Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

• 4 months later...

My store has nothing on clearance, but run the 40% off kit sale often enough. Yeah, they could use some fresh stock. Other items like CA glue, some Evergreen stock, K&S metals they have good pickings. Plus the paint is not locked up. 

• Like 2

The reason HL buys at a good price is that they buy large quantities.  To sell off the large quantities, the same items keep appearing on the shelves until they are sold out.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mark said:

The reason HL buys at a good price is that they buy large quantities.  To sell off the large quantities, the same items keep appearing on the shelves until they are sold out.

They follow a proven formula. I have seen some new things however. I noticed they use the old SKU (stock keeping unit) system, no barcode readers, aka the UPC (universal product code) system.

They don't use the barcode readers because they carry a lot of items in all departments that are made by outside companies specifically for them, and only appear in their stores.  To inventory those with barcodes, they'd have to set one up for each item, meaning they'd have to buy a barcode for each one.  It's not because the barcode system has "666" in it, or anything like that which the haters often throw around.

On the flip side, their stating that they want the cashiers to be more familiar with individual items doesn't quite ring true either.  They just don't want to be beholden to the bar codes so they instituted their own system.  As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

23 hours ago, Mark said:

They don't use the barcode readers because they carry a lot of items in all departments that are made by outside companies specifically for them, and only appear in their stores.  To inventory those with barcodes, they'd have to set one up for each item, meaning they'd have to buy a barcode for each one.  It's not because the barcode system has "666" in it, or anything like that which the haters often throw around.

On the flip side, their stating that they want the cashiers to be more familiar with individual items doesn't quite ring true either.  They just don't want to be beholden to the bar codes so they instituted their own system.  As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I was talking to my sister last night, she's a pricer for a big box store and I asked why they don't use bar codes. She says that HL does that for religious reasons. I recall a while ago that their health plans do not cover birth control. They also are closed on Sundays.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the three Hobby Lobbys in my area today. The first one was marking down the kits while I  was standing there.  The enclosed pic. The second one was already cleaned out but I did see an open shelf labeled amt 60 Ford pickup with trailer. The third one has yet to clearance but hope to catch it. I also hope they get the 63 Ford pickup as well as the Warlock. 20240323_005220.thumb.jpg.aa7cf28e86500e96e734e68c34293adb.jpg

• Like 3

Went to HL today after the Model Club meeting.

Nothing Marked Down.

Asked a clerk stocking nearby. Has not heard of any mark downs or discounts.

Stock was the Same ole, same ole, I wish they'd stock the MPC Bronco, and the AMT '65 El Camino Camper....

2 weeks ago I picked up 2 '64 Cutlass kits and a Revell 66 Shelby on clearance. I stopped this week to see if there was any new inventory and the Revell Shelby was restocked at normal price! I was so confused I came home with a '78 Dodge truck! 

Edited by Sledsel

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has had a good restock since I last visited - I managed to leave without bringing anything with me (which is even more remarkable as my wife wasn’t there to curb my enthusiasm)…nothing on clearance, sadly…

IMG_0075.thumb.jpeg.47ff885b99c3edeed91ed513e719b300.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Mine has had a good restock since I last visited - I managed to leave without bringing anything with me (which is even more remarkable as my wife wasn’t there to curb my enthusiasm)…nothing on clearance, sadly…

IMG_0075.thumb.jpeg.47ff885b99c3edeed91ed513e719b300.jpeg

It must have been a long time since you last visited. those are the same kits that they've had for the last 2 or 3 years.

I'll call it a good restock when they get something new.

• Like 3

They have the same old same old by me. I already have anything that interested me. I pick up some primer and K&S stock, they have some Evergreen plastics too. Their CA glue is quite good.

• Like 2

I went to my local Hobby Lobby for the first time in several months. I was shocked at the small space given to the models. Nothing new, just less of the same old models.

There were very little model spray paints on a small shelf. I wonder if Hobby Lobby is going to do away with them. 

Swung by the other day because I was looking for a particular bottle of paint. Same bunch of models from the last couple of years in a small space. No 40% off sign even though it was "the week" and I left without finding the paint I wanted.

I had a nice walk all the way to the back corner of the store. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by my local HL the other day. Same typical inventory they've had for months.

The one development was an empty space with a tag for the AMT 1960 Ford F100 with Trailer.  So those should be showing up, eventually.  I'm suspecting they will be getting snatched up pretty quickly as they're stocked, so I'm expecting it might take me a couple months to snag one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Stopped by my local HL the other day. Same typical inventory they've had for months.

The one development was an empty space with a tag for the AMT 1960 Ford F100 with Trailer.  So those should be showing up, eventually.  I'm suspecting they will be getting snatched up pretty quickly as they're stocked, so I'm expecting it might take me a couple months to snag one.

Mine also has a spot with a tag for the 71 Demon, besides the Ford pickup.

• Like 1