 200 years. (If you ever play poker with them, never bluff. They're the type who will happily pay to see EVERY card to satisfy their curiosity. B) )

13 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Nothing will ever happen except that they'll always come thisclose, only to end up with ungatz at the end of each episode. This is a common string-the-viewer-along gimmick used by similar shows, such as the ones about Sasquatches, Aliens and Nazi Gold to keep you coming back for more. ?

I think your right Joe, I watched it for a while and it was just boring.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, slusher said:

I think your right Joe, I watched it for a while and it was just boring.

Exactly, being a huge waste of time.  Being a Florida boy, I used to like the Tuna show....but it's a fake show.

Oh boy...OK, I live in Germany.  I keep hearing on TV that the Germ....no, better not.  The statement might be viewed as being political.

Just, the Nazi Gold show, and there are a lot of these types on TV here, might get big ratings.  Sometimes I feel that History is for sure international.  Never seen anything about Sumo wrestlers here on TV.  Well, American Pickers, or whatever the name, is sometimes fun.  Nazi Gold though, is a hit. In Poland maybe?  Man, they have whole trains hidden underground full of gold....the Alps too.  Truly a popular theme here.

All the above though, is better than watching the evening news, between 7 and 8 evenings.  Pee-uke.

1 hour ago, Mike Williams said:

Exactly, being a huge waste of time.  Being a Florida boy, I used to like the Tuna show....but it's a fake show.

Oh boy...OK, I live in Germany.  I keep hearing on TV that the Germ....no, better not.  The statement might be viewed as being political.

Just, the Nazi Gold show, and there are a lot of these types on TV here, might get big ratings.  Sometimes I feel that History is for sure international.  Never seen anything about Sumo wrestlers here on TV.  Well, American Pickers, or whatever the name, is sometimes fun.  Nazi Gold though, is a hit. In Poland maybe?  Man, they have whole trains hidden underground full of gold....the Alps too.  Truly a popular theme here.

All the above though, is better than watching the evening news, between 7 and 8 evenings.  Pee-uke.

History has done two seasons of a show trying to find Japanese gold in the Philippines, and two seasons of one trying to find Confederate gold in one of the Great Lakes. I can't recall any History show on Nazi gold, but there have been at least two episodes of Expedition Unknown on Discovery Channel about looking for Nazi Gold. 

@Snake45, over here...anything NAZI gets views and ratings.  The stuff is always on one channel or the other.  Not to mean a positive aspect, just showing real film footage and facts.  Never have I realized any glorification!  Just an attempt to set the record straight, from my point of view.

But Nazi Gold is in Poland, the Alps, sunk in some Alpine lake, and in former Communist East Germany.  Yep, go figure. 

I think Ike and the boys got all of it.

Mike..

3 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

I think Ike and the boys got all of it.

Mike..

On one of the Japanese gold shows, the theory was floated that MacArthur/Truman/Eisenhower actually got most if not all of that back in the '40s-'50s and used it to fund "black" CIA operations. Could be. :unsure:

My only question is, whatever happened to shows about actual "history" on the History channel.

These stupid, so called "reality" shows have little to do with reality, and zero to do with history in almost every case.

Almost every network on television is taking advantage of the fact that they can produce these idiotic reality shows for next to nothing when compared to the cost of producing programing that actual requires some innovation and thought, and every dunce on the planet will tune in to watch other dunces dysfunctional lives.

It's the return of the brainless daytime talk show, like the Jerry Springer and Jenny Jones shows.

Snack food for the vacuous mind.

Steve

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My only question is, whatever happened to shows about actual "history" on the History channel.

There's actually a good bit of history on Pawn Stars and American Pickers if you're paying attention. 

I'd ask why is the Travel Channel now all about haunted houses and Bigfoot? 

Animal Planet seems to have an awful lot of non-animal content, too. 

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There's actually a good bit of history on Pawn Stars and American Pickers if you're paying attention. 

"History" is just the network name and doesn't accurately describe the content any longer. History Channel wasn't originally conceived to broadcast low info junk like those programs. These types of programs are right at home sandwiched in between Jerry Springer and Maury Povich on the TV listings to go along with the 4506 court and trash talk shows polluting the airwaves and cable channels. Unfortunately, this is the state of our society and culture today.

Edited by SfanGoch

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

"History" is just the network name and doesn't accurately describe the content any longer. History Channel wasn't originally conceived to broadcast low info junk like those programs. These types of programs are right at home sandwiched in between Jerry Springer and Maury Povich on the TV listings to go along with the 4506 court and trash talk shows polluting the airwaves and cable channels. Unfortunately, this is the state of our society and culture today.

Disagree. The JS and MP audiences would be bored silly by anything on History Channel. And vice versa. 

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

As said none of the channels titles reflect their content. I got rid of paid tv over 4 years ago. Its not a surprise how all the rubes are happy to pay big bucks for all the drivel just look at the current state of the world and its not all that surprising,

I've been re-watching the last three seasons of Street Outlaws, and Memphis Street Outlaws from the beginning. I find it interesting that the two groups could hardly be more different. The 405 show could be called Real Housewives of Street Racing, while the Memphis show could be used as a class in good sportsmanship and team-building. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd ask why is the Travel Channel now all about haunted houses and Bigfoot? 

Animal Planet seems to have an awful lot of non-animal content, too. 

I agree with you that the majority of these cable channel's programming no longer reflects their names, and I suppose if you can get past the fact that a show like Pawn Stars is wholly contrived and spends large portions of the show analyzing the lives and minds of the morons that work there, you could say that there is some history tucked in there somewhere.

Even the food channels have pretty much abandoned actual cooking shows in favor of "contest" programs one after the other.

Why?  because they're cheap to produce and apparently somebody is watching them.

Steve 

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Exactly my point Joe.

Nearly every television network has abandoned any thought of producing any programming of substance in favor of this sort of "fast food" debris that's plastered all over the airwaves now.

I'm reminded of some lyrics from A Pink Floyd song.

"I got 13 channels of sh^t on the t.v. to choose from."

We've obviously made great advancements since the 1980s.

Now we have over 600 channels of sh*t to choose from! <_<

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller