Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

Wow! That is gorgeous!! Amazing detail work you're putting in to this. I enjoyed reading through this build to see all the little details, especially the magnets for the hood hinges. I've used those before on the hood and trunk lid on a Tamiya Beetle but never thought of using them the way you did for an open/closed hood. Great idea.

Later-

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Wow! That is gorgeous!! Amazing detail work you're putting in to this. I enjoyed reading through this build to see all the little details, especially the magnets for the hood hinges. I've used those before on the hood and trunk lid on a Tamiya Beetle but never thought of using them the way you did for an open/closed hood. Great idea.

Later-

Thank you Tom , I've used the magnets on doors and even to hold a bubble top open .  I borrowed the idea for the hinges from Steve Guthmiller , he used them on one of his superb builds earlier this year .

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Impeccable work there Bob,  love everything about it.?

Thanks much Mike !  I'm really hoping I can finish it before the end of the year . 

On 12/13/2020 at 7:37 PM, ModelcarJR said:

Looks great, Bob! I like the vinyl roof, color and the Detail Master working tie-downs. I have used them before and they add some nice detail not to mention all the other detail you have added. Nice work! ? ?

Thanks John !  My first time using the hood pin kit and it was a bit tricky , especially tying the almost invisible wires to the pins !

A couple of nights ago it was the moment of truth . . . assembling the body , interior , and chassis for the final time .  Other then some fiddling with the dashboard everything slid right into place ! :)  Looks like those rear wheels need an alignment . . . easy fix .

While finishing off the engine compartment I thought it wouldn't be a Roadrunner without a genuine Beep-Beep horn !

The horn in place along with heater , brake vacuum , and radiator overflow hoses , all made from various sizes of insulated wire .

That's about it !  Just a couple minor details to fix and I'll take some photos for "Under Glass" . :)