Model Cars Magazine Forum

91 Elliott IROC Daytona

1320wayne

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent work as usual. What engine did they use in those babies?  Did Earnhardt compete in one of those? 

Chrysler powerplant. Not sure of the displacement. 

Earnhardt competed in multiple years that they ran the Daytona body including 93 when he took over the Kulwicki ride after his death. He drove the car but left Kulwicki's name on the side.

6 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Chrysler powerplant. Not sure of the displacement. 

Earnhardt competed in multiple years that they ran the Daytona body including 93 when he took over the Kulwicki ride after his death. He drove the car but left Kulwicki's name on the side.

Interesting, I wonder if they ran the 360 v8 jeep motor that chrysler had aquired when they took over jeep. The engine that came with those cars was a 2.2 liter  4 banger. But i think there was a v6 option for it. I went to wikipedia just to get some background on the real charger daytona car in 1991.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Interesting, I wonder if they ran the 360 v8 jeep motor that chrysler had aquired when they took over jeep. The engine that came with those cars was a 2.2 liter  4 banger. But i think there was a v6 option for it. I went to wikipedia just to get some background on the real charger daytona car in 1991.

I don't know for sure but without the research my best guess is that they used the same 355ci combination that was being used by Jerry Churchill and Bob Kesolowski in their ARCA Chrysler Lebaron's in the late 80's. 

12 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

I don't know for sure but without the research my best guess is that they used the same 355ci combination that was being used by Jerry Churchill and Bob Kesolowski in their ARCA Chrysler Lebaron's in the late 80's. 

Thats sounds like thats probably what happened. There is so little info about these iroc  daytona chargers . At least that I have been able to find. It really made into a nice little race car.

• 5 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 9:01 PM, 1320wayne said:

Engines were built by Arrow Racing in Rochester, Michigan with help from Dodge Motorsports. Dodge R3 block with W2 heads and 4150 carb and 355 cubic inches.

Hi Wayne, what a beautiful build. I miss the IROC series, up here in Canada, they would air the races on the Wide World of Sports. The races would be in between horse jumping, ski jumping, track and field... whatever else happened to be on. 
The details are amazing, a very well executed model sir!

Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...