Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

Very nice build subject Bob

(I have several of these mopar body types to build in my stash)

Very impressive work on the engine bay

You convinced me to try some Fireball parts with your preview of tires, Thank You again

I am looking forward to this build very much

Thank You for sharing with Us here

Later

Russ

On 10/27/2020 at 4:59 PM, rustybill1960 said:

Very nice build subject Bob

(I have several of these mopar body types to build in my stash)

Very impressive work on the engine bay

You convinced me to try some Fireball parts with your preview of tires, Thank You again

I am looking forward to this build very much

Thank You for sharing with Us here

Later

Russ

Thanks Russ !  You will be very happy with Fireball Modelworks , great prices and service too !

Yesterday I started on the engine from the Charger kit , not an expert but I'm guessing it's a 383/440 engine ?   After white primer I masked of the block and sprayed the transmission Flat Aluminum , then masked the trans and painted the engine Hemi Orange .

Carb , coil , and exhaust manifolds installed .   Distributor base is for a MAD distributor , I added the vacuum advance and hose . I also added a PCV Valve and hose , and the brass fitting for vacuum hose to the brake booster .

Yesterday I also painted a bunch of the smaller parts but turns out I rushed things a bit .  The belts/pulleys have A/C and I want to remove that so time to cut it apart . I forgot to take a pic so I've added the drawing from the instructions .

I'm also cutting up the belts from the Roadrunner kit and will combine the two .

Modified belts/pulleys on the engine .  Boy those belts are big !

I usually thin the belts with a file but this time I'll snip them one at a time and replace with .020" x .040" strips .

It's much easier than you may think .  I didn't do the inside belts since they're not really visible . Looks like I need to add a lower alternator bracket !

Finished belts !

12 hours ago, TooOld said:

Yesterday I started on the engine from the Charger kit , not an expert but I'm guessing it's a 383/440 engine ? 

The engine in the 1971 Charger represents a stock 440 Magnum .  Yes , in-scale , this engine could be any 1970-1978 383 / 400 or 440 *in "real" life there is a difference between those displacements' engine families ; means nothing in-scale , however .

That "383" engine looks quite lovely ! All it needs is a decal for the air cleaner lid which reads : "383 Road Runner Engine" . I must inquire , however , as to why you decided to scrap the A/C setup (?) . You've already got the correct bonnet for an A/C equipped car (the standard bonnet) , as the Air Grabber couldn't be had with A/C .

Keep up the great work !

11 hours ago, Bainford said:

It’s coming along nicely. The belts look great!

4 hours ago, afx said:

Clever idea on the belts.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Sweet looking engine! I'll have to remember that tip regarding the belts.

Thanks for sharing it.

David G.

Thanks guys !  The belt idea is pretty easy to do as long you only cut one at a time . 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The engine in the 1971 Charger represents a stock 440 Magnum .  Yes , in-scale , this engine could be any 1970-1978 383 / 400 or 440 *in "real" life there is a difference between those displacements' engine families ; means nothing in-scale , however .

That "383" engine looks quite lovely ! All it needs is a decal for the air cleaner lid which reads : "383 Road Runner Engine" . I must inquire , however , as to why you decided to scrap the A/C setup (?) . You've already got the correct bonnet for an A/C equipped car (the standard bonnet) , as the Air Grabber couldn't be had with A/C .

Keep up the great work !

Thanks for the info John , I figured externally it could be any big block .  I do have a 383 Roadrunner decal for the air cleaner lid so I'm all set . As for removing the A/C , it's just a personal preference . I think the engine looks much nicer without the compressor sticking up in the front !

On 10/29/2020 at 9:19 AM, Mr mopar said:

Looking real good Bob !

Thanks !

On 10/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, James2 said:

Coming along nicely

Thanks Rooster !

On 10/29/2020 at 12:27 PM, slusher said:

Real nice touch on the belts...

Thanks Carl !

Finally had some time yesterday to get a bit more done on  the engine . Lower alternator bracket was added , and I modified a Chevy fuel pump to resemble a Mopar pump and added fuel line made from solder .

Also made a fuel filter out of styrene rod .

Oil filter glued in place and I added a dipstick .

I modified the air cleaner housing by opening up the snorkels , adding vacuum lines , and I added the hose to the valve cover breather .

Here's the housing decal artwork I created a while ago . It lost a little resolution when reduced but still looks pretty good .

35 - 383 RR ari cleaner and decal

And the finished housing . It still needs coat of clear . :)

Edited by TooOld

This is going to be some build, that engine looks fantastic. One of the most exciting parts of a build for me is the engine. I found a pack of diodes from Radio Shack serve well as in line fuel filters, they even come with the fuel line attached! 

Edited by Rockford