Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

On 11/2/2020 at 9:29 PM, slusher said:

Well detailed engine!

Thanks Carl !

On 11/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, TransAmMike said:

Although I'm not a big Mopar fan,  certain cars just have "the look" and your's is one of them.  Beautiful engine, cool car. ?

Thanks ! 

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Thanks much Dann !

UPDATE 11-9-20    I purchased the Roadrunner Grille Insert from Greg Wann , they are really nice and Greg is a great guy to deal with !  The inserts are designed to fit the Monogram 1/24 scale grilles so I had intended to modify one of those to fit the 1/25 body , but then realized to was much easier to fit the insert to the MPC grille .

The plan is to file a recess in the MPC grille .

The insert was carefully located then some CA glue was used to attach it permanently .

A little trimming and it's done .

I painted the grille Dark Argent with a black wash and Light Argent was used to accent the headlight openings . The Roadrunner was a real pain and took two tries to get it decent .

Next I mixed a dab of white with some clear and painted the molded headlight lenses .

And here's the finished grille !   The overhead light is reflecting off the paint , it's actually much darker than in  the photo .

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

The dash and steering wheel are from the Charger kit .

The 1971 Charger dashboard certainly is a better-detailed piece (defogger vents , correct dash pad layout ) and its steering column is properly-adorned , too . 

I recognise that you've eliminated the Charger's air conditioning deflectors / vents --- how did you go about that ?

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The 1971 Charger dashboard certainly is a better-detailed piece (defogger vents , correct dash pad layout ) and its steering column is properly-adorned , too . 

I recognise that you've eliminated the Charger's air conditioning deflectors / vents --- how did you go about that ?

The A/C vents were pretty shallow and were easily filled with acrylic paint , no sanding needed .

Looking great. I am enjoying watching your build process. I have one I started back in the early 1990s I really need to finish. If I was to do it again, I'd certainly do as you did with the 70 Charger underbody. I'm too lazy and too far along now for that to happen. I'm not happy with how far rearward I applied the roof pillar graphics, but one of these days I'll finish it. Anyway, yours is looking great! What color is it going to be?

IMG 8939rt

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Looking great. I am enjoying watching your build process. I have one I started back in the early 1990s I really need to finish. If I was to do it again, I'd certainly do as you did with the 70 Charger underbody. I'm too lazy and too far along now for that to happen. I'm not happy with how far rearward I applied the roof pillar graphics, but one of these days I'll finish it. Anyway, yours is looking great! What color is it going to be?

IMG 8939rt

Thanks much Dave !  The Charger parts turned out to be a much easier upgrade than I thought , working on the underbody now and should have some pics soon .  As for color I almost went with a blue/white like yours but settled on Y8 Gold Leaf Poly .  It's not your usual Roadrunner color and is a bit classier looking , should have the paint tomorrow !