Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

Been a very long time since I've posted a WIP , probably because I never finish them , but here goes .  I've got both the MPC Roadrunner and a Monogram "71 Satellite kit but when comparing the two the MPC body is so much nicer it's the one I'm using .  Plus it can be easily upgraded using the more detailed AMT Charger R/T kit .

One part from the Monogram kit I am using is the hood .  The size difference in this photo is an optical illusion , it's not that bad .

Here's the actual difference . 

A few minutes of sanding on a flat surface and the hood fits great .

Before prepping the body for paint I'm going to glue the rear valence in place using the bumper as a guide .

Up next is taking the engine compartment from the Charger and adding it to the Roadrunner body .

More pics coming soon !

6 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Bob it's looking good so far !

2 hours ago, espo said:

A lot of splicing and dicing but it sure looks good. 

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Really enjoy these projects that meld the best of available parts, and this is a nice body style, so I'll be following! What shade of red are you painting it? (hint hint...)

Thanks for looking guys !  Haven't decided on a color yet , still looking at pics on the internet . 

I used a razor saw to cut the engine compartment from the Charger body .  Then a Dremel and file to remove the extra thickness caused by remnants of the body .

First test fit using the MPC interior tub and the Charger chassis .

I've done a few chassis swaps like this before and this is definitely the easiest one yet , the Charger chassis fits right into the MPC body .  The only modification was to snip off two locating tabs at the rear and two small frame extensions at the front .  Also there was some grinding in the tunnel area so that the interior tub would fit on the chassis .

13 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

Very nice. This is my favorite body style B-body. I built that Roadrunner kit as a kid and it subsequently was rebuilt numerous times, I have a soft spot for that yellow plastic! Haha.

Before it eventually died completely.

Thanks Eric !  Personally I can't stand yellow plastic but this one doesn't seem to be as "soft" as others I've had .

12 hours ago, afx said:

Great looking project Bob.

Thanks JC

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice work so far, Bob!

Thanks Carl !

Engine compartment is glued in place after I added some flanges made out of styrene strips to the sides , also added a new hood latch plate .  Here I'm fitting everything to make sure there are no surprises later on .  Firewall , dash , and windshield are from the Charger . . . everything fits great !

18 hours ago, charger74 said:

I noticed that you changed the hood latch on your engine compartment, where did you get the new one ?

I made it from some plastic sheet , took a couple tries  .

On 10/25/2020 at 2:56 PM, Bob Ellis said:

I used the ERTL Charger chassis on the MPC 1974 Super Charger. Had some fit issues to use the 1974 interior but he results were nice

Yep , that's the only issue I had too . A little grinding on the tunnels solved the problem .

I received this Rallye Wheel and Tire set from Fireball Modelworks last week , really nice stuff and it comes with Goodyear tire decals too !

I quickly mocked it up too see how they look . Really nice but the tires are just a bit too big , the rears hit the body and the fronts interfere with the poseable steering . This could be fixed but maybe I can find different tires .

So I started digging for some different tires and I found these in the AMT '68 Camaro kit , they're not as wide and just slightly smaller in diameter than the first ones so they don't hit anything . These look great but the front ride height could be a little lower .

Edited by TooOld

3 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Yep , that's the only issue I had too . A little grinding on the tunnels solved the problem .

I received this Rallye Wheel and Tire set from Fireball Modelworks last week , really nice stuff and it comes with Goodyear tire decals too !

I quickly mocked it up too see how they look . Really nice but the tires are just a bit too big , the rears hit the body and the fronts interfere with the poseable steering .

So I started digging for some different tires and I found these in the AMT '68 Camaro kit , they're not as wide and just slightly smaller in diameter than the first ones so they don't hit anything . These look great but the front ride height could be a little lower .

Those wheels are awesome. Much better than the MPC originals. I cant believe Round 2 can't find this 1971 Roadrunner body. It was with ERTL.

17 hours ago, TooOld said:

I quickly mocked it up too see how they look . Really nice but the tires are just a bit too big , the rears hit the body and the fronts interfere with the poseable steering . This could be fixed but maybe I can find different tires .

I know it's not finished, but it looks really good in that side profile pic

21 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Those wheels are awesome. Much better than the MPC originals. I cant believe Round 2 can't find this 1971 Roadrunner body. It was with ERTL.

12 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looks realy good! Nice set of wheels as well for it!

4 hours ago, Rbray47 said:

I know it's not finished, but it looks really good in that side profile pic

Thanks Bob , Matt , and Randy !  Joseph's parts are always superb and these wheels are no exception !

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice job Bob, I did essentially the same kind of improvement on my MPC '72 Roadrunner with the recent AMT '71 Charger kit (I did a drag car though).  It's my favorite type of project not to mention the Roadrunner is one of my favorite Mopar body no matter the year.   Keep up the good work!

Thanks Francis ! I've done a few chassis swaps like this and it really pays off .

3 hours ago, slusher said:

The stance looks really good too me, Bob. Going to lower the front?

Thanks much Carl !  I was thinking about it but the more I look at it the more I like the way it sits right now .  The front spindles are already flipped to get the ride height in my pics so they would need to modified to get it any lower .