Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

4 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Hey Michael thanks for the input. I tried some new things with this build, and in all honesty this is the first issue like this I’ve had. I don’t think it was the Slixx decals, I normally don’t use setting solutions on decals, but I did on this one. I also used Splash 2K clear. I also painted it in my impatience in 50 degree weather. 
It was pure chance that Slixx came out with this decal as my first thought was to adapt the Dart decals to the build.

I don’t think the 50 degree weather I paint when it’s cool out all the time .I find as long as the humidity is low i ok. If you blow up the dart photo you can see all the tiny decal wrinkles the happened from the clear coat

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Such a shame your build was coming along nicely till this happened. On this era of cars I never put clear over the decals.

Edgar

I not sure what’s best as I have models built 30- 40 years ago and the decals flake and peel off or turn yellow. I’m about to turn 66, and probably shouldn’t be as concerned with how long they last.

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

I not sure what’s best as I have models built 30- 40 years ago and the decals flake and peel off or turn yellow. I’m about to turn 66, and probably shouldn’t be as concerned with how long they last.

I know what you mean I turn 67 this August, we have more years behind us than ahead of us.  The only reason I don't put clear over decals is that I've seen/heard people say the clear attacked them. I look forward to your completion of this build and many more in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 11:00 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Well Roger, despite the problem with the decals I'm glad to see that you are continuing the build of the Hornet because it's really a rare and interesting subject.

Thanks Francis, I really appreciate the feedback from this forum. It’s setbacks that put some great builds back in the box never to be finished. Scott8950 put the repaint into perspective for me. I enjoy showing my builds at shows, I’ve won a few trophies mostly second and third places, but I don’t show them to win a trophy. I just want to share my build and perhaps make a contact with someone of similar interest. Let’s face it, there’s not a lot of model car builders out there and those that are, seem very quiet about it. 
Im definitely not on your level, or those of Clay Kemp or Jay Savarese ( hope I spelled the right), and probably never will be, and I’m ok with that! 
I enjoy the challenge and building something most people don’t have.

This time,  no clear over the decals!

On 2/26/2023 at 11:34 AM, catpack68 said:

Sucks you had to strip it. I try not to clearcoat over decals as I have had problems in the past. I would’ve left it just is but I understand.Looking forward to seeing it painted again and finished👍

Thanks  Scott, it’s primed again, and this time, no Clear over the decals!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Zippi said:

I've always been a little Leary about shooting clear over decals.  You get it right Buddy.

It has bitten me a couple times in the past now i always do a VERY light coat then i wait about 10 minutes and repeat before I spray a wet coat on. So far its worked..

On 4/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, dragcarz said:

The Tamiya paint crazed and bubbled. It’s back in the stripper.

That is strange.  The body was prepped and washed and let dry right?  What primer did you use?

• 3 weeks later...

I stripped the body, then sanded any and all primer off, repaired the body work and it’s back in Tamiya primer. I’m trying to get my courage up, and some lower humidity and warmer weather before my third attempt.

3C80FC87-A59D-4958-A723-10742316067B.jpeg

29DF89C9-6D40-4155-9D86-36E561B831C6.jpeg

C7FC1AA7-3474-41DB-89E5-602D62FBF057.jpeg

• Like 3

Beautiful weather for painting 77 degrees, 39% Humidity, so I reshot the Hornet. A couple Fisheyes in the roof, but nothing that noticeable, especially after the large roof decal is applied. Im gonna wait for a while before I clear it and apply decals. 

527C1173-F7FE-4C87-8646-49596EEC9731.jpeg

36D4C60C-45E7-47ED-82D3-9F99CE2586D4.jpeg

• Like 2