Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone deal with Motor City Resin Casters?

45 minutes ago, catpack68 said:

I waited too late to get a refund from Paypal unfortunately…

I did the same.  I figured Dave would get around to filling orders after he recovered from his "illness".  

I heard an interesting story about my order, but I won't divulge here.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:28 PM, catpack68 said:

I waited too late to get a refund from Paypal unfortunately…

A couple of months ago, I was on the phone with Bank of America about another matter. I happened to mention an order (from Clearly Scale) that I paid for with PayPal but never received. It was long past the 45 days - but she issued me a credit immediately. 

It doesn't hurt to ask.

John

37 minutes ago, john sharisky said:

A couple of months ago, I was on the phone with Bank of America about another matter. I happened to mention an order (from Clearly Scale) that I paid for with PayPal but never received. It was long past the 45 days - but she issued me a credit immediately. 

It doesn't hurt to ask.

John

Thanks for the info.I will probably get in touch with my bank to see about that.

Edited by catpack68

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Just an update on my order with Motor City Resin. On July 10th of 2023 I ordered Two Resin Kits, listed on their website. The Payment function was working, so I assumed that they were still in Business. I saw No mention of Fulfillment time or expected Delivery timeline. I have sent Four emails to his email address listed on the site with No Reply from Jeff Ballard. I asked for Order conformation and an expected approximate ship date. I waited 30 days and still No response. (By Federal Law, On Line retailers Must notify a Buyer by email, Phone or US Mail, if they cannot fulfill an order within 90 days) of placement. So All of you that waited a Year for your Kit, this fellow is clearly skirted Federal law.

I Contacted PayPal since my payment went thru that company. They are Contacting the Owner and I should know in Nine days if He responds or not. If he doesn't contact me, then I will request a Full Refund as well as his account being Audited for Fraud.

Yes, I know Jeff makes great kits,and they are very desirable for 1/25 Scale Modelers but I am getting tired of these Cottage Businesses getting away with taking your money and not giving you the decency of an email response, when you send an inquiry. Maybe this guy is Ill, or something else, If So I hope he recovers, but Stop Taking peoples Money!  If you Cannot provide the Product in a Reasonable time frame, If you are Too Ill to answer an email, then Please SHUT DOWN YOUR WEBSITE!

I will update this Post when I hear from Pay-Pal, But I advise All of you, Avoid this Seller, until Someone posts that they have actually made contact with this Owner in the last 30 Days or Actually Received a Kit in the past 30 days. Mr. Ballard needs to be reported to the Michigan State Attorney Generals office. You may think I am being Harsh, But after reading all these claims of never receiving kits or waiting Two years to get a Kit, Someone needs to Take Action ! Being Ill is No excuse for Taking Payments and Not producing the product in a Timely manner. If Jeff can Move money out of Pay-Pal into his Bank account, He can Reply to an email !

Edited by Eric T
omitted info
  • Like 4

I agree completely.

I think this thread should be taken as a major warning, and that no one should be doing business with this company.

As a somewhat related followup to my purchase...

I've since been able to 3d print versions of the Chev CK truck grilles I managed to get from Motor City. The 3d print files are much better, and far more accurate. And my prints are a big improvement over the resin pieces I received. Kind of shows where the technology can go in just a few short years.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, Eric T said:

All,

Just an update on my order with Motor City Resin. On July 10th of 2023 I ordered Two Resin Kits, listed on their website. The Payment function was working, so I assumed that they were still in Business. I saw No mention of Fulfillment time or expected Delivery timeline. I have sent Four emails to his email address listed on the site with No Reply from Jeff Ballard. I asked for Order conformation and an expected approximate ship date. I waited 30 days and still No response. (By Federal Law, On Line retailers Must notify a Buyer by email, Phone or US Mail, if they cannot fulfill an order within 90 days) of placement. So All of you that waited a Year for your Kit, this fellow is clearly skirted Federal law.

I Contacted PayPal since my payment went thru that company. They are Contacting the Owner and I should know in Nine days if He responds or not. If he doesn't contact me, then I will request a Full Refund as well as his account being Audited for Fraud.

Yes, I know Jeff makes great kits,and they are very desirable for 1/25 Scale Modelers but I am getting tired of these Cottage Businesses getting away with taking your money and not giving you the decency of an email response, when you send an inquiry. Maybe this guy is Ill, or something else, If So I hope he recovers, but Stop Taking peoples Money!  If you Cannot provide the Product in a Reasonable time frame, If you are Too Ill to answer an email, then Please SHUT DOWN YOUR WEBSITE!

I will update this Post when I hear from Pay-Pal, But I advise All of you, Avoid this Seller, until Someone posts that they have actually made contact with this Owner in the last 30 Days or Actually Received a Kit in the past 30 days. Mr. Ballard needs to be reported to the Michigan State Attorney Generals office. You may think I am being Harsh, But after reading all these claims of never receiving kits or waiting Two years to get a Kit, Someone needs to Take Action ! Being Ill is No excuse for Taking Payments and Not producing the product in a Timely manner. If Jeff can Move money out of Pay-Pal into his Bank account, He can Reply to an email !

UPDATE: As of 8/18/23, No Response from Mr. Ballard to Pay Pal regarding my order. No Response to my repeated emails on the status of my Kit order. After a Follow up call, Pay-Pal Closed the case and I will get All my Money Back  within Three Days. Pay Pal assured me that they will Shut Down the Pay-Pal Link from Motor City's Website. Mr. Ballard will No longer be able to Rip Off Modelers again ! Too Bad, I was looking forward to that 1967 Mustang Hardtop Kit as well as That 1967 Galaxie HT. Well at least I got the $114.00 back to my Credit Card.

So PLEASE BEWARE, Consider Motor City Resin OUT OF BUSINESS !

CASE CLOSED !

Edited by Eric T
  • Like 5

On 8/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I agree completely.

I think this thread should be taken as a major warning, and that no one should be doing business with this company.

Takeaways from this.

When you purchase from any company you should be receiving your merchandise in a timely fashion.

Know your rights for refund with y our payment process. Keep notes on when you talked to the seller.

Don't let the seller go past the refund deadline. If you do, realize you will probably get nothing.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, Rodent said:

If any of his molds and/or masters are in usable condition, I hope that someone in the Detroit resin community can get them back in production. He had some interesting stuff, if it actually ever existed.

I bought a few years ago his excellent 66 Barracuda Formula S model.   I received it fairly fast if I remember right.  I also bought a 69 Cobra hardtop resin body from him and again an excellent kit for the AMT 69 Fastback kit.   

I contacted my bank a couple of weeks ago about the issue with Motor City Resin casters and they told me that they could not issue me a credit since it’s been over two years ago when ordered.They pretty much told me if I the acted sooner with them or PayPal,I would have definitely got my money back.Looks like I will never get my order or my money back.Oh well🙄……

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 10:26 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Takeaways from this.

When you purchase from any company you should be receiving your merchandise in a timely fashion.

Know your rights for refund with y our payment process. Keep notes on when you talked to the seller.

Don't let the seller go past the refund deadline. If you do, realize you will probably get nothing.

Bob, Absolutely Correct. I have had this issue with a well known HO Model Train Resin caster who is no longer in business. Waiting 6 month for Resin Freight cart kits. He took checks only and cashed them immediately upon receipt. I have learned my lesson many times. 

1) Investigate the Vendor you are buying Mail Order from. Check Google for Complaints etc.

2) Pay by Pay-Pal or Credit card, Never mail a Personal check or Money Order ! Never pay by Bank Debit card !

3) Make sure that the Vendor has a working Contact Phone number as well as a Working email account, Get a Verification by email or phone that the Vendor has received your payment.

4) Make sure that you request a Shipping date or Approximate date for your item to be shipped, Request an email notification when item is shipped.

5) ALWAYS get a Tracking Number !

6) Make sure you know the maximum date you can file a claim with the Credit card Company or Pay-Pal and if you have Not received your package, FILE A CLAIM, BEFORE the Deadline.

7) Remember MOST On Line Vendors of Hobby Products are HONEST ! Only a few are Bad Apples. HAPPY MODELING .

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 8:40 AM, Eric T said:

All,

Actually he was shutdown. 

If you are using a credit card or PayPal understand what rights you have to get your money back. There is no reason to lose money on these transactions. If you are not going to get your product within that time frame then cancel the order. Otherwise you run the risk of losing your money.