Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Went to my local store a week and a half ago, picked up some items that i needed, looked at the DESERTER MPC pick up with a price of $29.99 thought i would go back and get it this week.... BUT WAIT what's this, it's NOW 39.99 yes an increase of TEN whole dollars!!!!! well if for any reason you want me to buy your kits, they all better have ORANGE stickers on them. Of to my LHS i go.... and please, you sell a book in your store, turn to the page and read the verse that says "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL" and practice what you preach.... that's my two cents and little rant.   Have a great day everyone ......John

On 9/3/2023 at 7:43 AM, AMT4EVR said:

Went to my local store a week and a half ago, picked up some items that i needed, looked at the DESERTER MPC pick up with a price of $29.99 thought i would go back and get it this week.... BUT WAIT what's this, it's NOW 39.99 yes an increase of TEN whole dollars!!!!! well if for any reason you want me to buy your kits, they all better have ORANGE stickers on them. Of to my LHS i go.... and please, you sell a book in your store, turn to the page and read the verse that says "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL" and practice what you preach.... that's my two cents and little rant.   Have a great day everyone ......John

John plastic is tied to the ever changing cost of oil somehow, it's the new economics, none of anything makes sense anymore, sorta like the cost of food....

5 hours ago, thatz4u said:

John plastic is tied to the ever changing cost of oil somehow, it's the new economics, none of anything makes sense anymore, sorta like the cost of food....

petroleum…But I think in the near future online prices is gonna kill a lot of hobby shops. Hobby town may last, but I hardly buy any kits out of there. Prices are better than eBay, but man I can’t see paying $85+ for example a trailer kit I can get online for $50-60 free ship. 

Stopped in the Hobart, IN store.  Haven't been there in quite a while.  Sure enough, models were moved to a different aisle.  Section did seem slightly smaller, but looked well stocked.

Upon closer inspection, I realized they were "filling space" in a lot of the shelving.  Most spaces were empty behind the front box, and many times they were filling in empty spaces with the same kit (four AMT '67 Chevelle filling in otherwise empty spaces).  Not a single new kit since the last time I was there.

No surprise there, this location always seems to lag behind in getting new stock, compared to the pictures people post from other locations.

Got one today as well. I was surprised that it was priced at $31.99 before the 40%. Seeing the price runaway of their Revell kits, I expected to see the Bronco marked at $40.99. Pleasantly surprised to see a kid around 14-15 browsing the car kits. He seemed interested in the AMT '68 Shelby. If he bought it, I hope it doesn't turn him off from building for life....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rodent said:

Got one today as well. I was surprised that it was priced at $31.99 before the 40%. Seeing the price runaway of their Revell kits, I expected to see the Bronco marked at $40.99. Pleasantly surprised to see a kid around 14-15 browsing the car kits. He seemed interested in the AMT '68 Shelby. If he bought it, I hope it doesn't turn him off from building for life....

Other than sparse details I had no problems with mine. It was the third or maybe 4th kit I built after getting back into the hobby, about 93 I think.Took first in my first contest. Was also my first polishing and foil job. Antenna was much straighter back then.

1968_s13.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, Classicgas said:

Other than sparse details I had no problems with mine. It was the third or maybe 4th kit I built after getting back into the hobby, about 93 I think.Took first in my first contest. Was also my first polishing and foil job. Antenna was much straighter back then.

Looks very nice Lee. I in no way meant that this kit is unbuildable, but it could be daunting for a younger builder because it doesn't just fall together like some of the more modern kits. I am just glad he was interested, and it appeared that he was there with maybe a slightly younger brother. Maybe there is hope that all the car builders won't go the way of the Dodo or Passenger Pigeon.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Made a side trip to HL for s*!t$ and giggles. They rearranged their aisles yet the model kit selection looked to be downsized on their stock compared to the last time I stopped by. Wouldn't be surprised it will go the way Micheals did with their model kit section.

I’m going out of town again tomorrow so I’m gonna swing by the local hobby lobby’s. They haven’t cut down their sections, but haven’t had anything new last time I went. I avoid Michaels cause it’s one little 4 foot section with nothing new. Then there’s over priced hobby town, and two super overpriced mom n pop shops. There’s one I usually avoid cause they watch you like you’re going to steal their kits. 

• 1 month later...

I have a HL by me and they have the 40% off thing going pretty often. I buy my primer there, they also have MM lacquer spray cans, some Evergreen and some K&S stock. 

Need plastic storage boxes? They have loads of them for a good price. Also small plastic bags in the bead aisle.

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I have a HL by me and they have the 40% off thing going pretty often. I buy my primer there, they also have MM lacquer spray cans, some Evergreen and some K&S stock. 

Need plastic storage boxes? They have loads of them for a good price. Also small plastic bags in the bead aisle.

Picked up several plastic show boxes yesterday, they had the large size that fits big trucks on sale, but the selections of kits sure got downsized. 

22 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Picked up several plastic show boxes yesterday, they had the large size that fits big trucks on sale, but the selections of kits sure got downsized. 

The one by me they rearranged the model section, looks a tad smaller. Paint and scratch building stuff is about the same. They have a decent amount of glues too.

22 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Which ones were on sale? Have a pic?