Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Chopped Sedan Street Rod

SpeedShift

While waiting for decent painting conditions on my other project I thought I'd take a look at a few other WIP.

I had seen some nice looking chopped '32 sedans, and who doesn't like the Orange Crate...?

Lots of inspirational pictures on the internet.

Revell '32 Ford Sedan Street Rod kit is the starting point, however I'd like to back date the modern street rod enhancements and replace with some "vintage" touches.

First task was chopping the top....(wish I had taken a picture when I started).

328.jpg

32tudor2.jpg

696.jpg

• Like 2

My parts stash had an old set of Replicas and Miniatures Kelsey Hayes wheels that had  been sitting around waiting for a project.

The set included some very nice big and little white wall tires, and photo etched spokes that Detail Master had made for the kit.

It took quite a bit of patience and careful handling,  as each wheel has several sets of photo etch spokes for both the front and back of the wheel, that had to be bent on the outside of each of the rims, and off set with the adjacent spokes, when supergluing to each other.

For the engine, I think I'll do a vintage flathead with some vintage treatments, lots of aftermarket choices for that.

Body will be a jet black with modest vintage white pinstriping, ala the old "Black Widow". 

PB112830.JPG

PB112832.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 2

Have you considered (or tried) attaching the interior panels to the inside of the body rather than to the floor, and then slip the body (with attached door panels) onto the floor/frame?

I’ve done that with the other Revell Deuce kits before and it worked great - although not with this body style specifically... 

53 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Have you considered (or tried) attaching the interior panels to the inside of the body rather than to the floor, and then slip the body (with attached door panels) onto the floor/frame?

I’ve done that with the other Revell Deuce kits before and it worked great - although not with this body style specifically... 

I think that is what I need to do.

I may need to adjust or trim the bottom of the side panels as I think they need to seat clean w/o benefit of preassembly.

I thought I noticed the same issue with the 5 window deuce.

Thanks Jim!

Working the difficult part...the wheel attachments to front and rear axles, and placement of front and rear suspension to get the desired stance.

Going aftermarket and parts box on front and rear axles,  Replicas and Miniatures with a Halibrand rear axle and a Revell 29 Ford P/U rear axle.

32 tudor sedan.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 1

Worked on the front suspension to get the extra drop in the front end.

Will mount the front leaf spring behind the dropped axle to get the extra drop.

Also channeled the rear floor board to get the body shell lowered a bit more over the frame and rear axle.

I think  have the stance I want.

Need to move on to an engine build. 

32 front axle leaf spring.JPG

32 sedan front leaf spring.JPG

32 sedan dropped front axle stance.JPG

32 sedan rear halibrand.JPG

• Like 1

Man the chop looks great. I just started the chop on a 32 sedan last night. What did you do to get the A pillars to line up? I had to tilt mine back a bit.  

Also, small suggestion: you could pinch those front rails by sectioning the crossmember. Then then stubby frame rails would be hidden behind the grille shell. I did it on a 1/8 big deuce and it turned out really nice. The headlights are in the way, but the front of the frame is hidden behind the grille. 

32lakes006.jpg

• Like 2

Really like your big deuce and the look.

I'm about to start a flathead engine build for this, once I see how much width is needed for header clearance under the full hood, I'll look into this.

On the A pillars, I used the Revell kit...wish I had taken pictures when I chopped the top,  think I may have bent the pillars slightly to match.

Revell 32-FORD-SEDAN (2).jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 1