Model Cars Magazine Forum

'84 Hurst/Olds - quick build

Quiet Eric

Working on this for a birth year build-off on another board. Obviously the kit is an '83 but with a color flip from black/silver to silver/black it magically becomes an '84! The red stripe in between will be a challenge. And since I can't leave anything alone, it's getting lowered as much as possible without really hacking things up, and getting the wheels/tires from a Revell '62 Impala kit. Spokes of the wheels will be painted dark grey. Otherwise, the kit will be stock save for maybe a new carburetor and air cleaner.

Adapting the kit wheel mounts to the new wheels. Also cut off the molded in kit disc brakes to both add separate bigger versions and to narrow the track up a little to fit the new wheels. Haven't sorted out the front suspension just yet.

spacer.png

Had to cut the tops of the rear wheelwells out and thin out the inside surface for clearance. Don't think I'll be doing anything else about them as they'll be very hidden. Kit rear springs will be cut down.

spacer.png

Up front I had to cheat a lot. Cut away as much of the bottom of the inner fenders as I could without causing a lot of problems. I don't think the area that was opened up will be very visible under the hood. And then, one of the ultimate sins...I cut the tire. Ideally I would like to find smaller outter diamater tires which would fit and look better, but I really don't want to invest a lot into this build and it's on a deadline.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final stance. It'll do!

spacer.png

Edited by Quiet Eric

43 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Gonna look cool.  Interesting about the flattened tire to make a lower stance, certainly a first for me. Look forward to further updates Eric.

My justification is that on a real car, you’d be able to make bigger wheels and tires fit and have this stance. But being a model, with the thickness of the plastic and the way all the parts are made it becomes difficult. So I have been known to cut a corner or two to get the look I want, especially if it’s just a quick shelf model.

Edited by Quiet Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the ‘69 Cutlass I was working on, now back on this one until it’s done. November 30th deadline. Cleaned up the seams and got it in primer. Got the suspension sorted out to lower it and have the wheels/tires final fit. Got 4-wheel disc brakes on it too.

F1994E0C-DBA9-423C-B4BB-ACA13081802A.jpeg

The two tone went well, then the decals weren't bad...had to cut away a lot of the edges trying to get as close to just the red as possible since I reversed the colors. Then I cleared it and everything went downhill. It looks ok in the picture but it is really bad. Going to finish it anyway, but this one will be at the back of the display case...if it doesn't live in a box the rest of it's life that is.

IMG_0968[1].JPG

59 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking good to me Eric.  The stripes are decals??

Yep. I cut away as much of the black and silver overlapping areas as possible. Didn’t get everything but close enough. Did use a good bit of Micro-Sol to get them to contour better.

Really wish I had tried Future for this one. It would have been great.

Edited by Quiet Eric