Model Cars Magazine Forum

Should I ? 57 Ford

Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

That’s where it’s going. The original builder had a vision, did pretty well on the fabrication, and lost it with the paint and finish. Especially the hand brushed Testors silver somewhat on the trim. 

I even like the two tone burgundy and silver, and just happen to have those in Duplicolor.  

I think it will be a nice custom build. You'll do it justice Tom.

14 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looks better already, Tom. Looks like the roof is what needs the most attention.

Exactly. Whatever was holding on the perfectly molded trunk lid melted in brake fluid! The part broke off and I will need to glue it back and mold it in again.

The transition between the Continental roof and 57 roof will be problematic. There was plastic added above the side windows and that all has come apart. 

The biggest obstacle is that our original builder had glued in a block of plastic to the headliner area. I will need to either remove or sand it flat.. of course this is the one bit that’s glued in solid! Maybe I’ll start messing with this tonight.

14 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Following this one... 

What about the doors? Were they stripped of old pain5 as well?

yes, both doors stripped well but they are messy where builder glued in door cards.. I have spares I can use. 

23 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Exactly. Whatever was holding on the perfectly molded trunk lid melted in brake fluid! The part broke off and I will need to glue it back and mold it in again.

The transition between the Continental roof and 57 roof will be problematic. There was plastic added above the side windows and that all has come apart. 

The biggest obstacle is that our original builder had glued in a block of plastic to the headliner area. I will need to either remove or sand it flat.. of course this is the one bit that’s glued in solid! Maybe I’ll start messing with this tonight.

yes, both doors stripped well but they are messy where builder glued in door cards.. I have spares I can use. 

So removing the plastic head liner if it’s over glue would break the body?

F156E230-2E86-4240-AD79-7B9B9BD9F280.thumb.jpeg.a8a273d5c63db69d7d67ab9012819613.jpeg

Worked a bit this morning. I found the ex-roof from this car in the parts box, and whittled down one of the rear pillars to replace the missing A pillar, so that’s done.

I saw that the bar inside the roof had a loose corner so I managed to yank it off. And as predicted the roof came apart and I glued it back together with gap filling thick CA. Same with the tailgate. And I gave it all a coat of putty. Once dried overnight I’ll sand it down to see what we’ve got.

8250D812-46CF-4908-BC9D-002200E13132.thumb.jpeg.e572b2b91894ffe9525716d19211c793.jpeg