Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

On 8/11/2022 at 7:56 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

@Speedpro

I had one of those Ford F-150 kits back in the mid 90’s. Had a green truck on the box top with all the custom body parts and billet wheels. I still remember the Predator carb and air filter set up from it. I held on to that and the Holley valve covers for years but the parts went MIA along the way. 😡 Would love to have another set but no way I’m paying current asking prices for those pick up kits! 😮 

Anyways, excellent choice! I tried to think of an induction set up to suggest for you guys and completely forgot about this. It’s actually kind of a PITA coming up with small block Ford multi-carb set ups. Last Christmas I got one of the MPC now AMT ‘88 Mustang GT’s and I was stoked to find an optional dual 4 barrel induction. 

I was going through my "toss it in there, it'll be super safe" box for resin stuff that seems to always somewhere else when I look for a part and to my surprise came up with one of the rare (?) Autolite/Weber inline four barrel carbs and intake that I picked up from someone I have forgotten about,. I think it would be a perfect oddity intake set up. The thing I was thinking of was putting two together but then it would just look like a normal Weber set up and I still have a set or two from the original ITC(?) Cougar concept car.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 6:28 AM, horsepower said:

I was going through my "toss it in there, it'll be super safe" box for resin stuff that seems to always somewhere else when I look for a part and to my surprise came up with one of the rare (?) Autolite/Weber inline four barrel carbs and intake that I picked up from someone I have forgotten about,. I think it would be a perfect oddity intake set up. The thing I was thinking of was putting two together but then it would just look like a normal Weber set up and I still have a set or two from the original ITC(?) Cougar concept car.

Del...that "Cross Boss" in-line intake/carb setup was an option in the Revell/Monogram 1970 Boss 302 kit...

DSC 0991

used it in my '32 Ford "smoothy" project from Street Rodder Modeler's corner late 1980s and finished project in 2020....

DSC 1061

TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

I have been away with work (again). I have an interesting job where I travel up and down our little country doing steam boiler installations. I do the electrical installation part and often assist with the commissioning of them. We have been working with new technology with electric fueled boilers of two types - resistive heated and higher powered immersed electrode boilers. These along with LPG/Natural Gas/Diesel fueled boilers. 

Anyway this forum is about model cars and trucks 

I got back to the bench and took a wee amount of time coming back up to speed with the build

Below are pix of the chassis before it get all covered up

IMG_8655.JPG

IMG_8657.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Tim - the green pickup is cutting edge stuff with the full length hood and doors. Thanks for sharing the link to your pickup builds. I was on my way to post an update and got way laid drooling instead. LOL

Thanks Bill.  This truck was inpsired by a Thom Taylor illustration that appeared in Street Rodder magazine in the mid 1980s.  My model was not directly a copy of Thom's design, but took some of his thoughts and expanded on them.  The front-end treatment with the extended hood and narrow grille shell was inspired, IIRC, by a model car built by Jim Kampmann or one of the other "NNL Tundra" (as Jim and I called it) modelers up in Minnesota back then. 

Glad you enjoyed checking it out, and very nice to see an update on your own project.  Needless to say, big kudos on this end for your ultra-clean build style!   Best...TIM 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 5:55 AM, tim boyd said:

Del...that "Cross Boss" in-line intake/carb setup was an option in the Revell/Monogram 1970 Boss 302 kit...

DSC 0991

used it in my '32 Ford "smoothy" project from Street Rodder Modeler's corner late 1980s and finished project in 2020....

DSC 1061

TB

I wish they had carried it over into the newest Boss 302 kit. I have some cool ideas for a '60s - '70s dirt track modified. They ran a modified class here that was basically the same as the Super Modifieds but were limited to 302 c.i. flat tappet cam and a single four barrel carb and run gasoline only also the body had to be of steel construction. No Fibreglass allowed..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long live the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! thread.  Here's an update from the sidelines: Model Cars Magazine has expressed an interest in doing an article in their upcoming 2nd edition HOT ROD issue about all of the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! completed builds.  @Dennis Lacyhas been encouraged to post an Under Glass 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! thread. C U there! -KK

953116687_MCM216.jpg.7665696741a6b574de89730d59c5f2ba.jpg

Edited by Kit Karson
Text correction...
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

Model Cars Magazine has expressed an interest in doing an article in their upcoming 2nd edition HOT ROD issue about all of the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

That's kool news, KK! Now's your chance to get your name in lights, y'all!! Anyone else wanna join in the fun? -RRR

• Like 1

This has made get off my chuff and get it done - at last. The job made all that bit harder as we have listed our house and I have to keep the modelling space clear.

Got the last of the little suff done

Small diameter head lights from 32 Ford mounted direct to fenders with out headight bar, mirror from Lil John T on drivers side, AMT 32 Ford donated door handles. I will call it done - issues with Humbrol clear coat not drying fully and that means it is not quite as shiny as I would like.

It has been a good project with lots of good ideas coming from all participants and of course we must not forget the work from Tim Boyd in Street Rodder (and Rod Action) who provided the genesis for the build thread - I feel honoured to be a part of the build

IMG_8734.thumb.JPG.0993b4c999b5f07a3112753f8b7ca2a9.JPG

IMG_8735.thumb.JPG.3885034c55e23aa71e4060f16f4b0569.JPG

IMG_8736.thumb.JPG.2718ca5f7916c20681fbc6c56f05a0ba.JPG

IMG_8738.thumb.JPG.35284fb53dbfeb025b3d42f10c994863.JPG

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 1:19 AM, bill-e-boy said:

Fixed the roof joint - although you cant see the gap here - is there an Under Glass topic been started yet?

Looks awesome! Really cool to see you get it finished.

I will be creating the Under Glass group thread by the end of this week. I will tag everyone who has a finished truck so you guys can add yours to it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, Kit Karson said:

Long live the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! thread.  Here's an update from the sidelines: Model Cars Magazine has expressed an interest in doing an article in their upcoming 2nd edition HOT ROD issue about all of the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! completed builds.  @Dennis Lacyhas been encouraged to post an Under Glass 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! thread. C U there! -KK

953116687_MCM216.jpg.7665696741a6b574de89730d59c5f2ba.jpg

UPDATE! There is still a bit of chatter over at MCM about this thread and the contributors that have participated in this tribute to @tim boyd!  With over 70K views and 700+ comments, this has to be one of the longest running group-build threads here on the forum!  

I want to applaud @Dennis Lacy for starting the 1929-ford-pickup-80s-contemporary-street-rod-a-tim-boyd-tribute thread and the model builders that made this topic such a major success! With the inspiration that @tim boyd has provided over the lifetime of my model building career, and that of so many other model builders as well as 1:1 car guys & gals... this has to be one of the most rewarding modeling efforts that I can recall in the last 4 decades!  Greatly appreciated, Kit Karson aka Wes Hofferber -KK

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

Looks awesome! Really cool to see you get it finished.

I will be creating the Under Glass group thread by the end of this week. I will tag everyone who has a finished truck so you guys can add yours to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, foghorn62 said:

Well guys, I guess I’m calling this one done.  Despite some challenges along the way with the gloss black paint, and other fairly minor frustrations, all in all I can say that I’m pretty happy with it.  I’ve always said that if I can place my builds on the table near those of the many great builders that I have become acquainted with over the years, then I am proud to do so.  So here on this virtual table that Dennis started so long ago, with so many really awesome builds, I am setting mine.  There is still plenty of room for more.

Thanks,

TS

A668CF4D-7985-4679-B1BB-4A5805C151F3.jpeg

8EAD22D6-0D22-40E8-8B97-0581033DB6EE.jpeg

B725E60F-E849-426F-8CA0-F47B980D77CB.jpeg

39DF29A4-6DF6-4D66-B28E-D396A6FB12B4.jpeg

6E310034-EB70-4678-9707-09F0EF42934F.jpeg

3DC8BD64-81BE-474B-9DA6-B98718A23A09.jpeg

@foghorn62 Tim,

Please add you completed pictures to the Under Glass thread at: 

Would like to include your Tribute build as finished! -KK

Edited by Kit Karson
Add Text

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

This may be one of the longest running threads here on the forum and thanks to @Dennis Lacy and all of the contributors that helped to make it such a raging success! -KK

Agreed!  I hope there’s a follow-up community build too - I really enjoyed watching this one!!

Also, still collecting parts for my contribution…getting closer to maybe thinking about starting 🤪